Acronym.

Westbrook

^ Nope. there's Gore that looks exactly like the image on the left. Maybe Acronym doesn't use it, I'll check when I get home. But, I have a Veilance jacket with me right now that looks exactly like that and it ain't fake.

1 hour ago, Bigyen said:

^ Nope. there's Gore that looks exactly like the image on the left. Maybe Acronym doesn't use it, I'll check when I get home. But, I have a Veilance jacket with me right now that looks exactly like that and it ain't fake.

1 hour ago, barto said:

Might be a difference between regular GT and GT- pro which I think acronym uses

Yep. Gore-tex PRO w/ a micro-grid backer has a very specific pattern and look. Gore-tex makes a number of different fabrics/backers (windstopper, c-knit, etc) that have different looks and feels. I own a veilance piece from this season that has c-knit, it has a different weight and has more of a sheen. AFAIK all ACR hardshells are GT-pro or paclite, but could be mistaken.

edit: goofd

Edited by solographik

To be more pedantic about Gore Tex ("GT"): the face fabric can be whatever with a GT jacket—Nanamica make the cruiser with a cotton face with a GT membrane. The  expanded polytetrafluoroethylene ("ePTFE") membrane is the GT technology. I realize "Gore-Tex" is a metonym for waterproof fabric but we're 'bout that minutiae here, right?

GT fabrics are usually sandwich constructed from outside to inside with outer layer, membrane, inner backer. GT Pro is the most "balanced" with breathability and durability with a 40 or higher denier face and the current microgrid backer (construction: face/membrane/backer). This is the heavier wearing crinkly GT that is required because the membrane layer isn't coated with polyurethane ("PU") for protection. GT w/ C-Knit features the circular knit "backer"—the skin facing layer that has a little loft for soft feel and lighter weight with a standard non-air permeable membrane (construction: face/membrane/backer). Paclite is a 2/2.5 layer fabric with just face/membrane rather than the face/membrane/backer construction. Active is another GT technology—not really familiar with it other than I have a Arc'Teryx Norvan that has super beading and lesser wear resistance.

As far as I know, W.L. Gore controls/collaborates with the garment licensees for the fabric/garment making.

Edit:

With regard to water vapor escaping through the membrane—breathability isn't really appreciably different across the Gore-Tex line in my experience. It has to be a swamp in the jacket to really have perceptible differences something like >90% humidity. Also, to be clear to those who don't understand technical fabrics, they provide no warmth other than your bodyheat. If it is cold outside, you can maintain a sort of microclimate but when your bare skin touches the inner backer—there is no additional insulation and you will feel the cold. Additionally, you won't notice breathability when it's super cold or super hot out.

Edited by CARLOOA

9 minutes ago, piece keeper said:

Controversial idea: post count minimum for posting in Community Sales Thread?

I like the idea in principle but it means potentially spouting a stream of shite elsewhere ! - a bit like me I suppose :P

I think it's fine, I doubt anybody is finding the j1a/j28s that they're looking for here.  They must have all had the same original idea at the same time. 

Edited by jbob24

Anyone in Germany know if the Lufthansa strikes are still delaying DHL stuff? I know they reached a verdict on it, but I guess there's a backlog. 

My AF1s are still floating around in the postal ether. USPS says they haven't received them, and DHL "says" they handed them off to USPS. 

My friend told me: DHL = dauert halt länger. Oy. 

DHL = dauert halt länger.

Edited by limeaide

Think it's just blind luck. I just ordered two things from Berlin with basic DHL shipping. One processed quickly and got delivered few days ago and one is still sitting somewhere in the logistics center in Frankfurt.

On 3/1/2017 at 9:25 PM, CARLOOA said:

To be more pedantic about Gore Tex ("GT"): the face fabric can be whatever with a GT jacket—Nanamica make the cruiser with a cotton face with a GT membrane. The  expanded polytetrafluoroethylene ("ePTFE") membrane is the GT technology. I realize "Gore-Tex" is a metonym for waterproof fabric but we're 'bout that minutiae here, right?

GT fabrics are usually sandwich constructed from outside to inside with outer layer, membrane, inner backer. GT Pro is the most "balanced" with breathability and durability with a 40 or higher denier face and the current microgrid backer (construction: face/membrane/backer). This is the heavier wearing crinkly GT that is required because the membrane layer isn't coated with polyurethane ("PU") for protection. GT w/ C-Knit features the circular knit "backer"—the skin facing layer that has a little loft for soft feel and lighter weight with a standard non-air permeable membrane (construction: face/membrane/backer). Paclite is a 2/2.5 layer fabric with just face/membrane rather than the face/membrane/backer construction. Active is another GT technology—not really familiar with it other than I have a Arc'Teryx Norvan that has super beading and lesser wear resistance.

As far as I know, W.L. Gore controls/collaborates with the garment licensees for the fabric/garment making.

Edit:

With regard to water vapor escaping through the membrane—breathability isn't really appreciably different across the Gore-Tex line in my experience. It has to be a swamp in the jacket to really have perceptible differences something like >90% humidity. Also, to be clear to those who don't understand technical fabrics, they provide no warmth other than your bodyheat. If it is cold outside, you can maintain a sort of microclimate but when your bare skin touches the inner backer—there is no additional insulation and you will feel the cold. Additionally, you won't notice breathability when it's super cold or super hot out.

I very much agree that GT as a stand alone is not sufficient to withstand extremes of cold. It is however excellent for layering purposes (IMO). I spend the majority of my time up here in the Artic wastes of Maine, and the elements at their best can bring a stout man low quite easily. I'm 37 and I've spent all of those years in said wastes. I've experimented with a variety of protective layers from head to toe. I'm a bit finicky in the sense that I don't care for hats, and prefer to layer as the weather can change quickly and spending a few minutes indoors between excursions can be rather uncomfortable if you're wearing the husk of a bantha. My preferred/most successful  loadout has come to light just this season. It consists of a core layer Tikak Poutnik Sage Sweatshirt, base layer LL Bean Signature Merino wool cardigan, shell layer ACR J34-GT, supplemented by a merino/nylon weave neck gaiter, and merino/nylon gloves (both courtesy of Kiui Outfitters, and both of which weigh mere grams apiece). It's really surprising how effective the merino and new school synthetics are at regulating temperature, especially in tandem. I can easily go between high/low energy activity, and quick temperature changes without getting the sweats/chills. Just before posting this I was wearing the above ensemble(minus the gaiter/gloves), at a bar for over an hour, albeit unzipped/buttoned, and felt perfectly comfy. Upon exiting the bar I zipped up and felt just fine in the 23 degree weather. 

IMG_2615.PNG

Edited by brainerd666
I am not a member of COBRA but I do wish I was an alternate reality version of Stormshadow

5 hours ago, misanthropod said:

^^

What the chef said about sitting at the bar fully-dressed and whatnot.  Been layering synthetics, merino, & Gore-Tex or eVent for a couple of winters, and it easily copes with 40°F indoor/outdoor temperature changes without unzipping and ungaitering.

I'd love to see Errolson do a long length split hem merino shirt or a decent technical fleece (I mean high loft fleece not softshell). Hell, they could do a loro-piana button up overshirt and I'd be ecstatic. DS and WS are cool as shirt materials but I don't really like the current iteration of DS as a winter base layer. Additionally, I'd like to see Acronym incorporate polartec alpha, I like how well it functions for aerobic activities while retaining enough heat when cold.

Agreed, I really want to see some none-softshell middle layers. More technical cut/articulated sweatshirt and next-to-skin items. 

I really liked the nemen shirts we got a couple years back :)

2 hours ago, CARLOOA said:

Additionally, I'd like to see Acronym incorporate polartec alpha, I like how well it functions for aerobic activities while retaining enough heat when cold.

Agree, unfortunately it's normally designed into more of an outer layer and max breathabilty gets mucked up by less than breathable face layers used to push it as outerwear. The newer iteration that doesn't need a face and backer might be an answer to this... but I've only seen ugly applications of it so far. Love to see some out the box thinking with this material.   

I've found the LA5-mp to be a nearly perfect cold weather mid layer. I'm not sure what the multiprene is made from, but it's very warm and wind proof. I picked mine up as an afterthought and it's probably become my most worn piece. It interfaces perfectly with my J46 to keep me warm outside and it's just the right weight as a top layer once I get inside. I second Jbob in hoping we see the return of Nemen collabs, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any ACR heads able to ID this jacket? 

Had it in my wardrobe for ages now - been through the wash several times so the internal print of sizing has worn away. It's a light windbreaker with backwards facing pockets and a slight peak on the hood. 3rd Arm ready, with external loops for jacketsling. Can't remember the model number and can't find any info anywhere!

Thanks!

Fvznoa.jpg

coKahN.jpg

UdkmIm.jpg

GvAW6s.jpg

XkIdMy.jpg

Edited by agentbuca

Does anyone know if they every made J29-CH in black? or only in Night? I dont' remember

Googling results in end listing a j29-ch in (black) but this looks like it could be an error to me. Any insight is appreciated. thanks.

Edited by erictheninja

7 hours ago, agentbuca said:

Any ACR heads able to ID this jacket? 

Had it in my wardrobe for ages now - been through the wash several times so the internal print of sizing has worn away. It's a light windbreaker with backwards facing pockets and a slight peak on the hood. 3rd Arm ready, with external loops for jacketsling. Can't remember the model number and can't find any info anywhere!

Thanks!

Fvznoa.jpg

coKahN.jpg

UdkmIm.jpg

GvAW6s.jpg

XkIdMy.jpg

GT-J10 (FW0506?)