Acronym.

Westbrook

Thank you. It does indeed work like that and I have been rehearsing myself living with it like this for a while. It's just a shame you have to put any thought into it versus just throwing the jacket on and having it respond accurately. I think it's this aspect which is a mental blocker for me and it goes against why I love most of my other ACR stuff.

That being said its had me reading up on zips and how they work in detail so at least its been an educational exercise! The insulated stotz is quite a rigid setup so I'm guessing this is why they needed something more heavy duty than the WS version.

I've got one, too, and can echo some necessary adjustments needed to zip up. It's not a huge deal for me, though, as the rest of the jacket is amazing.

The Raccagni zipper assembly on the J50-S has been a nightmare. Right out the bag I experienced constant zipper-mismatching until it finally caught a snag and locked into place; had to devote about 45 minutes to remove the zipperstops to re-position the puller. Will play a huge factor in considering a non-Vislon acrnm jacket henceforth. 

Sorry to flog a dead horse on this one but I did some searching on this thread and it sounds to me as if the J55-MP might have the same zip as the J50-S. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true and if so whether or not the J55-MP has any issues with the zip? I'm curious for future purchases whether or not I need to avoid this Raccagni style for fear of similar issues. I have a horrible feeling something on the horizon I really want uses it...I've googled the brand and it seems to be out there with a good reputation and history so I'm assuming it's more something to do with the way it is put together in this particular configuration than any kind of quality issue with the zip company itself. Thanks.

Edited by RemarkableArmor

The Raccagni zips on both my J46 and LA5 have always worked flawlessly in my experience. I wonder if there is something particular about the J50 zipper layout that is causing the problems. I only have pictures to go on, but it does look like the zipper 'track' is awfully narrow on the J50.

The Raccagni zips on both my J46 and LA5 have always worked flawlessly in my experience. I wonder if there is something particular about the J50 zipper layout that is causing the problems. I only have pictures to go on, but it does look like the zipper 'track' is awfully narrow on the J50.

Thanks for the feedback. It may be looking narrow in the pics due to the material flaps on each side that can be folded over to conceal it.

Raccagni is used also on the j40-s and most recent 3a bags. They work great. It must be in the design

Cool - thanks for the info. It seems like it's a model-specific thing then which is 'good'. I have a 2015 3A-1 and I hate that zip (I didn't have it to hand to check the brand) but I know people are rubbing graphite on it to improve the smoothness etc. My issue with that one is more in that realm and it doesn't bug me a great deal. The J50 issue is that it just never naturally slots in without the calculated pull discussed above so it seems something is just a little out there.

Edited by RemarkableArmor

Thanks for the feedback. It may be looking narrow in the pics due to the material flaps on each side that can be folded over to conceal it.

Cool - thanks for the info. It seems like it's a model-specific thing then which is 'good'. I have a 2015 3A-1 and I hate that zip (I didn't have it to hand to check the brand) but I know people are rubbing graphite on it to improve the smoothness etc. My issue with that one is more in that realm and it doesn't bug me a great deal. The J50 issue is that it just never naturally slots in without the calculated pull discussed above so it seems something is just a little out there.

I've been always against the Raccagni Super R but it's a "luxury" zip—I think a lot of Saint Laurent gear uses them. I mean to say they're not "technical" zips and thus lack the smoothness of a Vislon. On the other hand, I put them on par with RiRi Filmetals. I wish they just used Vislon for smoothness or some larger gauge reverse coil.

I own/have owned the LA5-MP, J55-MP, J46-S/WS, J53TS-GT the only one I had problems with the Super R was with the J46-WS.

I've been always against the Raccagni Super R but it's a "luxury" zip—I think a lot of Saint Laurent gear uses them. I mean to say they're not "technical" zips and thus lack the smoothness of a Vislon. On the other hand, I put them on par with RiRi Filmetals. I wish they just used Vislon for smoothness or some larger gauge reverse coil.

I own/have owned the LA5-MP, J55-MP, J46-S/WS, J53TS-GT the only one I had problems with the Super R was with the J46-WS.

Thanks for the followup. Similar issue as me on the J46-WS? I've never seen that jacket in person.

Thanks for the followup. Similar issue as me on the J46-WS? I've never seen that jacket in person.

It's the lightness of the face fabric: it causes the zipper tape to sag and it becomes harder to zip consistently and also the fabric can easily be caught in the teeth. I really would've loved a big gauge vislon on this the J46-WS, not J58 big, but similar. It would've been the perfect jacket.

Also, all this talk about Raccagni...someone has a J55-MP for sale in the other thread... I wonder who that is...  ;)

Edited by CARLOOA

It's the lightness of the face fabric: it causes the zipper tape to sag and it becomes harder to zip consistently and also the fabric can easily be caught in the teeth. I really would've loved a big gauge vislon on this the J46-WS, not J58 big, but similar. It would've been the perfect jacket.

Also, all this talk about Raccagni...someone has a J55-MP for sale in the other thread... I wonder who that is...  ;)

Same issue with my J50-WS.  

You guys should speak with your wallets instead of words. At those prices these items should be near perfect!

Totally agree. That's why I've just sent my second J50-S back and am calling it quits on that one. I was already gonna leave it at the new price but there's no way I could live with something that cost a grand having a defect or needing modification out of the pack. There have been a few this season - people having to take P23s to the tailors to rectify stitching issues etc. One thing buying acrnm does is make me pay attention to the details and I do expect them to be all but flawless before I start abusing them.

Damn...the only reason I bought the J50-S was cause I slept on the WS and couldn't get hold of one. I have J51 and didn't have any issues there - assumed they would be the same (seems to be a Vislon and never had a problem)

Interesting, it doesn't happen often on my 50 but its often enough to be annoying.  I wonder if having the zip pull on the 51 makes any difference.

Does anyone wear an Acronym shell over a Veilance insulator? Did you have to size up on the shell? Wondering how a J1A would fit over a Mionn IS...

I seriously doubt you'd need to size up - Mionn is a pretty thin insulator right? The J1A is a pretty boxy/baggy fit so you can layer under there easily at your usual size. The GT is cut to accommodate the J58-WS for instance which is a lot bulkier than the veilance insulators I've had/seen.

Does anyone wear an Acronym shell over a Veilance insulator? Did you have to size up on the shell? Wondering how a J1A would fit over a Mionn IS...

Not sure if you are referring to the Mionn IS vest or jacket, but I wear a medium Mionn IS vest under a large J1A-GT . Depends on your layering strategy, but I opted to have the vest a little more fitted as it provides better heat retention. Gets a little tricky considering the Mionn jacket when sleeve length is a factor; would get a large under those circumstances. Might help to note that I'm tall with a slender build.  

I seriously doubt you'd need to size up - Mionn is a pretty thin insulator right? The J1A is a pretty boxy/baggy fit so you can layer under there easily at your usual size. The GT is cut to accommodate the J58-WS for instance which is a lot bulkier than the veilance insulators I've had/seen.

The reason I ask is that I tried the j58 in medium and the shoulders were too tight; on the other hand, my mionn is jacket is medium and fits great. So I'm thinking the j1a with an insulator would be too tight in medium, but a large would work.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any direct experience. Thanks for the help though!

I wore a Veilance Indisce blazer underneath a J39-S and J44 (at different times, not both at the same time) in Berlin the last few days. That might not be the answer you were looking for though :D

Edited by drgitlin

Could someone please take a picture of how the jacketsling-eque strap in the LA7-DS is supposed to be tied? Got mine with it untied and all my attempts keeps undoing themselves XD

Edited by Endless

Could anyone give me their views on how the J43A-GT fits compared to the J1A-GT?

I know the fit block is different but any information would be great. 

I.e did you take the same size in both jackets? While the J1A was fine in length, the sleeves were too long and the chest was too big which caused the fabric to bunch loads on the back.

Thanks guys

EDIT: Never mind, I think that was just a little wishful thinking. I'll just keep on being patient and hope someone gets back to my wtb post

Edited by Yoshiii

4 hours ago, Yoshiii said:

Could anyone give me their views on how the J43A-GT fits compared to the J1A-GT?

I know the fit block is different but any information would be great. 

I.e did you take the same size in both jackets? While the J1A was fine in length, the sleeves were too long and the chest was too big which caused the fabric to bunch loads on the back.

Thanks guys

EDIT: Never mind, I think that was just a little wishful thinking. I'll just keep on being patient and hope someone gets back to my wtb post

Just FYI, the 43A fits great, shorter than the J1A but slightly wider. Better shoulder articulation IMO.

10 hours ago, CARLOOA said:

Just FYI, the 43A fits great, shorter than the J1A but slightly wider. Better shoulder articulation IMO.

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed a typo whilst looking at the sizing information on one of the websites, gave me hope that a large would be good for me. But I think the medium would be best. Seems there's hardly any jackets popping up in medium at the moment

Hi guys so I currently own a j47-gt and a j1b-s but im now looking to buy a j43k or gt just wondering how the j43 fits in comparison to the other 2? Also if anyone would know how much j47gt's, j43k and gt's go for and could help me out with a price that would be amazing.

Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, junkie_dolphin said:

Slow time of year—I'm guessing SS-17 comes around March? What are you all hoping for this drop? Personally, I'm hoping to snag a j1b-s (or some other "-s" shell), maybe a 3a-2...

well i am thinking some back up for my 3rds collections,if silver 3a-1 and 8ts avaiable that would be lovely.

Ohter new or 'new' stuffs might show up as well,maybe the model p25 for hakama pants,but in case of crazy crowded during retails drops,i already copped one yohji yamamoto's one.