Acronym.

Westbrook

what's good everybody, it's been a long time.

I see scamster still on here and active, what's good S, and thanks for the info on the shirt(if you don't remember look on page 30)

still have my melange SS-J2 and its holding up well.

I Run A 3a-5tsr with an MZ2TS(xpac), MSOL, MTS3(Which holds a Benchmade 42), L1-15(xpac)

and this has been my school Bag, true messenger bag(dropping off pakages at the post office on my bike when it was my only transportation... and now lately :/ a diaper bag.

the leather on the side needs a good scrub, but Aside from that everything from Acronym had been top notch(aside from the MSOL, but I usually charge it before I go anywhere.)

recently picked a KR-SM1(the one with holes on Grailed)

the zippered Envoloped,

H4-AK,

and

Prestos....

ya got a little collection now

and was thinking about the NG5-AM..... are you usually sensitive to wool.

cause I am really thinking about picking up an AM or AK...

ALeo looking for an EJ-4TS XL

I'm from Toronto and the dudes at the brick and mortar store are top notch with their customer service

I like Haven—I usually pick up my Veilance from them. Haven't purchased any Acronym from them due to their wonky pricing sometimes. On that note, does anyone else go through the currency/tariff decision tree?

Here's an equation for quick/dirty estimation/reference:

Price of good / (1+X) * Y * (1+Z)

X = VAT

Y= USD to Foreign Currency

Z= Tariff rate

For the tariff rates:

In the case of most Acronym jackets the US Harmonized Tariff Schedule headings/subheadings are:  

- Stotz jackets: 6201.92.1700, @ 6.2% (Men's Jacket Heading, 6201; Cotton Subheading, 92;  Water Resistant Suffix, 1700)

- GT jackets: 6210.40.1500, 6201.99.15 6210.40.2520 @ 3.8%, 4.2% or 7.1% (Garments made out other textiles Heading, 6210; Outerwear Subheading, 40; Recreational Performance Outerwear Subheading, 99;  Surface coated suffix, 1500; Subject to man made fiber restraints; Other Anorak, 2520—Since brokerage services can fuck this up depending on what is shipped and described, I think I would use the 7.1% rate as a conservative estimate when doing this kind of decision.

So for example, the J43A-GT from Peggs & Sons

1117 / (1.20) * 1.3 * (1.071) = 1295

X= EU VAT 20%=.20

Y= 1.3 USD to 1 GBP

Z= 7.1% = .071

Thus, the J43A-GT from Peggs in the UK is 1295 before shipping. This is way cheaper than $1542 USD from Haven

EDIT:

Also, assumptions here are:

- The exporting country has Normal Trade Relations with the US.

- The ad valorem exceeds 800 USD  and that the purchaser is in the US. (There is duty on apparel imports from the EU.)

Edited by CARLOOA

I like Haven—I usually pick up my Veilance from them. Haven't purchased any Acronym from them due to their wonky pricing sometimes. On that note, does anyone else go through the currency/tariff decision tree?

Here's an equation for quick reference:

X = VAT

Z= Tariff rate

For the tariff rates:

In the case of most Acronym jackets the US Harmonized Tariff Schedule headings/subheadings are:  

- Stotz jackets: 6201.92.1700, @ 6.2% (Men's Jacket Heading, 6201; Cotton Subheading, 92;  Water Resistant Suffix, 1700)

- GT jackets: 6210.40.1500, 6201.99.15 6210.40.2520 @ 3.8%, 4.2% or 7.1% (Garments made out other textiles Heading, 6210; Outerwear Subheading, 40; Recreational Performance Outerwear Subheading, 99;  Surface coated suffix, 1500; Subject to man made fiber restraints; Other Anorak, 2520—Since brokerage services can fuck this up depending on what is shipped and described, I think I would use the 7.1% rate as a conservative estimate when doing this kind of decision.

X= EU VAT 20%=.20

Y= 1.3 USD to 1 GBP

Z= 7.1% = .071

Thus, the J43A-GT from Peggs in the UK is 1295 before shipping. This is way cheaper than $1542 USD from Haven.

Haven is Canadian.  Their USD pricing is their CAD pricing converted to USD.  CAD duties/tariffs are significantly higher in many regards to the US, and sometimes the UK; certain technical apparel hit a duty/tariff rate of close to 20%.  The biggest dinger for Canadians who shop at Haven is the extra 12 percent they have to pay on top of the retail price.

PS - you think their prices are wonky, look at Union LA.

Quick note on the NG5-AM - I'm going to have to send mine back, it's too itchy for me. I'm quite sensitive to wool but wanted to try the cashllama anyway. Real shame because it looks pretty awesome being slightly transparent through the ribbing.

Also check them really carefully - mine had an extra hole in it and was about to start unravelling.

Edited by RemarkableArmor

Haven is Canadian.  Their USD pricing is their CAD pricing converted to USD.  CAD duties/tariffs are significantly higher in many regards to the US, and sometimes the UK; certain technical apparel hit a duty/tariff rate of close to 20%.  The biggest dinger for Canadians who shop at Haven is the extra 12 percent they have to pay on top of the retail price.

PS - you think their prices are wonky, look at Union LA.

Yeah, Haven became great when oil plummeted. Thanks NAFTA. I love buying SISP and Veilance form Haven. They always have great pieces and their retail is considerably lower than US retailers.

Additionally, there are sometimes foreign transactions fees in addition to shipping that people should consider when making purely economic decision on where to buy ACRNM. 

Here's an equation for quick/dirty estimation/reference:

X = VAT

Z= Tariff rate

For the tariff rates:

- Stotz jackets: 6201.92.1700, @ 6.2% (Men's Jacket Heading, 6201; Cotton Subheading, 92; Water Resistant Suffix, 1700)

- GT jackets: 6210.40.1500, 6201.99.15 6210.40.2520 @ 3.8%, 4.2% or 7.1% (Garments made out other textiles Heading, 6210; Outerwear Subheading, 40; Recreational Performance Outerwear Subheading, 99; Surface coated suffix, 1500; Subject to man made fiber restraints; Other Anorak, 2520—Since brokerage services can fuck this up depending on what is shipped and described, I think I would use the 7.1% rate as a conservative estimate when doing this kind of decision.

X= EU VAT 20%=.20

Y= 1.3 USD to 1 GBP

Z= 7.1% = .071

Thus, the J43A-GT from Peggs in the UK is 1295 before shipping. This is way cheaper than $1542 USD from Haven

EDIT:

Also, assumptions here are:

- The exporting country has Normal Trade Relations with the US.

- The ad valorem exceeds 800 USD and that the purchaser is in the US. (There is duty on apparel imports from the EU.)

Those tarrif rates seem extremely low; my GT-J29A was close to $600 in duties when I bought it from Acronym back in whatever season it came out.

Those tarrif rates seem extremely low; my GT-J29A was close to $600 in duties when I bought it from Acronym back in whatever season it came out.

The miscellaneous jacket rate is astronomically high at 27.7%. I think Acronym jackets are properly characterized as recreational performance outerwear privy to a lower duty because of the features with articulation and reinforcement. I am a state and local tax lawyer though—not a customs lawyer. I think the disconnect is the descriptions.

Another reason may be the country exporting may not have normal trade relations with the us. In that case the duty is super high as well. Also, brokerage fees for the whole schebang.

Edited by CARLOOA

The miscellaneous jacket rate is astronomically high at 27.7%. I think Acronym jackets are properly characterized as recreational performance outerwear privy to a lower duty because of the features with articulation and reinforcement. I am a state and local tax lawyer though—not a customs lawyer. I think the disconnect is the descriptions.

Another reason may be the country exporting may not have normal trade relations with the us. In that case the duty is super high as well. Also, brokerage fees for the whole schebang.

From what I know, we are charged very little for brokerage fees when Acronym ships using UPS worldwide express saver.  I've seen the breakdown many times and brokerage ends up being less than 20 dollars most of the time; the majority is tax/duties/tariffs.

Why you get dinged really bad has nothing to do with Acronym,it has to do with how the UPS brokerage agent declares the good.  The declaration determines the tariff/duty code, which determines the rate you pay.  That's why brokerage fees vary wildly between different buyers.  It could be declared as a jacket, a technical jacket, as technical fabric, as protective outerwear - whatever the person declaring it decides it is.  

If you really wanted to save the coin, and if it is worth your time, declare the item yourself.  Notify UPS that you will process the customs clearing yourself.  Find the lowest duty/tariff code you think will apply and then clear it at customs yourself.  Note - some customs officers may disagree with your declaration and inspect your package and make their own decision on what it should be imported as.  At the very least, you'll save on brokerage costs.  I pay a buddy in my logistics department to do it for me all the time.

If you really wanted to save the coin, and if it is worth your time, declare the item yourself.  Notify UPS that you will process the customs clearing yourself.  Find the lowest duty/tariff code you think will apply and then clear it at customs yourself.  Note - some customs officers may disagree with your declaration and inspect your package and make their own decision on what it should be imported as.  At the very least, you'll save on brokerage costs.  I pay a buddy in my logistics department to do it for me all the time.

EXACTLY. It was worth my time for a J-55MP, they tried to use the Miscellaneous jacket rate @ 27.7% but were confused as to the classification (customs hold) and I was able to get it reduced based on the fact that recreational performance outerwear has 5 of the following:

• (i) insulated for cold weather protection;
  • (ii) pockets, at least one of which has a zippered, hook and loop, or other type of closure;
  • (iii) elastic, draw cord or other means of tightening around the waist or leg hems, including hidden leg sleeves with a means of tightening at the ankle for trousers and thightening around the waist or bottom hem for jackets;
  • (iv) venting, not including grommet(s);
  • (v) articulated elbows or knees;
  • (vi) reinforcement in one of the following areas: the elbows, shoulders, seat, knees, ankles or cuffs;
  • (vii) weatherproof closure at the waist or front;
  • (viii) multi-adjustable hood or adjustable collar;
  • (ix) adjustable powder skirt, inner protective skirt or adjustable inner protective cuff at sleeve hem;
  • (x) construction at the arm gusset that utilizes fabric, design or patterning to allow radial arm movement; or
  • (xi) odor control technology

I am irrationally happy that you also take your time to declare your items. Additionally, I think my brokerage from UPS was recently ~35 or something. I think it's a sliding scale based on cost. I have had something imported cost more in brokerage due to additional services. Another sometimes useful piece of information: if you resell and export there are times when you can get duty back—though it's cost prohibitive in some cases and time consuming.

Edited by CARLOOA

Just got J53TS-GT through...psyched! I've never been one for long coats so is a bit of a new thing for me. Just trying to digest all the articulations...

My J43A-GT is coming Friday but it's coming to my office and I'm at a client's.  :( 

Has anyone got their ACRNM.com shipping notice for the FW drop?

EXACTLY. It was worth my time for a J-55MP, they tried to use the Miscellaneous jacket rate @ 27.7% but were confused as to the classification (customs hold) and I was able to get it reduced based on the fact that recreational performance outerwear has 5 of the following:

• (i) insulated for cold weather protection;
  • (ii) pockets, at least one of which has a zippered, hook and loop, or other type of closure;
  • (iii) elastic, draw cord or other means of tightening around the waist or leg hems, including hidden leg sleeves with a means of tightening at the ankle for trousers and thightening around the waist or bottom hem for jackets;
  • (iv) venting, not including grommet(s);
  • (v) articulated elbows or knees;
  • (vi) reinforcement in one of the following areas: the elbows, shoulders, seat, knees, ankles or cuffs;
  • (vii) weatherproof closure at the waist or front;
  • (viii) multi-adjustable hood or adjustable collar;
  • (ix) adjustable powder skirt, inner protective skirt or adjustable inner protective cuff at sleeve hem;
  • (x) construction at the arm gusset that utilizes fabric, design or patterning to allow radial arm movement; or
  • (xi) odor control technology

I am irrationally happy that you also take your time to declare your items. Additionally, I think my brokerage from UPS was recently ~35 or something. I think it's a sliding scale based on cost. I have had something imported cost more in brokerage due to additional services. Another sometimes useful piece of information: if you resell and export there are times when you can get duty back—though it's cost prohibitive in some cases and time consuming.

How do you declare your own items when you've ordered something? I did a quick search for guides but so far everything seems related to items you are shipping yourself.

As long as we are talking import fees for reference, the fees on my j1a-gt shipped from the main site to the us were $327 

How do you declare your own items when you've ordered something? I did a quick search for guides but so far everything seems related to items you are shipping yourself.

As long as we are talking import fees for reference, the fees on my j1a-gt shipped from the main site to the us were $327

You can do several things.

You can make sure the seller describes the product correctly and hits key words in the description (see above). You can call the courier brokerage services prior to clearance so as to provide them the information for accurate assessment. You can have a deficient description outside of the package and it will have clearance delay and they'll have to get back to you (you might be liable for storage fees). You can even fill out a form yourself to declare the item.

The J1A-GT duty you paid sounds like lazy classification by anyone upstream of the delivery making you pay 27.7%. Because they're usually assessing the package from the supplied documentation it can be said it's the seller's fault—be it ACRNM(Sumimasen Erlsn-sama), Firmament, END, etc. Ultimately, the onus is on you as the importer to make sure the information is readily available for proper classification.

TLDR; ACRNM JX-GT duties should be assessed lower than 27.7%— stay woke.

Edited by CARLOOA

I too paid $322 for my J1A-GT shipped from main site to the US. I'll be taking CARLOOA's advice if I make another large purchase over $800

I bought a J1A-GT a couple months from acrnm.com and paid $242 on import fees. I believe mine was tagged at 19% as a goretex jacket. I said it sounded pricey and the import agent offered to dispute it if I wanted to try for a lower rate, I figured I'd just pay it rather than deal with the hassle. 

Edited by capnpyro

Extremely good to know, thanks. 

So, here is a really easy way to explain this for retailers of ACR GT jackets since they're the largest customs hit. It is basically trying to get the jacket properly classified. Here's some boilerplate for you fellow f®iends with duty troubles. This is attempting to frame the classification as 6201.99.8030 @ 4.2%.

6201 (jacket) 99 (performance recreational outerwear of other textiles) 8030 (subject to other textile restraints because its nylon faced) 

I am the importer with regard to this item, I am liable for duties etc. Could you please note, with particularity, the item shipped.

Please include that the item is:

1. A man's jacket 
  2. Of other, Gore Tex/Nylon, materials
  3. And the 'Recreational Performance Outerwear' characteristics are fulfilled since the jacket has at least five of the the following features:
    • insulated for cold weather protection
    • pockets (>1 zipped)
    • draw cord hem or ankle tightening
    • venting
    • articulated elbows
    • weatherproof closure
    • adjustable good or collar
    • adjustable powder skirt/inner protective skirt/inner adjustable cuff
    • arm gusseting or pattern design for radial arm movement
    • odor control

As a disclaimer this ain't legal advice, this is simply my experience and my understanding of these authorities.

Edited by CARLOOA

So, here is a really easy way to explain this for retailers of ACR GT jackets since they're the largest customs hit. It is basically trying to get the jacket properly classified. Here's some boilerplate for you fellow f®iends with duty troubles. This is attempting to frame the classification as 6201.99.8030 @ 4.2%.

6201 (jacket) 99 (performance recreational outerwear of other textiles) 8030 (subject to other textile restraints because its nylon faced) 

As a disclaimer this ain't legal advice, this is simply my experience and my understanding of these authorities.

you the real mvp 

not a trench guy myself but starting to regret not picking this up. it is true to size?

So profile-wise in the shoulders it fits true to size i would say but there's definitely some room to layer as I think it says with J50, J51, J58 and so on. Quite good variation with the collar up, down, storm hood etc.

I'm not sure a J51 would look too good under it but I'll give that a go in the interim wait for J58.

where i'm from (korea), we have a free trade agreement with the EU that allows the recipient to be exempt from 

customs fees if there's a statement declaring the origin of the good on the invoice. (still have to pay sales tax)

i just got word from ups yesterday that the statement was missing for the pants i ordered from acrnm.

would it be too much to ask if i asked acrnm for a new invoice?