Acronym.

Westbrook

28 minutes ago, spladow said:

Ink jacks their prices so much compared to HBX that it's not really worth purchasing from them. They're both located in Hong Kong, so they can't really blame it on customs duties either.

Also, Nomad doesn't stock Acronym.

Edited by rnstyip

I think my endgame piece is the P10A-CH.  I love acronym with a passion but 90% of their stuff is priced too highly for me to be able to justify purchasing.  Though i would love to own it all I couldnt sleep at night if I spent that much money on clothing.  ( runner up endgame piece would be the J39) 

35 minutes ago, Voyager said:

If we're doing the release-prep posts now might as well get this one out of the way. US duties cheat codes.

If you order a jacket valuing over $800 from Acronym and you live in the USA, you'll be paying painfully high duties.

HOW TO LOWER YOUR DUTIES IF YOU LIVE IN THE USA

UPS Brokerage accounting department 866-493-7140
Give them your tracking number and tell them that you have a package due to arrive and it isn't classified as specifically as it should be. And as a result of its vague classification, the duties are set way too high. This is actually true.
They might be able to change the classification right then and there, but sometimes they will tell you that you need to speak to the agent in charge of your package and they will give you the number for that office. If they don't just call the Dallas office. They usually have their shit together there.
UPS Shipping and logistics Dallas office 972-304-6978
If you give them your tracking number they should direct you to an agent in charge of your package. Explain to them your situation. They will probably give you a classification that Acronym specified (6203.33.xxxx) which has a duty rate of 27% which is insanely high. Tell them that the classification is not necessarily incorrect, but it's just not specific enough. Give your agent the following classification numbers:
6201.99.8010 - for Cotton (Stotz)
6201.99.8020 - for Wool (LP - that would be a pleasant surprise)
6201.99.8030 - for synthetics (SS, WS or GT)
This changes your rate to something like 4% and saves you hundreds of dollars.

Once your agent confirms the rate change...
UPS bill pay - 803-502-2525. Call these people and pay your lowered duties.

Much thanks again to CARLOOA for tracking down those classification numbers.

Wow, thanks for this. I am glad I don't have to retype this shit again.

9 minutes ago, Cairxoxo said:

That's a great guide. Anyone have any tips for ordering into Australia? From July 1st we will be paying tax on all imports, but for the moment we pay 10% Tax only if it exceeds $1000 AUD (which most Acronym jackets do).

Always get the right HS code. Same shit applies, usually catch all codes are more expensive than specific codes because of lobbying. 

4 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

Always get the right HS code. Same shit applies, usually catch all codes are more expensive than specific codes because of lobbying. 

I think for Australia it's almost irrelevant what the item actually is (unless it's something illegal or prohibited of course) you just get dinged if the value on the package is in excess of $1000 AUD. They then just charge the amount you would've been taxed had you purchased locally (10% Goods & Services Tax). I don't believe there is individual classifications that come into play.

17 minutes ago, Cairxoxo said:

I think for Australia it's almost irrelevant what the item actually is (unless it's something illegal or prohibited of course) you just get dinged if the value on the package is in excess of $1000 AUD. They then just charge the amount you would've been taxed had you purchased locally (10% Goods & Services Tax). I don't believe there is individual classifications that come into play.

That's a reasonable/well thought through tax.

1 minute ago, CARLOOA said:

That's a reasonable/well thought through tax.

Yep it's actually pretty reasonable like you said. Unfortunately that's changing from July 1st this year where every item imported into the country will be charged the 10% flat tax - no minimum threshold. Hell, it's even going to apply to digital products like Steam games.

1 hour ago, Cairxoxo said:

That's a great guide. Anyone have any tips for ordering into Australia? From July 1st we will be paying tax on all imports, but for the moment we pay 10% Tax only if it exceeds $1000 AUD (which most Acronym jackets do).

From the ATO "A vendor registration model will be used and suppliers with an Australian turnover of $75,000 or more in a twelve month period will be required to register and charge GST."

I very much doubt that any boutique or smaller shop selling Acronym will ever be affected by this law. And even if, that company needs to voluntarily start collecting GST, which is always unlikely to happen. Other than maybe END, who do a lot of business with us, this GST law probably won't mean anything for importing Acronym, so I wouldn't stress about buying after July.

I haven't found any real way to avoid import tax for over $1000, other than asking the seller to mark down value, but that generally depends on having a pre-existing relationship (AKA you've spent a lot with them before). It never hurts to ask though.

22 minutes ago, StolenBread said:

Would this work for Canada too? 

I looked into it for Canadian customs. Most types of jackets (in fact, most of ANYTHING) seem to have a 17/18% tax, so no luck for us.

Not a tax professional so I can't guarantee this, but doing a quick skim through some online documentation led me to this conclusion.

11 hours ago, spladow said:

Bringing back this post since there's a release coming up and it was really helpful to me before. 

Adding

Ink http://www.ink-clothing.com/ 

Union https://store.unionlosangeles.com/

fwrd http://www.fwrd.com/fw/Category.jsp?search=acronym

Idol https://www.idolbrooklyn.com/

Nitty Gritty (https://www.nittygrittystore.com/) usually stock Acronym as well. I also mailed them and they won't be getting any this week. However, the answer was quite unclear since the guy just told me "Sorry, unfortunately not" so I don't understand what he meant exactly. 

2 hours ago, Questlove said:

I looked into it for Canadian customs. Most types of jackets (in fact, most of ANYTHING) seem to have a 17/18% tax, so no luck for us.

Not a tax professional so I can't guarantee this, but doing a quick skim through some online documentation led me to this conclusion.

Goddamn, that's rough.

1 hour ago, junkie_dolphin said:

You might consider a "ship-to-the-border" service, if you're within range.

Would shipping to a PO box and clearing duties work out just the same then? 

I have no idea how to ship to border, or if acronym even has that set up on their site.

Just now, StolenBread said:

Goddamn, that's rough.

Would shipping to a PO box and clearing duties work out just the same then? 

I have no idea how to ship to border, or if acronym even has that set up on their site.

You'd use an independent service, which has addresses in cities all along the border—say, Buffalo—and you'd use that address when ordering from Acronym. Once the thing is shipped, you'd go through the same process as the one outlined above for avoiding import costs. The thing gets delivered to the Buffalo address, and then you cross the border yourself, pick the thing up, take it home (hoping border guards don't nail you—they're pretty lax when you're heading into Canada though.

23 minutes ago, junkie_dolphin said:

You'd use an independent service, which has addresses in cities all along the border—say, Buffalo—and you'd use that address when ordering from Acronym. Once the thing is shipped, you'd go through the same process as the one outlined above for avoiding import costs. The thing gets delivered to the Buffalo address, and then you cross the border yourself, pick the thing up, take it home (hoping border guards don't nail you—they're pretty lax when you're heading into Canada though.

Yeah that's what I had thought, thanks for the help!

Not sure Acronym would be willing to do this because they have so much activity at the same time with releases, but some stores also have those fields for additional instructions and you can try asking them to use the appropriate code when you check out. Might be worth a shot. 

3 hours ago, spladow said:

Not sure Acronym would be willing to do this because they have so much activity at the same time with releases, but some stores also have those fields for additional instructions and you can try asking them to use the appropriate code when you check out. Might be worth a shot. 

Good idea in theory.  However if their web shop's handling of past releases is any indication, it would a total disaster.  You would probably end up getting charged more, if your package even ended up in the right country lol

RLY? I mean yeah there is a 70EUR difference on J57, but it's a physical store compared to ENDs and ACRNM.COMs and the stuff is imported from europe. There is 1EUR difference on the nemen cotton pieces tho. Y-3 is even cheaper at haven than at Y-3.com. SISP pants are 58EUR cheaper at haven then at END.

So keep calm and support your local store, be glad that the shop with best selection (that goes in sale) is in your country and don't cry.