Acronym.

Westbrook

16 hours ago, brainerd666 said:

It's a little frustrating that there's only been mk-1's released over the last year or so. I bought the 3ts because it Looked more streamlined than the 3a-1 and has more versatility in terms of add ons. Tossing a couple mk's on gives you basically a 3a-1 with less storage. Hell- if I've done my math right, you can't even fit a decent re-usable water bottle in the mk with the flap closed (correct me if I'm wrong on that one please). I've had my eye on a few different non acr molle compatible pouches but haven't been really happy with the overall aesthetics. Hopefully we'll see some pouches in the proper drop... (If you all have links to decent molle gear btw, please do tell)

I'm using these outlier pouches. The medium is too long for the 3ts but I've sometimes folded it under and it's worked okay for some bigger items. The small fits my phone and little notebook really well. https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/ultrahigh-flat-pack.html

30 minutes ago, VivaceKinetics said:

I believe they also had the J53TS-GT

They did, along with both p24's, and a few other pieces. They seem to only keep ACR in back now, last few drops I've went in and nothing was shown but had it in back and on the website. 

...and the markups last season were BIG

Just to change the topic a little, do you think this community as a whole is suffering from the same mutant 'collecting gene' ? 

I find it terribly difficult to feel 100% satisfied when I make a purchase, and by that I mean once the item has been acquired, I feel ( wrongly I think ) that I am on the hunt for the next item, a bit like big game hunting I suppose? 

(Not that I have ever partaken or condone the activity).

There must be a hardcore few on here that know when to stop and be satisfied, the contrary is so evident by the selling and huting that goes on.

So would anyone like to chime in with the one item that they would be prepared to feel 100% satisfied with and stop the maniacal pursuit of happiness for ?

I think mine would be the J36-GT with the green or black sleeve XL of course ! 

What's your panacea or endgame? 

Its interesting to see the dynamic shift particularly from the old ACR webstore, with how things are now. I remember 3rdArm accessories on there for YEARS, even a few of the 5tsr's sat unsold for a year or more, now look at them. I remember mulling over the J36 and deciding to pass, oops, but I think recently people tend to buy what they might want asap with the assumption it's going to sell out then resellers are the only other option.... 30sec isn't enough to time to go over a collection and decide on 0, 1, 2 pieces. Seems to lead to a slight feeling of dissatisfaction with your investment when you get your hands on it.

Tek: I think I'm close to my endgame. That's not to say there isn't a whole bunch of stuff I want (and the new drop will surely bring more), but for now my collection is complete. For me, while buying a new piece is obviously fun, the true pleasure of Acronym is wearing it everyday. I still enjoy putting on my j46 as much as the day I got it (if not more) and I look forward to forming the same relationship with my "new" j27. All that being said, I would crawl through molten lava for a large S-10c in black.

Edited by tv_ice

Good question @TEKsevenZERO. I think I'm pretty much done. There are a few (out there) pieces I still want that I missed/passed on originally and regret, so mostly trying to track those down. And there are pieces that I own that after using I don't care much for, so I want to get rid of those. As @tv_ice mentioned, the true pleasure lies in experiencing ACR day in and out--it's just not something you can fully appreciate in pictures. That "ah-ha!" moment comes after wearing it in different situations and realizing certain features/functions of a piece that bring it from a "nice" piece to "this is one of the cleverest things ever made."  And personally, the reverse is sometimes true too: I'll find myself wanting a piece for quite some time and after finally acquiring it I'm not as stoked on it given how it fits on me or how it functions for my use-case.

I really like that metaphor of "wearable architecture" and I think that captures ACR very well: a building can look great aesthetically externally, but the true beauty is in how it was designed, built, and what it accomplishes; but it also takes a fair amount of domain knowledge to appreciate and understand.

Outside of those more unique pieces that I just want to try for novelty's sake (e.g. J41-GT), I think the last piece I really "need" to cover all my bases is a longer shell...like a parka or trench.  So far I haven't been keen on what they've released thus far, but who knows what the future holds.

3 hours ago, TEKsevenZERO said:

So would anyone like to chime in with the one item that they would be prepared to feel 100% satisfied with and stop the maniacal pursuit of happiness for ?

My big item isn't ACR, but related. If I could find a SI:SP Stealth Jacket, the long/trench one, I would buy it and be totally happy for the foreseeable future in terms of big ticket items.

5 hours ago, TEKsevenZERO said:

Just to change the topic a little, do you think this community as a whole is suffering from the same mutant 'collecting gene' ? 

I find it terribly difficult to feel 100% satisfied when I make a purchase, and by that I mean once the item has been acquired, I feel ( wrongly I think ) that I am on the hunt for the next item, a bit like big game hunting I suppose? 

There must be a hardcore few on here that know when to stop and be satisfied, the contrary is so evident by the selling and huting that goes on.

Still feel the satisfaction with any of the acronym purchases I make these days. It's annoying to have to shell out big bucks for a bag or jacket you've been eyeing for a while but sometimes you just have to move on. No way in hell im paying over $3000 for a j36 in olive when there's a new season with new tec to look forward to. I'm pretty satisfied with what I have but can always add more to the closet. 

I think one thing that made me happier with the couple of acr pieces I have was realizing it doesn't need to be everything all the time. Like, my 3ts is only good for some things. I was so excited about getting it (and i'd spent enough on it) that I expected it to be great for everything all the time.  Having some time with it definitely helps and now i take pleasure in it when it's the right bag for the day. That might be where some of the collecting bug comes in. 

I don't buy and sell much at all, but part of the reason I'm tempted to is just that it's basically the only way for me to actually see the clothes in real life. I'm curious about what they're like and buying is the only way to see in a lot of cases. 

2 minutes ago, spladow said:

I think one thing that made me happier with the couple of acr pieces I have was realizing it doesn't need to be everything all the time. Like, my 3ts is only good for some things. I was so excited about getting it (and i'd spent enough on it) that I expected it to be great for everything all the time.  Having some time with it definitely helps and now i take pleasure in it when it's the right bag for the day.

Amen! Although the 3rd arm bags can fit a hell of a lot, it's a pain to wear with too much weight in it. At first I was kinda grumpy; how can a bag this expensive be this uncomfortable under semi-heavy load? But then I tried it with lighter loads, and that's when it shines. It's awesome with light loads. 

So now it's time to hustle up and buy an equally expensive backpackB)

Yeah, the way I view garments (ACR especially) are as tools: specific tools for specific jobs. Sometimes you can get by with a hammer when you needed a screwdriver, but it won't be ideal. Take the 3A-1 for example, with copy that reads:

"Ergonomic patterns. Kinaesthetic intent. Cadence, speed, and practicality in a use-driven adaptive load bearing system."

Those sound like nice marketing buzzwords on the surface, but that is actually the use-case explained:

• "Ergonomic patterns" refers in part to the way it wraps around and hugs your body, by folding between the two front pockets (MK1 & MK2). This ability is hampered when you put a long inflexible object in the bag like a laptop. It's not that the 3A-1 is a terrible laptop bag, but it just wasn't designed to be one because it's meant to curve around your body.
  • "Kinaesthetic intent" probably could be applied to all of ACR: you learn by using and doing.
  • "Cadence, speed, and practicality" don't come with weight. It was made to be light and move fast (see E's full body swings). Any shoulder-slung bag will suck under significant weight by virtue of being on just one shoulder, but moreso 3A-1 since it was made to be light.

Edited by piece keeper

1 hour ago, TEKsevenZERO said:

Man, this is hard, I don't think I can name a single item. There's too much I want / would like. There is stuff I want more than others and things I'd be fine with never owning.

I'm just really into product (as I'm sure most of us are here) and like owning stuff. I'm a big fan of / appreciate anything that's well done and well thought out. So there's a lot that I want for a lot of different reasons. 

10 hours ago, TEKsevenZERO said:

I picked up said j36-gt and can say it is unequivocally my favorite article of clothing that I own. I have worn it nearly every day for 2.5 years. there are other jackets that I wanted (needed) along the way and none have ever measured up to it.  Which doesn't mean it's the "best", just that it is the best for me. 

I will certainly buy more acrnm in the future but I don't have the expectation that I will find anything better, only different. 

In regards to what Gordon was talking about, every acrnm jacket I've picked up (excluding the most basic ones) has had some sort of learning curve. They can't be fully appreciated until they've been worn at least a handful of times, or better yet, have been travelled in, relied on, slept in. 

4 minutes ago, jbob24 said:

I picked up said j36-gt and can say it is unequivocally my favorite article of clothing that I own. I have worn it nearly every day for 2.5 years. there are other jackets that I wanted (needed) along the way and none have ever measured up to it.  Which doesn't mean it's the "best", just that it is the best for me.

Genuinely asking, what do you like about it so much? I've always been somewhat fond of it but never enough to actually look for one properly.

18 minutes ago, Cairxoxo said:

Genuinely asking, what do you like about it so much? I've always been somewhat fond of it but never enough to actually look for one properly.

It has the perfect combination of fit, features and aesthetics that checks all my boxes. 

The fit block is the best for my body, I might be wrong but I believe it's the kimono gusset (kg) which keeps the sleeves pretty tight but allows full range of motion at the shoulders.  It then keeps a straight profile in the body which pairs very well with p15/23ts which is my favorite style of pants. 

The feature set has the double pocket on the chest obviously but then has gravity pockets (scan card) and zippered detach entry hand pockets which are simple but well done. The quick roll up hood is my favorite as it keeps it out of the way but easily deployable, much better then the snap off hoods. I don't use interops but it's available as a nice vent for when I wear it in warmer weather.

The color blocking is very dramatic, the shade of green/brown/olive fits very well into my wardrobe. 

I had sort of grown out of the jacket recently due to weight lifting, and was having particular issues getting the jacket closed across my chest comfortably. Chris (_coded) was kind enough to work up an expansion panel similar to the one found on the j43a; it's added the additional benefit of improved headphone routing, better fit and flair at the waist and lets me layer a sweater under it comfortably again, as well as making interops a more viable option. 

Edit: holy shit didn't mean to type so much :)

Edited by jbob24

2 minutes ago, jbob24 said:

Hahaha no worries mate, thanks very much.

Always super interesting to hear why people like specific pieces. Very valuable insight. I've had similar issues with my J25-WS and the fit, but that's more to do with me putting on the bad kind of weight lately :D

@TEKsevenZERO

I asked myself also,but it seems like not big deal since i generally taking acr as all-time solutions.

For working,good is office dress code isnt crazy strictly,i mainly choose jackets like E-J4TS or CH-J31,sometimes S-J14 also,to work with some uniqlo linen shirts to take balance.To match these i usually pick p10-ch and it does great job,for shoes they are also fine,such as bamboo apm or daf1 003,for ther are main black tone and i could hide the upper parts via p10. I used to have S-J11 and GT-J11,believe J29-CH would work a proper office dude fit as a whole,will take my chance.

Also for daily life side,its crazy varity styles you could choose from if the basement solid,Some may blame that yeah,we should not waste having so many jackets or pants or bags in life,but i may refer this simplicity to against fast fashion like yeah,again uniqlo,im good to have two or three shirts,cheap but strong,and it helps.  

Hard to tell there will be a endgame.By choosing acr,the action is already a endgame haha

Edited by Xu Jianfeng

39 minutes ago, jbob24 said:

It has the perfect combination of fit, features and aesthetics that checks all my boxes. 

The fit block is the best for my body, I might be wrong but I believe it's the kimono gusset (kg) which keeps the sleeves pretty tight but allows full range of motion at the shoulders.  It then keeps a straight profile in the body which pairs very well with p15/23ts which is my favorite style of pants. 

The feature set has the double pocket on the chest obviously but then has gravity pockets (scan card) and zippered detach entry hand pockets which are simple but well done. The quick roll up hood is my favorite as it keeps it out of the way but easily deployable, much better then the snap off hoods. I don't use interops but it's available as a nice vent for when I wear it in warmer weather.

The color blocking is very dramatic, the shade of green/brown/olive fits very well into my wardrobe. 

I had sort of grown out of the jacket recently due to weight lifting, and was having particular issues getting the jacket closed across my chest comfortably. Chris (_coded) was kind enough to work up an expansion panel similar to the one found on the j43a; it's added the additional benefit of improved headphone routing, better fit and flair at the waist and lets me layer a sweater under it comfortably again, as well as making interops a more viable option. 

the hood really depends on the person. i've heard many people including myself complain about it. A hood like the J1A-GT is neat and folds nicely down your neck when not in use while the the fast hood when taken out is messy and wrinkly 

Edited by phillasher