Acronym.

Westbrook

37 minutes ago, sportello said:

Anyone know if P10-ch/s pants will be around again? They're a seasonal staple, right?

I believe someone mentioned a few pages ago that there will be a P10TS-DS release this upcoming SS season. I can't imagine they wouldn't release multiple different P10's and P17's next month.

Speaking of TS, is it just me of does the TS strip on the P23s feel like it's on the wrong way round. It always feels weird when i attach stuff because they go against the line of the pants rather than with it. And i really wish someone would come up with some decent Molle pockets... like the cargo pockets on the P10A but Molle attachable. And preferably not in a crazy shiny foil that make you look like you've attached your wife's makeup bag to your leg.

Dani - if you ever get the inclination and the time... ;)

I'm purely thinking out loud here: 

I've seen that Errolson has been more political recently. He seems to ascribe to a more equal, more tolerant, more transparent world—a bernie-sanders-esque utopia. I wonder what he thinks about success from sales of veblen goods or, in that vein, if he experiences any dissonance. I always wondered if he'd move toward making avant garde, beautiful techwear more affordable for the everyman or if he'd continue to make halo products—I guess the nike collab is helping "democratize" the tech-ninja aesthetic so maybe?

With that in mind, what would everyone think about a lower line of Acronym?

Edited by CARLOOA

I think ACG already is the diffusion acrnm TBH.  As the price of proper ACRNM goes up, so is the price of ACG. For example look at the alpine jacket and metamorphosis liner that are clearly intended to go together, they're reaching that $11-1200 mark on their own.  They are still the "affordable" alternative. I think it's as close to a cheaper line as is realistic or that he would be willing to have his name attached to.

The only real difference is that it doesn't explicitly have the name "Acronym" on it but they lean heavily on injecting his name into every article or ad.

Disæran was a nice cheaper alternative (for certain pieces) if you were around at the time it was available :) I'm not clear on the reason that they stopped working together.

Edited by jbob24

20 minutes ago, jbob24 said:

I think ACG already is the diffusion acrnm TBH.  As the price of proper ACRNM goes up, so is the price of ACG. For example look at the alpine jacket and metamorphosis liner that are clearly intended to go together, they're reaching that $11-1200 mark on their own.  They are still the "affordable" alternative. I think it's as close to a cheaper line as is realistic or that he would be willing to have his name attached to.

The only real difference is that it doesn't explicitly have the name "Acronym" on it but they lean heavily on injecting his name into every article or ad.

Disæran was a nice cheaper alternative (for certain pieces) if you were around at the time it was available :) I'm not clear on the reason that they stopped working together.

Good point about ACG.

On some humanitarian shit, Errolson should make some refugee clothing for refugees like Arc'Teryx does for homeless in Vancouver.

Back in law school I had a Disæran insulator because I could wear it in an office without looking like a black bloc protestor. I thought it failed because of international availability?

Edited by CARLOOA

52 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

I'm purely thinking out loud here: 

I've seen that Errolson has been more political recently. He seems to ascribe to a more equal, more tolerant, more transparent world—a bernie-sanders-esque utopia. I wonder what he thinks about success from sales of veblen goods or, in that vein, if he experiences any dissonance. I always wondered if he'd move toward making avant garde, beautiful techwear more affordable for the everyman or if he'd continue to make halo products—I guess the nike collab is helping "democratize" the tech-ninja aesthetic so maybe?

With that in mind, what would everyone think about a lower line of Acronym?

This is totally speculative, but he doesn't seem to want to monopolize techwear, and so a lower line of acrnm may not even be on the horizon once the market is ready (as in, that's someone else's opportunity). I imagine he is satisfied with his role as a key "builder" of techwear (whether it's the result of its associated ideologies or just hanging out with William Gibson).

Edited by Sike

14 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

Back in law school I had a Disæran insulator because I could wear it in an office without looking like a black bloc protestor. I thought it failed because of international availability?

That could be, I think it was only available in Japan and maybe one shop in Europe? 

44 minutes ago, Sike said:

This is totally speculative, but he doesn't seem to want to monopolize techwear, and so a lower line of acrnm may not even be on the horizon once the market is ready (as in, that's someone else's opportunity). I imagine he is satisfied with his role as a key "builder" of techwear (whether it's the result of its associated ideologies or just hanging out with William Gibson).

I agree with you about him "building" techwear, I was just wonder if his everyman political leanings would be accompanied by a shift downmarket while maintaining quality. Sympathies with occupy/antiestablishment movements seems incongruent with the actual market for Acronym products.

In other words, I'm not saying our lives need to be consistent with our political leanings—but the whole Errolson being super sympathetic to Bernie Sanders and selling $1k+ jackets just feels like Paul Ryan loving Rage Against the Machine. I might be projecting because but I feel the dissonance from spending exorbitant amounts on Acronym while espousing reform minded egalitarian/ethical economic policy. 

Edited by CARLOOA

32 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

I agree with you about him "building" techwear, I was just wonder if his everyman political leanings would be accompanied by a shift downmarket while maintaining quality. Sympathies with occupy/antiestablishment movements seems incongruent with the actual market for Acronym products. I don't know how to express this but I feel the dissonance from spending exorbitant amounts on Acronym while espousing reform minded egalitarian/ethical capitalism. I'm not saying our lives need to be consistent with our political leanings but the whole Errolson being super sympathetic to Bernie Sanders and selling $1k+ jackets just feels like Paul Ryan loving Rage Against the Machine.

I do agree that the contradiction is pretty glaring. Under this hour of capitalism, and considering his industry cohorts, he might just be happy that he's not creating any victims out of his work (i.e. sweatshops). 

Edit: I guess the collabs with nike kind of complicates that idea

Edited by Sike

29 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

I agree with you about him "building" techwear, I was just wonder if his everyman political leanings would be accompanied by a shift downmarket while maintaining quality. Sympathies with occupy/antiestablishment movements seems incongruent with the actual market for Acronym products.

In other words, I'm not saying our lives need to be consistent with our political leanings—but the whole Errolson being super sympathetic to Bernie Sanders and selling $1k+ jackets just feels like Paul Ryan loving Rage Against the Machine. I might be projecting because but I feel the dissonance from spending exorbitant amounts on Acronym while espousing reform minded egalitarian/ethical economic policy. 

Hm, I think you're overthinking this way too much.  His (assumed) political views and his business are not mutually exclusive.  You can want equality and still want to push yourself to produce the best product in your ability (which will result in a higher cost/price).

41 minutes ago, piece keeper said:

Hm, I think you're overthinking this way too much.  His (assumed) political views and his business are not mutually exclusive.  You can want equality and still want to push yourself to produce the best product in your ability (which will result in a higher cost/price).

The whole point was a thought exercise/discussion! I never get this reply: "you're overthinking this." Fucking duh, I'm discussing it. I also acknowledged the incongruity—I was wondering about the dissonance, if any. I'm not trying to come off as acerbic but come on man!

47 minutes ago, CARLOOA said:

The whole point was a thought exercise/discussion! I never get this reply: "you're overthinking this." Fucking duh, I'm discussing it. I also acknowledged the incongruity—I was wondering about the dissonance, if any. I'm not trying to come off as acerbic but come on man!

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.  Though, is this not what discussion is?  People offering their opinions/ideas on a matter?  You asked about dissonance; I offered my view on why there needn't be.  Discussion doesn't necessitate endless back and forth.  Personally, the idea that hope for equality being incompatible with putting forth a great product is easily explained by the fact that they're not mutually exclusive goals and finding pride in your craft to make the best thing possible is the aim of any self-respecting person.  I'd say it's more disingenuous to settle for less for yourself simply to appease the masses.  That's I guess the slightly longer version of what I was getting at, but I tend on the succinct side and I see how that can come off as dismissive, so apologies.  

4 minutes ago, piece keeper said:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend.  Though, is this not what discussion is?  People offering their opinions/ideas on a matter?  You asked about dissonance; I offered my view on why there needn't be.  Discussion doesn't necessitate endless back and forth.  Personally, the idea that hope for equality being incompatible with putting forth a great product is easily explained by the fact that they're not mutually exclusive goals and finding pride in your craft to make the best thing possible is the aim of any self-respecting person.  I'd say it's more disingenuous to settle for less for yourself simply to appease the masses.  That's I guess the slightly longer version of what I was getting at, but I tend on the succinct side and I see how that can come off as dismissive, so apologies.  

Ah, elaborating is discussion. "You're overthinking" limits my responses and has a chilling effect. No need to apologize, let me clarify that I think dissonance results from incongruity not from serving the masses but rather serving the 1% while advocating for the masses. Hence the reduction of dissonance through refugee clothing etc.