Acronym.

Westbrook

3 minutes ago, capnpyro said:

I was extremely impressed with 18montrose, I'm in southern california, I ordered a J48 on Monday and was wearing it on Wednesday. Plus no additional tax or shipping.

Curious to know if they remove the VAT at checkout?

Union was initially in store + online drop but then they realized they needed to backdoor items so they changed it to online only  

edit- you wondering can why Union didn't have a small J1TS-S when their site went live? It's because an employee had already listed it on Grailed the night before their  Thursday release (that jacket is still listed btw). SUS

anyway, friends in LA who missed out on the butchered Union drop .. COMMISSARY in Costa Mesa will very likely be the last retailer to receive stock for this season. IN STORE today.. online tomorrow

https://commissarystores.com

p limited stock (no P25, no dual tone J1TS)

Edited by austinalamualaykum

1 hour ago, GFNS said:

Curious to know if they remove the VAT at checkout?

Nope. And I asked them about this. Their response was "Regarding your query on VAT, we do not reduce the pricing for orders outside the EU."

If you order from 18 Montrose and you live outside the EU, you're paying too much.

^ Was checking P24 prices earlier today and still found them totally comparable w/ other stateside retailers (ex. Bodega, everyone is ranging between $700-750USD). Refusing to deduct the VAT for non-EU export is still a bitch move tho.

w/o VAT, they'd be @ $615, which would beat everyone but Bodega. FWIW, I ended up ordering from 18Montrose w/ the idea that I'd 'discuss' when they open up on Monday...

3 minutes ago, Appleseed said:

^ Was checking P24 prices earlier today and still found them totally comparable w/ other stateside retailers (ex. Bodega, everyone is ranging between $700-750USD). Refusing to deduct the VAT for non-EU export is still a bitch move tho.

w/o VAT, they'd be @ $615, which would beat everyone but Bodega. FWIW, I ended up ordering from 18Montrose w/ the idea that I'd 'discuss' when they open up on Monday...

To complete their statement on VAT they added this "For your reference, this is a matter we are looking into but our current website build does not have a function for it."

If anyone is in NYC, Kith still has a black J1ts-S in size M along with some p10a's. There's also a duo tone in the display case in (I think) a size M. The j1ts-S is definitely more expensive than from other retailers ($1450).

31 minutes ago, Voyager said:

"For your reference, this is a matter we are looking into but our current website build does not have a function for it."

I don't know enough about e-commerce platforms to say whether that's BS or not - but nothing should keep them from refunding the VAT amount to the VISA/PayPal account.

Are we sure that 18montrose charges VAT for non-EU customers by including it in the price of the item? The J1TS-S I ordered from them has a price tag of 1,065.00. The invoice lists "Tax 177.50", but the Total is still 1,065.00. So either VAT is not collected at all or it's included in the price of the item?

Anyone have conclusive evidence and not just speculation?

Okay, so their Terms & Conditions mention VAT twice:

"Prices are inclusive of VAT."

"All prices are inclusive of VAT at the current rates and are correct at the time of entering the information onto the system."

Is it legal for a retailer to charge and collect VAT and keep it for themselves since the sale was not subject to VAT and will not be collected by any country as taxes?

Edited by goodtimeshaxor

24 minutes ago, goodtimeshaxor said:

Is it legal

Asks the person w/ 'Arbitrage' as their occupation :)

Obv. plenty of regulatory agencies play a role here, but, realistically, where are you going to turn as a consumer? Simplest solution is to vote w/ your wallet (cancel order / return if they refuse)...

As far as I was concerned, their price is still totally competitive w/ most of the other retailers, inclusive of VAT.

19 minutes ago, Appleseed said:

Asks the person w/ 'Arbitrage' as their occupation :)

Obv. plenty of regulatory agencies play a role here, but, realistically, where are you going to turn as a consumer? Simplest solution is to vote w/ your wallet (cancel order / return if they refuse)...

As far as I was concerned, their price is still totally competitive w/ most of the other retailers, inclusive of VAT.

You can report them to HM Revenue but that's snitching. 

:D

as far as i know, you can't actually get a win-win on not being hit by taxes upon import (via marked down parcel value) AND have the retailer refund VAT.

as they have already paid VAT during import, for them to get a VAT refund on their end after the sale, they need to produce shipping documents proving the respective marked value and with an address outside the EU.

capnpyro mentioned that he wasn't hit with taxes upon import, which i guess means the parcel's value was marked down. wouldn't be possible for them to get a VAT refund in that case.

above info was told to me by a friend who used to work in a store in the EU.

Not asking for value to me marked down - just for VAT to be excluded from non-EU sale, which is absolutely done by other UK/EU retailers (Hanon, Firmament, etc.)

Now, if the item is subject to US Duty/Customs upon import to the buyer, then that's fine and fair (and how the larger system is supposed to work itself out). P24's fall below the new $800 threshold, however - so absolutely should be win-win for said buyer (me).

Not my problem or responsibility to address the retailer process for getting VAT refunded on their end. That's what mark-up and overhead covers...

4 hours ago, Voyager said:

Nope. And I asked them about this. Their response was "Regarding your query on VAT, we do not reduce the pricing for orders outside the EU."

If you order from 18 Montrose and you live outside the EU, you're paying too much.

SMH.  Thanks for the info.

On 4/13/2017 at 8:52 AM, hjpx said:

And you can't really buy a jacket just because it has beautiful seams, can you. But definately an absolute luxury purchase.

Sure you can :)

I'm enjoying my j46-ws and it's pretty plain, especially since I prefer to tuck the outer pocket flaps in.

BTW, what are my fellow j46 owners using those two low zippered pockets on the sides for? 

30 minutes ago, spladow said:

Sure you can :)

I'm enjoying my j46-ws and it's pretty plain, especially since I prefer to tuck the outer pocket flaps in.

BTW, what are my fellow j46 owners using those two low zippered pockets on the sides for? 

Gloves.  I stashed my Cav Empt pair, separately, in each pocket for quick access to them when required.

5 hours ago, goodtimeshaxor said:

Are we sure that 18montrose charges VAT for non-EU customers by including it in the price of the item? The J1TS-S I ordered from them has a price tag of 1,065.00. The invoice lists "Tax 177.50", but the Total is still 1,065.00. So either VAT is not collected at all or it's included in the price of the item?

Anyone have conclusive evidence and not just speculation?

Okay, so their Terms & Conditions mention VAT twice:

Is it legal for a retailer to charge and collect VAT and keep it for themselves since the sale was not subject to VAT and will not be collected by any country as taxes?

ive contacted them about vat in the past but they just ignored me. -_-

Just found this in my junk folder. Is it me or does it sound like they tell us it's not that awesome, so measure twice if you really really want to go to Berlin?? Anyway I guess it's too late for me anyway.

Hi there!

Thank you very much for your application to participate in the GORE-TEX® & ACRONYM® Consumer Feedback Session on April 19th in Berlin.

We would really like to meet you in Berlin, however, I quickly wanted to follow up with you to see if we can take you into consideration for an appointment. As communicated, you will NOT be compensated for any expenses - travel, accommodation, etc. - that might arise if you plan on coming to Berlin. You would need to arrive in Berlin in time for your appointment. Once confirmed, we cannot re-schedule. If you miss your appointment, we can also not schedule a new interview session with you.

Each appointment will last approx. 45 minutes; after the appointment you will be able to purchase a piece (there are two styles; they will also be made available via the ACR online shop and a small number of global ACR dealers). After each session, we will kindly ask participants to leave the space as the following appointments need to start in time and without disturbance. There will be no "extra curricular" activities, etc.

Please also visit the application page again, for all necessary details regarding this event: http://www.beinghunted.com/rsvp

If you are willing to make the trip, please let me know by today - I need a definite confirmation that if picked, you will travel to Berlin - and we can put you on the list that participants will be picked from.

All the best from Berlin!

Jörg

A friend of mine just showed me this today and it might be common knowledge, but I figured some of you may not know this already -

Paypal by default converts foreign currency themselves and uses a currency rate that benefits Paypal, not the consumer. Some of us are getting screwed on currency exchange when buying from foreign retailers

You can tell Paypal to bill you in the currency of the retailer. Go to Profile > Payments > My Preapproved Payments > Set Available Funding Sources > Conversion Options

Now you might end up getting screwed by your bank or credit card company on the exchange rate in addition to possible fees that would accompany the transaction, but that would depend on the financial institution you deal with. In my case, my bank's exchange rate is significantly better than paypal.

33 minutes ago, Voyager said:

A friend of mine just showed me this today and it might be common knowledge, but I figured some of you may not know this already -

Paypal by default converts foreign currency themselves and uses a currency rate that benefits Paypal, not the consumer. Some of us are getting screwed on currency exchange when buying from foreign retailers

You can tell Paypal to bill you in the currency of the retailer. Go to Profile > Payments > My Preapproved Payments > Set Available Funding Sources > Conversion Options

Now you might end up getting screwed by your bank or credit card company on the exchange rate in addition to possible fees that would accompany the transaction, but that would depend on the financial institution you deal with. In my case, my bank's exchange rate is significantly better than paypal.

great tip. one that i've been using for a while now! their default is terrible

edit: this is useful for checking the current exchange rate that you will see on your statement at time of transaction. it's based on a 24h period so the rate stays fixed for that day regardless of market conditions. applies to visa users only

https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html/

Edited by chris_n
added info

41 minutes ago, hoju said:

Anyone have experience shrinking P10A-S in the washer/dryer?

I didn't intentionally shrink my P10-S, but they've definitely shrunk and faded after washing a number of times. I have never put them in the dryer, but I can imagine that you could probably do some serious shrinking that way.

21 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I didn't intentionally shrink my P10-S, but they've definitely shrunk and faded after washing a number of times. I have never put them in the dryer, but I can imagine that you could probably do some serious shrinking that way.

according to this datasheet, it's only supposed to see +/-3% shrinkage

http://www.stotzfabrics.ch/outdoorstoffe/pdf/EtaProof_E.pdf

would you find that accurate?

Edited by chris_n