Acronym.

Westbrook

Lol, Acronym bag resellers are pathetic... picking such low hanging fruit. 

Why ruin this brand, seriously?

I like Errolson and I respect Acronym's products but if making extra $ is where this community is headed (as evidently shown by the Prestos) then I'm going to have a fun time.

There's people I know that could corner this entire market if I convince them out of Yeezys and Supreme, but the profit margins isn't worth it... yet.

Edited by vir2L

I just bumped into a guy visiting my city from LA. It was the first time I saw someone else wearing acronym (we were both wearing the same prestos) so I had to have a quick chat with him and his girlfriend! Got a compliment on the jacket too, was cool finally being able to talk about the brand with someone in person, no matter how brief. 

9 hours ago, vir2L said:

I like Errolson and I respect Acronym's products but if making extra $ is where this community is headed (as evidently shown by the Prestos) then I'm going to have a fun time.

There's people I know that could corner this entire market if I convince them out of Yeezys and Supreme, but the profit margins isn't worth it... yet.

lol u mad?

13 minutes ago, TEKsevenZERO said:

Offtopic, but please, someone educate me or enlighten me about the allure of Supreme? 

I'm serious.

Long story short, a lot of celebrities and rappers started wearing Supreme, and along with some high profile collaborations, Supreme turned into a powerhouse when it came to reselling. It seems people are willing to pay insane amounts of money for a hat Tyler The Creator wore. Their products are of decent quality, but nothing to write home about. I guess their sweatshirts are nice. Heavyweight. 

It's hype- the brand image is en vogue right now. 

What mainly speaks to me however, is that all of the items that resell for $$$ have the logo plastered all over it, or it's a t-shirt. If you go on their webshop, the nice pieces (in my opinion) for sale are still in stock, weeks after a release. 

On topic;

I'm a little late to the party, but I got my DAF-1s in. DHL sure took their damn sweet time, but that's life. Will keep them on ice till winter. It'll be 95 next week. 

Edited by limeaide

13 hours ago, phillasher said:

lol u mad?

phillasher: "yooo i just copped some dafs to flip... oh fuck they don't resell well. hope I can make it back, lemme sell just above retail to cover my losses. last night took an L but tonight i bounce back"

12 hours ago, TEKsevenZERO said:

Offtopic, but please, someone educate me or enlighten me about the allure of Supreme? 

I'm serious.

12 hours ago, limeaide said:

Long story short, a lot of celebrities and rappers started wearing Supreme, and along with some high profile collaborations, Supreme turned into a powerhouse when it came to reselling. It seems people are willing to pay insane amounts of money for a hat Tyler The Creator wore. Their products are of decent quality, but nothing to write home about. I guess their sweatshirts are nice. Heavyweight. 

Another big part of Supreme's rise to becoming the brand in the street wear community was the retail pricing of the pieces. When you see rappers wearing SLP and Raf sweaters and denim retailing for $500-$1000 a piece that stuff is already inaccessible for most people. Supreme however is not designer clothing and prices at retail are affordable for the demographic who originally made out the base of the street wear community, skaters and such. After this Supreme just played the hype/pricing game, not pricing nor producing in relation to demand but they instead kept building their hype making people compete by queuing outside of their stores  due to availability being much lower than the demand. 

They then profited tremendously from street wear style becoming trendy, with people previously not a part of the community wanting to buy into the aesthetic and the brand without queuing outside of stores being willing to pay higher prices than retail resulting in a bidding war and the intense growth of the resale market. It's all about creating artificial value in pieces where you think a $50 tee is actually worth 5 times as much due to it's "rarity" , it's just the same business model exploited by Adidas with the Yeezy boosts, and NMDs and IMO somewhat by Acronym lately.  Making something intentionally hard to acquire in order to raise it's value in the minds of consumers. 

Other then that Supreme's design team has also mastered the art of "referencing" to art and pop culture by stealing concepts from artists and applying them on their own pieces. Their entire logo is blatantly ripped from Barbara Kruger's (who's and amazing artist btw) art which they've admitted to but then as of late Supreme have tried to sue other artists to "protect their brand" having Kruger call them out as "uncool jokers" in an hilarious email to complex. 

Oh, and here's a picture I found online from one of Kruger's exhibitions, I've only been to one but I'd really recommend you guys to go if you get the chance.

1991-Kruger Barbara, US, 1945, Sans titre, New-York, exposition Mary Boone Gallery.JPG

Edited by Endless

On 3/18/2017 at 3:39 AM, vir2L said:

If making extra cash off reselling is where the "Community" is headed, count me out. It's dorky enough as is.

9 hours ago, Endless said:

Other then that Supreme's design team has also mastered the art of "referencing" to art and pop culture by stealing concepts from artists and applying them on their own pieces. Their entire logo is blatantly ripped from Barbara Kruger's (who's and amazing artist btw) art which they've admitted to but then as of late Supreme have tried to sue other artists to "protect their brand" having Kruger call them out as "uncool jokers" in an hilarious email to complex. 

I think to a certain extent supreme references/appropriates/steals art and pop culture, but they also do collabs with artists who their fans might not have heard of otherwise. Plus, for better for worse, supreme has always been around in the NYC 'downtown cool' scene or whatever, so it's not like they're complete foreigners to this stuff. That doesn't excuse them from the shiesty shit they do, but I feel like it's a little incomplete to present them as a culture vulture.

That being said, I don't feel like ACR has as much in common with supreme other than the easy resale price comparison, and that they have diehard fans, but the fans appreciate each brand for completely different reasons. Like I feel like most of the people who are regulars in this thread are nerds about functionality as much as they appreciate the form of ACR stuff, whereas supreme is that it's 'cool' and there is nothing exceptional about the actual clothing. As far as ACR following suit and creating artificial value by making things limited, they have definite limits as to how far they can expand production each season. I'm pretty sure Errolson has talked about how they would make more if they could (though not to the point of ubiquity), but it takes a fair amount of time and money to produce a single garment because of the quality they want to achieve with everything they put their name on.

Removed partly because of bad post made late at night and beacuse I stand corrected.

The point I was trying to make was not that ACR is trying to play us for money. But that exclusivity, which has become a factor of the ACR brand, automatically leads to hype and reselling which results in pieces becoming harder to acquire. 

Edited by Endless

31 minutes ago, Endless said:

I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was making a comparison between the brands, reply was originally 100% off topic as an answer to a previously asked question. 

OT: About the value-thing though, Acronym's current business model is definitively about creating hype and IMO encourages resellng. Sure, maybe the exclusivity was just ment to be  a fun thing from the start but with invite-only subnet access, surprise drops and limited quantities they're activly makigng it harder getting our hands on the product. There's a reason size small ACR  pieces resell for $100s more than other sizes and why they keep selling out instantly.

You shouldn't be so presumptuous, the limited production quantities is not a deliberate business decision to generate hype/exclusivity; Errolson has explicitly said as much several times over the years. Here's an excerpt from an interview from just last April: 

I think particularly with ACRONYM as a brand, the image it has is a lot bigger than the actual infrastructure that’s behind it. There’s friction in that, because people just think we can do more than we actually can. Because of how little we actually use the existing systems in the industry, we’re somewhat out in the wild. What we learned over the years is that the infrastructure of the company determines the product. Owning our own production facility has advantages and disadvantages — the same thing for your own dyeing facility or your own retail chain for example, which we don’t. All of those things influence how decisions are made and affect the product that gets delivered.

The product that people love and expect from us is intrinsically tied to the way we’ve done it. That type of infrastructure is not something you can grow quickly. If we want to grow, it’s not just a matter of typing in a bigger number on the order sheet. We actually have to think, “Ok, we need to hire an X number of people, we need to buy those machines, where do these machines go? Do we have enough floor space?” ACRONYM is also not the type of product where in the space of a season we can train another factory to produce it. There’s thousands of little tiny details and consequentially thousands ways to fuck it up.

Regarding subnet, here's another quote: 

"Subnet Mask is our dealer website. It's the tool we made up to address the fact that we didn't have the time or the money to travel to sell the collection." To access Subnet Mask, you need a password granted "by recommendation" from Acronym. Once inside, you can view photos and videos of the new collection. Orders are placed on the website, and cancelled if deposits aren't made promptly. Simple. "That's how we avoided having to deal with all of the traffic control of managing accounts," says Hugh. "We just don't have the time."

Edited by chaosen

2 hours ago, Endless said:

I'm sorry if I made it sound like I was making a comparison between the brands, reply was originally 100% off topic as an answer to a previously asked question. 

OT: About the value-thing though, Acronym's current business model is definitively about creating hype and IMO encourages resellng. Sure, maybe the exclusivity was just ment to be  a fun thing from the start but with invite-only subnet access, surprise drops and limited quantities they're activly makigng it harder getting our hands on the product. There's a reason size small ACR  pieces resell for $100s more than other sizes and why they keep selling out instantly.

Let's pretend Acronym actually still have serious quantity limitations from production, which i doubt since they sell to a respectable amout of stockists now. If they had been even remotely trying to meet demands they would produce a lager amount of size smalls instead of the other sizes since that's what a majority of their customers want to purchase. The goal of any merchant is having all of their inventory sold, that's why shops have sales, and the best way of guaranteeing this is observing demand and producing accordingly. If your goal is making money and customer satisfaction you don't want a single customer to leave not being able to purchase what they want due to it not being available in stock.  

The gain from the model that they're currently using is that there will always be a demand for pieces since not everybody who want to purchase a piece will be physically able to due to the quantity restriction. The reason that fashion keeps changing is both artistical and economical. If fashion remained the same, let's say white shirts was the only thing people wore, you only have a need for so many pieces. You only need to own 7 shirts if you do your laundery once a week. The same principle works for ACR too, one only needs so many $1500 gore-tex hardshells and the only way of making sure you maintain demand while keeping the same aesthetic is either to itterate with new features customers "can't live without" outdoing themselves each season, purposefully reducing the lifespan of pieces by decreasing quality or limiting quantities. As a fan of the brand the first alternative would be the one I prefer but from a business perspective the last one is definitively the safest to guarantee maintained growth of the company.

Pretty much every statement here is false, as others have already pointed out.  As for size distribution, most companies produce sizes based on a bell-curve since that generally represents the consumer base: less smalls, more mediums and maybe larges, and less XL's.  There are usually less consumers at the two ends, hence the production to match.  You can maybe argue that certain brands cater to a certain body type and physique more, so as to have a different distribution, but there's no evidence I'm aware of that this describes ACR.