Acronym.

Westbrook

Deleted the pizza carrier listing—joke got stale and I was afraid someone would actually buy it. I actually agree with chaosen et. al.

If I'm going to sell the pizza bag, I'm gonna pass this along to a fellow tech nerd/futurist cosplay aficionado instead of a swagless fuccboi. Y'all know who I'm talking about—those dudes with a MCM backpack that always wears Stan Smiths.* 

*See also the dudes with the wild undercut, man bun, or e-sports K-pop bob haircut. Additionally, dudes who also get styling inspiration from celebrity instagrams with a narcissistic need for external validation. 

7 hours ago, capnpyro said:

Ok ok very funny, speaking of CARLOOA's pizza carrier, which one of you was this -- https://www.grailed.com/listings/1755232

edit: ^^^ like the chef said, next to my acronym pieces my Tanaka gyutou is the best, functional and beautiful investments I've made. Take a look at chuboknives.com if your cutlery game is weak ^^^

Chubo is a quality retailer for sure. I own a Tanaka as well. Hard to beat for the price. 

1 hour ago, Yvesaintralphdoe said:

dis

“For me, I literally can’t wear another pair of pants if there isn’t a phone pocket on my right leg. I feel naked.”

I've been wearing my p10-S's for about 5 month straight now(both at work and out of). Just recently washed them by hand and drip dried(thank you for the patience due to years of selvedge denim/first world problems). I had to wear another pair of so called 'pants' in the interim sans the thigh phone pocket. It felt weird. In fact- it felt WRONG. But I did some really DEEP soul searching...  

And carried on. I resisted the urge to retrofit said 'pants' with a pocket that would simulate the p10-S's.

I struggle with that every goddamned day. Just knowing that I didn't have it.

Due to soilage.  

I am still not sure why everyone is hating on the interview/pics. I am an complete opposit of what the interviewed persons would call a friend/homie/squad so I should be joining you in your hate, but I am not. I don't understand why everyone hates on the concept of real life cosplay, because if you remove that aspect of the styling utw fits we will end up as a bunch of mountain men out of place in the city. I live in the Czech republic where outdoor style is the most common thing for styleless people and trust me it's not a nice thing to look at.

So please can anyone tell me what's wrong about the pictures/interview (apart from fernando saying that he will drop something insane, that we, not our grand children would be able to buy and it's not a reworked BDU jacket with a rubber band and paperclip)?

Is it about ppl trying hard to get nice locations for their pics, using expensive cameras and not just iphone pics of someone standing in front of a mirror in his appartment?

But maybe it's just me being part of the same breed you are talking about, because:

wild undercut

man bun

K-pop bob

looking like an FPS character

Edited by danii

35 minutes ago, danii said:

I am still not sure why everyone is hating on the interview/pics. I am an complete opposit of what the interviewed persons would call a friend/homie/squad so I should be joining you in your hate, but I am not. I don't understand why everyone hates on the concept of real life cosplay, because if you remove that aspect of the styling utw fits we will end up as a bunch of mountain men out of place in the city. I live in the Czech republic where outdoor style is the most common thing for styleless people and trust me it's not a nice thing to look at.

So please can anyone tell me what's wrong about the pictures/interview (apart from fernando saying that he will drop something insane, that we, not our grand children would be able to buy and it's not a reworked BDU jacket)?

Is it about ppl trying hard to get nice locations for their pics, using expensive cameras and not just iphone pics of someone standing in front of a mirror in his appartment?

But maybe it's just me being part of the same breed you are talking about, because:

wild undercut

man bun

K-pop bob

looking like an FPS character

ALL IN GOOD FUN DANII. You're definitely not swagless!

On 2017-02-25 at 2:28 AM, bboysparrow said:

With spring coming in do you guys like P15's or P17's? I'd honestly prefer P23's but without Tec-Sys

I struggled with going either P23 or P17 for the longest time as I was unsure about the TS, too. But after not being able to find a pair of 17, I came across a great deal on 23 and just did it. Now I couldn't imagine not having having it. I love it. Even without modulars attached, if looks so cool. 

My only gripe with the interviews is that it gets acr more exposure to who I feel is probably the wrong audience but then again Nike x ACR is doing that already.. As far as looking like an FPS character goes, where's the fun in life if you can only look *a little bit* badass??   Obviously it can go too far sometimes but at the end of the day it's all just clothing. ^_^

1 hour ago, SnazzyMcghee said:

My only gripe with the interviews is that it gets acr more exposure to who I feel is probably the wrong audience but then again Nike x ACR is doing that already.. As far as looking like an FPS character goes, where's the fun in life if you can only look *a little bit* badass??   Obviously it can go too far sometimes but at the end of the day it's all just clothing. ^_^

just who exactly is the 'correct' audience for this interview would you say? i'm really confused at your statement. what exactly is wrong with a business getting 'more exposure'?

3 minutes ago, chris_n said:

just who exactly is the 'correct' audience for this interview would you say? i'm really confused at your statement. what exactly is wrong with a business getting 'more exposure'?

Im not exactly sure who the 'correct' audience is but I'd rather it not get exposure to people who will ride a hype wave and to people who buy a product only to then resell at double or triple the retail price.  I've always been in the camp of if something is cool everyone should know about it but at the same time, the more people know about it the less a community aspect can surround said thing.  It feels kind of inevitable though due to the pros and cons being almost inseparable.

18 minutes ago, SnazzyMcghee said:

Im not exactly sure who the 'correct' audience is but I'd rather it not get exposure to people who will ride a hype wave and to people who buy a product only to then resell at double or triple the retail price.  I've always been in the camp of if something is cool everyone should know about it but at the same time, the more people know about it the less a community aspect can surround said thing.  It feels kind of inevitable though due to the pros and cons being almost inseparable.

Yeah. S/O to the hypebeast interviewees, they been on ACRNM for a hot minute. Exposure is cool, hopefully it drives the brand into the future. I hope they can cope with rapid growth/market.

I don't mind the increased exposure, think it's actually good for the brand in the long run as it means Errolson can move enough stock to justify funding more experimental ideas. I'd just like the supply of each jacket to be increased with each coming season so we wouldn't have to buy off the website with the swiftness of a bot. It's often the case where retailers only get one of each size, so they sell out very quickly.

54 minutes ago, Appleseed said:

What's not to 'get'? Some of us have been on this for 10+ years, and until fairly recently were reveling in the subculture unmolested. Now we 'get' to share all of that a bunch of new-jacks who don't seem to understand simple basics like the difference between hardshell vs. softshell (and fetishize pictorial narratives far more than any grown-ass person should)...

Not meaning to pick on anyone; probably just showing my age more than anything else - but the Reddit-ing of this thread makes my head hurt sometimes. Nevermind the (sometimes) embarrassing association.

And no - exposure is the antithesis of cool.  

I just want to say that I meant cool as in acceptable to me. Hah.

Edited by CARLOOA

This reminds me of a similar situation within the Porsche community, another one of my interests. 

If anyone is familiar, this was happening with the 911R, a distilled down "pure" and "heritage" 991 (chassis code for the latest model year) that was fairly limited. Allocations were first given out to major players with Porsche, i.e. 918 owners and people with collections that are equivalent to the GDP of a small African nation. Once the cars started trickling in, people were asking insane amounts of money for a car that was 200k out the door from Stuttgart. Anywhere from 750k to 3 million from what I recall. Same goes for the GT3 and GT3RS. 

What happened? Nobody bought them. A few are now sitting at 600k. Still an outrageous markup, but on par with most limited Porsches. 

That's the key to this situation or temporary price spike. Not a lot of people can afford a limited edition Porsche. Not a lot of people can afford (or want to buy) an ACR piece. Acronym just happens to be right outside the comfort zone of many people's purchase ranges, in my opinion. 

Hype may drive up prices, but hype does not sustain prices.

Edited by limeaide

Another perspective:

i choose ACR for it stands

some really good designs

variety of materials to choose from(no gore again,kido) 

relatively easy to buy(hell yeah,i know its almost done,but compared to Aitor Throup or so,still easy right?)

This brand is,just like dude mentioned,like Porsche,you could find more expensive,or aggressive design,but its Porsche.

Same as Rolex.  

Unless the price would be sky high at last(retail,no grailed tricks),or papi offers souless designs all year around,its the time i say bye,may not yet.

Hate is real,but it would not stop your from your own style,any styles if so,like i wear head to toe at the office,then we call it all condition gears,and sorry Nike,not you.

Edited by Xu Jianfeng

5 hours ago, limeaide said:

This reminds me of a similar situation within the Porsche community, another one of my interests. 

If anyone is familiar, this was happening with the 911R, a distilled down "pure" and "heritage" 991 (chassis code for the latest model year) that was fairly limited. Allocations were first given out to major players with Porsche, i.e. 918 owners and people with collections that are equivalent to the GDP of a small African nation. Once the cars started trickling in, people were asking insane amounts of money for a car that was 200k out the door from Stuttgart. Anywhere from 750k to 3 million from what I recall. Same goes for the GT3 and GT3RS. 

What happened? Nobody bought them. A few are now sitting at 600k. Still an outrageous markup, but on par with most limited Porsches. 

That's the key to this situation or temporary price spike. Not a lot of people can afford a limited edition Porsche. Not a lot of people can afford (or want to buy) an ACR piece. Acronym just happens to be right outside the comfort zone of many people's purchase ranges, in my opinion. 

Hype may drive up prices, but hype does not sustain prices.

This is an interesting example but I think you're over-generalizing and while the scenarios may seem comparable on paper, the ideas you bring up really don't apply here in the same way. 

You simply can't compare the purchasing power/habits of people looking to buy a high-end vehicle with the purchasing power/habits of people looking to buy luxury clothing. The reality is that both the product and their respective consumer bases are entirely different. Even if we ignore the obvious price discrepancies (i.e. $100K+ vs $1K+), the two markets just operate and are served in very different ways; involving very different customer decision-making. 

We live in a generation where the public is becoming increasingly fashion-conscious (byproduct of the internet, social media exposure, celebrity impact and so-forth). As a result, people are more willing to spend disposable income on fashion items. Even a student working a minimum-wage job might save up a month's income, or -- god forbid -- take out a credit card loan, to purchase that Acronym jacket or bag that he/she wants. The point is, for somebody who really wants something in the luxury clothing market, they can (and probably will) find a way to make ends meet. 

Regarding your idea that "Hype may drive up prices, but hype does not sustain prices" - again, the fashion industry is just a different animal. As mentioned in this thread already, just take a look at the resell value of Supreme goods, or even Yeezy's (or other coveted sneakers), over the last few years and you'll see that your comment doesn't hold true. 

Edited by chaosen

26 minutes ago, chaosen said:

Regarding your idea that "Hype may drive up prices, but hype does not sustain prices" - again, the fashion industry is just a different animal. As mentioned in this thread already, just take a look at the resell value of Supreme goods, or even Yeezy's (or other coveted sneakers), over the last few years and you'll see that your comment doesn't hold true. 

With Yeezys and most other "hyped" shoes - you generally see a huge spike in price once they release, then the price generally goes down as more people get pairs (online orders arriving, etc) with them eventually settling at an "agreed" price, then they very rarely move from there.

Agree with you, though, hype definitely does sustain prices, and always will when there is only a finite amount of something in the world. Turtle Doves Yeezys for example have been resold at about the same price for a year or so now. They kind of eventually just hit an agreed value and sit there. Sometimes they'll fluctuate a bit but generally hang around a specific price point.

Just a heads-up: there's been an influx of fakes on several different sales platforms (Grailed, Yahoo Japan Auctions, eBay) lately. 

J1A-GT: http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w170010663
J43-GT: http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f206580745 and http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k244295639 

We've seen the fake J1A-GT several times already, but I suspect with the recent hype, we might start to see lots more imitations (including different models; maybe even trousers and bags soon) being churned out in the near future. Might be a good idea to start a catalogue of what fakes are out there, including any discernible differences (lack of microgrid backer, wrong pull tabs etc.)

Edited by chaosen

56 minutes ago, chaosen said:

This is an interesting example but I think you're over-generalizing and while the scenarios may seem comparable on paper, the ideas you bring up really don't apply here in the same way. 

You simply can't compare the purchasing power/habits of people looking to buy a high-end vehicle with the purchasing power/habits of people looking to buy luxury clothing. The reality is that both the product and their respective consumer bases are entirely different. Even if we ignore the obvious price discrepancies (i.e. $100K+ vs $1K+), the two markets just operate and are served in very different ways; involving very different customer decision-making. 

We live in a generation where the public is becoming increasingly fashion-conscious (byproduct of the internet, social media exposure, celebrity impact and so-forth). As a result, people are more willing to spend disposable income on fashion items. Even a student working a minimum-wage job might save up a month's income, or -- god forbid -- take out a credit card loan, to purchase that Acronym jacket or bag that he/she wants. The point is, for somebody who really wants something in the luxury clothing market, they can (and probably will) find a way to make ends meet. 

Great counterpoints. I guess my example was more on the idea of how price gouging happens and prices tend to deflate substantially after the hype ends. Things will only go so high before people walk away from a deal. In retrospect, and reading @Cairxoxo's comment- "hype does not sustain prices" I agree is incorrect as well- Hype will sustain a certain price, but it will only go so high after a certain period of time. Eventually people will move on to the next hot thing. Maybe I'm thinking too much like a stock analyst but when we see a bump in prices due media spotlight or some other reason (Like a tweet from it's CEO, hi Tesla) it doesn't stay at that price for long.

Supreme though, is a strange beast. The company basically spits in the face of it's fanbase yet continues to sell out constantly. Amazing. Unless they do something dumb like go downmarket or start franchising, I don't see the 'preme economy dying any time soon. 

Edited by limeaide

On 2/25/2017 at 2:18 AM, untrue said:

I really miss the old tight knit ACR community on this site (before 2015).

Transactions had more of the feeling of "passing on" garments to other enthusiasts rather than trying to profit heavily.

you had your time reselling raf from yjp and rakuten
did you find god or something? 

2 hours ago, chaosen said:

^ I think you're failing to see his point due to the scale of your perspective. Excuse the baseball analogy, but I feel like you may be looking at it in terms of innings/games vs. limeaide who may be looking at it in terms of seasons/years.  

a. It's kind of fucked up but you'd be surprised at how similar consumer behavior is across different price brackets, specially for collectors and niche market hoarders. (ex. beanie babies, og trainers, supreme pre-post 08, vintage rolexes, volvo 740s, porsche 911s/356s, property/business investments, etc.)

A lot share the same external factors (hype, trend, regulation, etc.), and are served on increasingly similar platforms, with plenty of the decision making "Y/N" questions being more or less the same. This is regardless of whether it's a 1k shoe, 5k watch, 70k car, or a 2m investment. (i.e. will I make money? will it hold value? will at appreciate? will it depreciate? do I want it now? will I look cool? is this a classic? This'll be cool forever right?)

b. We live in a generation where people are becoming increasingly more conscious in general. Anyone who really wants anything can (and probably will) find a way to make it fit. 

c. You're citing pretty contemporary examples (2~3 year life span), but if you zoom out even just a little bit towards the 3~5 year range, and you can see a lot. I mean, just off the top of my head, what's happened to HBA? SLP? Balmain moto jeans and padded shoulder blazers? that whole wedge sneaker thing Marant started and Marc Jacobs jumped on? Damir Doma? platform Prada Brogues? New Balances? Rodarte? Kenzo? Bape? 

TL;DR: I think you're over-generalizing, because the comparisons are comparable on paper and the ideas apply in more or less the same way. Fashion isn't the exemption, it's the prime example of how fickle and sensitive a market can be.

_ _ _

How this relates to Acronym? I'm hoping that they all eventually move on to something else. Everything is so reactionary at this point that I can't even make a wild guess as to what will happen after this whole Demna/Allesandro Michele/Raf-daddy resurgence arc.

Best case scenario would be something CDG-esque, a multilevel utopia, wherein everyone is happy. Plebes can get a little PLAY, moderates can buy into the lifestyle in DSM/Rose Bakery, the guys with fetishes can do a little Junya, Ganryu, and the people that want heavy drugs can buy runway. 

The worst case scenario would be that it just horribly implodes into this strange dystopia. Bigger, well equipped companies (ZARA, Bershka, and god forbid, Forever21) will cash in on the look, over saturate the market and hammer the fuck out of it for several seasons and paint a picture so terrible that even we don't like ACR anymore.

i.e. Yeezy Season 5 will be in all goretex, schoeller, windstopper, etc. Mainstream celebs/everyone/Kardashians will wear it. Beyonce will drop a post apocalyptic album inspired by it, it'll be streamed on TIDAL. Collabs with Bamford Watch Company. Collabs with Converse. Collabs with Mastermind. Collabs with cereal. MET ball theme in 2019 will be techninj. (God, make it stop.)

Edited by WillKhitie

To sum up, Acronym has, at last, become fashionable, which is nice, then due to the very nature of fashion, it will become un-fasionable, which is nice.

Some of us will still be here when it happens and have a little titter over it all while we wait for tidbits of the next season to appear on instagra(n) ! :)

4 hours ago, WillKhitie said:

^ I think you're failing to see his point due to the scale of your perspective. Excuse the baseball analogy, but I feel like you may be looking at it in terms of innings/games vs. limeaide who may be looking at it in terms of seasons/years.  

Great, well thought-out post and I can definitely appreciate and agree with your perspective on several topics, especially the latter half (some excellent imagery there). You brought up some great examples on some of the trends that have fizzled out in recent years too; fashion is and has always been a cyclical and trend-dictated industry, and I completely agree that it is a fickle/sensitive market. That's why in previous posts, I was advocating the idea that price-inflating or price-gouging our sales posts (for Acronym goods) might have lasting, detrimental effects on the overall market. I just didn't think that the clothing industry should be compared with the luxury auto industry at all; the former is accessible and "affordable" to essentially anybody while the latter is almost strictly catered to the middle-upper class and wealthier - hence, the purchase decisions would be quite dissimilar, hobbyist/collector or not. Isn't it much more relevant to compare Acronym with Supreme, than with a high-end sports car? 

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see what happens with Acronym; I'm hoping not your worst case scenario. :P

Edit: 
Deleted some paragraphs for brevity 

Edited by chaosen

29 minutes ago, TEKsevenZERO said:

To sum up, Acronym has, at last, become fashionable, which is nice, then due to the very nature of fashion, it will become un-fasionable, which is nice.

Some of us will still be here when it happens and have a little titter over it all while we wait for tidbits of the next season to appear on instagra(n) ! :)

:P Nicely said! 

Just a friendly little PSA, but if you're bidding on any of these via proxy, you're about to get a fake:

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w170010663

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f206580745

http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k244295639

I'm sure there are some that already know it, but considering the amount of proxy bids on them and the current prices, it's pretty safe to say that a lot of people don't realize it.  There's likely a lot more out there but these are ones that I've just come across now.  The sellers are all selling the same items and they're all fake.

There are an absurd amount of fakes (acronym, visvim, wtaps, tom browne, gucci, supreme, givenchy) being sold on YJP from sellers in Osaka and Fukuoka which suggests that it's likely yakuza-related business. The pattern is usually that the item gets won and paid for, then the item gets shipped to the buyer (or proxy) in Japan directly from China via a forwarding service with no return address.

Just thought I'd pass on a little info.  I assume quite a few people have already gotten burned but hopefully this will save a few more in the future.