Acronym.

Westbrook

Not sure how I managed to do, but I bleached a dime-size spot on my p10-s (close to the knee). Since etaproof is cotton, I figure I should be able to dye, but I am a total noob when it comes to this. Do any of you has ever dyed etaproof or has any advice as to which dye to use, how to do it, etc

thanks in advance. 

Not sure how I managed to do, but I bleached a dime-size spot on my p10-s (close to the knee). Since etaproof is cotton, I figure I should be able to dye, but I am a total noob when it comes to this. Do any of you has ever dyed etaproof or has any advice as to which dye to use, how to do it, etc

thanks in advance. 

I've used a fabric marker for bleach spots on cotton before, works fine but won't ever perfectly match: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026Y6X5E?psc=1&smid=A2P5I4NW0QQAX1

thanks in advance. 

try india ink, made the bleach spot on my p20's almost invisible after dye seemed to do next to nothing. go to a local art shop and they'd probably have some

Whaddup, fellas;

Any of you J46-WS owners care to share some thoughts on it? I'm contemplating if I should buy or not. Being one of the plainer jackets, I wonder if it still has that "fuck yeah!" factor when one handles it? Are you blown away quality wise?

Also, I live in a place where it is usually between 32 and 17 fahrenheit (0 and -8 celsius) in the winter. How will it fare in these temperatures?

I also wonder how practical the feature of being able to zip the neck all up is. Is it just for looks, or does it add a noticeable difference in protection/warmth?

Finally - did any of you size up?

Thanks

Edited by Haackk

Whaddup, fellas;

Any of you J46-WS owners care to share some thoughts on it? I'm contemplating if I should buy or not. Being one of the plainer jackets, I wonder if it still has that "fuck yeah!" factor when one handles it? Are you blown away quality wise?

Also, I live in a place where it is usually between 32 and 17 fahrenheit (0 and -8 celsius) in the winter. How will it fare in these temperatures?

I also wonder how practical the feature of being able to zip the neck all up is. Is it just for looks, or does it add a noticeable difference in protection/warmth?

Thanks

I love it. It's classic—like a neo-mackintosh. I have no idea on the thermal insulating qualities but it seems sufficient in cold weather. I think that is a question that's better addressed with the material specifications sheet. I have only used it at around 40F and it is plenty warm. If it makes any kind of difference the current iteration of the Army ECWCS utilizes climashield in their insulator for cold 0F–30F extreme cold protection -50F–0F. Keep in mind these configurations have several under layers: a softshell for “cold†and midweight/fleece/softshell for “extreme coldâ€. I am 5' 9" 180lbs and I went medium, fits well with room for layering—it's more anti fit.

Regarding build and the high zip:

Overall build was great: the interior has a great hand and good for insulating. The exterior is ever so matted and interesting. The only criticism I have is the weight of the metal zip compared to the otherwise lightweight construction. (It's like 50% of the Stotz version I think?) To be fair, I might just hate the Raccagni Super R teeth+slider but I think a YKK Vislon with Aquaguard would’ve been great as the main closure zipper.

The neck zip is a good substitute for a scarf or gaiter, I think it provides enough coverage. Just closing the top zipper also gives the ability to wear the rest of the jacket open so you can look like a villain or antihero.

Edited by CARLOOA

I've used a fabric marker for bleach spots on cotton before, works fine but won't ever perfectly match: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0026Y6X5E?psc=1&smid=A2P5I4NW0QQAX1

try india ink, made the bleach spot on my p20's almost invisible after dye seemed to do next to nothing. go to a local art shop and they'd probably have some

Thanks guys. Wrote to Stotz and that's what they recommended doing as well (ie. using a black marker or black ink). 

Are J1a and J1b comparable (general tech winter weather resistant jacket)? I know J1b-s use stoz which isn't as water resistant as Goretex, but if one were looking for a general winter jacket are there any pros to going J1b over J1a other than price, assuming they are comparable? 

Edited by cktenders

@CARLOOA:

Much appreciated, man. From your comments it seems I would have to size up to an XL to get the 'anti-fit'. I'm 6'3" and I've seen models of similar heights donning a small or a medium. Which of course looks fucking dumb. Like wearing a straitjacket. Anyways, thanks again for your answer. It made me a wiser man.

Edited by Haackk

@CARLOOA:

Much appreciated, man. From your comments it seems I would have to size up to an XL to get the 'anti-fit'. I'm 6'3" and I've seen models of similar heights donning a small or a medium. Which of course looks fucking dumb. Like wearing a straitjacket. Anyways, thanks again for your answer. It made me a wiser man.

I tried both a M and a L and difference was less in the girth and more appreciable in the sleeves/length. I honestly thought the drape was fine with both except for the Demna Gvasalia sleeves. If you have a thick neck, upsize though—my medium is very close to being restricting.

Yeah, anti-fit is maybe not the right choice of words. Would rather say oversized. Or maybe not oversized, just normal sized (as dudes being 6'3"/190 cm never should wear a small ACR jacket like the end model does). I just don't want the jacket to be too tight.

Edited by Haackk

Yeah, anti-fit is maybe not the right choice of words. Would rather say oversized. Or maybe not oversized, just normal sized (as dudes being 6'3"/190 cm never should wear a small ACR jacket like the end model does). I just don't want the jacket to be too tight.

I see where you're coming from, Errolson used to have baggier fits and it looked great. But honestly I think the key to ACR looking good is to be in shape (or be a naturally bigger guy). Ive had similar experiences with Rick and Yohji, the stuff is cut for a bigger guy and if you cant fill out your natural size, sizing down just throws all the proportions off. 

j9t1k4.jpg

I see where you're coming from, Errolson used to have baggier fits and it looked great. But honestly I think the key to ACR looking good is to be in shape (or be a naturally bigger guy). Ive had similar experiences with Rick and Yohji, the stuff is cut for a bigger guy and if you cant fill out your natural size, sizing down just throws all the proportions off. 

j9t1k4.jpg

I guess my operational definition of anti-fit meant that I don't think it's properly characterized as "Straight" fitting or "Profile" fitting. If you're familiar with Arc'Teryx normal sizing it's more "Expedition" than "Athletic." The J46 can fit a bit more than the current "Straight" fitting outerwear.

Other J50-WS owners, 

What's the most effective way to clean neck stain? It's minor but I want to properly care for it before it becomes a problem. 

Thanks in advance!

I get bad ring around the collar, on my expensive dress shirts I've got my technique down. First you rub Goop into the stain real good with your fingers or soft tooth brush, let it sit for a while. Then hand wash with Kookaburra followed by an air dry. Good as new. I'll occasionally double it up with Oxy concentrate, but the Goop does well on it's own. Acronym materials are going to be sturdier than any of my dress shirts so I wouldn't see an issue on a jacket.

Edited by capnpyro

Whaddup, fellas;

Thanks

the J46 is actually my favourite acrnm jacket precisely due to its subtle take on the classic trench coat.  i have the J46-S from last winter, which i basically wore all winter; couldn't wear anything else after trying it on.  if the insulation is the same, it's super warm and super versatile.  i've also tried on the J46-WS from this season, and found the sizing slightly looser then the -S version perhaps due to the material difference; personally i like the -S version better because of the 'structure' of the material.  i am 175m tall and size S fits perfect, even with layering under but its warm enough to not need too many layers underneath.