Acronym.

Westbrook

SS-j2 is hoody,but heavey and warm, all conditions interops jacket.Might be the closest choice according to your description.

Thanks, that is a good place to start. I'm not so worried about being too warm/heavy, more so just not being a shell jacket. Looks like the ss-j2 fits a size small (get a L if I am a M)? 

Edited by cktenders

Got my sz L J1A-GT in, really tight in the chest/shoulders/arms but plenty of room around the waist. Kind of afraid sizing up will just make it wider around the waist and not really make a difference elsewhere. Thoughts?

EDIT: Nevermind, made up my mind, will return for an XL.

Edited by jesterrp

anyone have any insight into sizing for the j-58 liner? like if you own a L size shell would you just get an L for the liner or would you size down so it fits better with the shell?

hope they make more liner variations in the future too

What would someone with an size S shell do then? 

The fit is »profile« which usually means that it's rather tight and sizing down would be a bad idea.

Edited by kraak

J56

Since someone is finally talking about the J56, I hope you don't mind me asking again:

Anyone have an idea if there are two searate compartments in those cargo pockets or if top and side access lead to the same "space"?

I think i would have prefred a zipper/buttons combination like elsewhere, but am intrigued by the closure and fast exit options I imagine this solution to provide. It seems like accessing the J58 left-side pockets might be a bit fiddly, given the extra material there?

I think it's the same pocket but dual entry like the P10A cargos. This is because the gravity pockets count as two, the waist welt pockets are two, and these are two for the total of six outer pockets.

I like the idea of the J56 a lot but I'm concerned about the price hike on all these shells. I'm assuming this one will fall into the £1200 type bracket whereas it might have been £750ish before.

Yeah, it's a 45–50% increase. Is it really that surprising? You fuckers voted for Brexit... /s  ;) . Honestly though, price transparency isn't really a thing with these types of products. The EU's economy is also in flux so there any number of things that can contribute to the price hike. W.L. Gore is private and I don't regularly purchase yards of PTFE membrane so I don't even know if the supply chain could contribute to such a palpable price difference. Oh well, going to buy it anyway.  :ph34r:

Same opinions.

I would definitely pay as much as for loro pianas or even schoellers. But for gore,I'm cool with that,just leave these shinys to new kids.

Well, my personal preference was:loro>ss>Epic cotton>ds>etaproof>gore

Not having too much experience with pirmaloft and polartech.

Only if a super strong pattern, say s-j14 or Gt-j16, I will consider having them not much struggling with materials preference.

Just wonder, why epic over etaproof? 

I mean we're guessing here but it looks like the same detached entry style pocket to the P24 cargo. Definitely looks like a zipper run on the back of that pocket. I'd guess the top and sides are different compartments.

I think they're a shared pocket but dual entry. I wonder if this type of configuration allows easy access with the jacketsling...?

hmu if you ever want to sell the j47a, haha!  :ph34r:

Everyone always says this. I love the J47A conceptually, but I haven't even worn mine out yet. Every time I've reached for it I've gone for my J1A or J28... maybe I'll sell it if something amazing comes alone in the next few releases?

Everyone always says this. I love the J47A conceptually, but I haven't even worn mine out yet. Every time I've reached for it I've gone for my J1A or J28... maybe I'll sell it if something amazing comes alone in the next few releases?

What good is it doing sitting in your closet? :P 

I feel you though - i always have certain jackets that I reached for. It's the J43A for me rn, or my rick Ma-1.

Yeah, it's a 45–50% increase. Is it really that surprising? You fuckers voted for Brexit... /s  ;) . Honestly though, price transparency isn't really a thing with these types of products. The EU's economy is also in flux so there any number of things that can contribute to the price hike. W.L. Gore is private and I don't regularly purchase yards of PTFE membrane so I don't even know if the supply chain could contribute to such a palpable price difference. Oh well, going to buy it anyway.

Someone did mention a few pages back that GTX prices have increased (so it's affecting all outdoor gear using it). That's at least partly at fault here.

This thread is in the autism spectrum.

shit, no fun in wearing a three layer nylon face poly grid backer ptfe  laminate with twelve 5mm vislon reverse coil polyurethane coated locking pull zippers and mil-spec 500d vat-dyed cordura webbing if you can't sperg out about it every once in a while. 

shit, no fun in wearing a three layer nylon face poly grid backer ptfe laminate with twelve 5mm vislon reverse coil polyurethane coated locking pull zippers and mil-spec 500d vat-dyed cordura webbing if you can't sperg out about it every once in a while.

100+

stop making up weird pricing mechanics guys. acr prices reflect their market position. nothing more, nothing less.

Covering cost isn't a weird pricing mechanic. Everyone takes into account cost of materials since companies generally try to maintain profit percentage or hard numbers—the mark up usually burdens us consumers.  :) Not really confident in Errolson eating the WL Gore increase for us. 

If everything were priced by material and manufacturing cost, everything would be cheaper than they really are, especially brands working with synthetics. Acronym positions them self as an exclusive brand by pricing them self the way they do. Do some of you honestly believe a fucking t-shirt cost $300+ or any other garment for that matter, just because it was made in _insert Japan or whatever Western nation_? I know brand positioning and prices are not something anyone wants to openly talk about, but it is what it is. 

In the case of Acronym, perhaps it MAY have to do with things going on in their Czech republic factory...

If everything were priced by material and manufacturing cost, everything would be cheaper than they really are, especially brands working with synthetics. Acronym positions them self as an exclusive brand by pricing them self the way they do. Do some of you honestly believe a fucking t-shirt cost $300+ or any other garment for that matter, just because it was made in _insert Japan or whatever Western nation_? I know brand positioning and prices are not something anyone wants to openly talk about, but it is what it is. 

In the case of Acronym, perhaps it MAY have to do with things going on in their Czech republic factory...

I'm talking with particularity. I'm stating that material cost is considered in pricing—something so basic, I know. I am not talking about the high cost of the brand completely. Do you honestly believe a fucking company doesn't consider the cost of goods sold? ;)  

I think people are conflating pricing strategies with pricing considerations.  I was trying to point out that many things are considered. Logically, since the material cost and production cost are increasing, the bottom line pricing will adjust. Additionally, since the price hike was ~47% from previous seasons, I was speculating on the causes however small. I was not suggesting that a material cost increase was the singular factor.

With that said, what's going on in the Czech Republic?

Edited by CARLOOA

Changing subjects, to the people who did not size up with the J50-WS, how are you liking the jacket movement/look-wise?

I've been really digging the L-2 flight jacket look and I know it's cut "profile" so I'm wondering how fitted it really is. I'm assuming the Stotz version will have less "give" than the Windstopper and could be more restrictive. It looks like the shoulder construction contemplates movement but it looks fairly tight on Lenny (fabric pulling when closed) and he looks like he has a slender build.

I've been going M (5'9"/175cm ~180lbs/80kg) in all Acronym stuff and feeling good about the sizing so I'm apprehensive about sizing up and having too much space in the midsection.

i only tried on the j50-ws from last fw and the medium was pretty fitted on me and i'm usually an M [5'9" and ~155lbs]. i definitely would not have sized down to a S, but the L could have worked too. 

almost had that jacket, but when i ordered it the shop shipped the wrong item and the jacket was sent to someone else :/

Changing subjects, to the people who did not size up with the J50-WS, how are you liking the jacket movement/look-wise?

I've been really digging the L-2 flight jacket look and I know it's cut "profile" so I'm wondering how fitted it really is. I'm assuming the Stotz version will have less "give" than the Windstopper and could be more restrictive. It looks like the shoulder construction contemplates movement but it looks fairly tight on Lenny (fabric pulling when closed) and he looks like he has a slender build.

I've been going M (5'9"/175cm ~180lbs/80kg) in all Acronym stuff and feeling good about the sizing so I'm apprehensive about sizing up and having too much space in the midsection.

I'm same height and 20 pounds lighter and the 50ws is pretty fitted. Unless it's all in your legs or they adjust the cut for stotz, sizing up might not be a bad idea

As with all "Profile" pieces, you should generally size up. I have the J50-WS and I take a medium, and it's still restrictive in the shoulders (5'9" / 150 lbs). I wear a small in most other "Straight" pieces like the J1A-GT. 

Edit: You should size for your shoulders, as I think that's the most confining aspect of the J50 pattern. If you have broad shoulders or any muscle mass, you will definitely need to size up 100%. I wouldn't worry about the midsection, but the length might be a concern. 

Edited by chaosen

i only tried on the j50-ws from last fw and the medium was pretty fitted on me and i'm usually an M [5'9" and ~155lbs]. i definitely would not have sized down to a S, but the L could have worked too. 

almost had that jacket, but when i ordered it the shop shipped the wrong item and the jacket was sent to someone else :/

I'm same height and 20 pounds lighter and the 50ws is pretty fitted. Unless it's all in your legs or they adjust the cut for stotz, sizing up might not be a bad idea

As with all "Profile" pieces, you should generally size up. I have the J50-WS and I take a medium, and it's still restrictive in the shoulders (5'9" / 150 lbs). I wear a small in most other "Straight" pieces like the J1A-GT. 

Edit: You should size for your shoulders, as I think that's the most confining aspect of the J50 pattern. If you have broad shoulders or any muscle mass, you will definitely need to size up 100%. I wouldn't worry about the midsection, but the length might be a concern. 

Thanks all. I guess it's a L—or I might get both and sell/return the one that doesn't fit.