Acronym.

Westbrook

Just wandering why J1A-GT doesn't make success. It's passed some time since it drop and still all sizes available on ACR site. To me it looks great and it encloses ACR history since it's the very first jacket designed.

I'd argue it has more to do with the fact the jacket design really isn't all that appealing to new Acronym buyers. A reissue of the GT-J28 might have made more sense--if sales was the primary concern.

I don't think that sales are the primary concern though as you point out, that is one big aspect of whet ACR does that really appeals, they kind of exist in their own (off)world, they do what they want without wanting to lead OR follow. 

Def a quality I admire and can relate to.

Just wandering why J1A-GT doesn't make success. It's passed some time since it drop and still all sizes available on ACR site. To me it looks great and it encloses ACR history since it's the very first jacket designed.

I like to think that because it is the first jacket they made that has all the ACR history, they decided to make a shit ton of them.

Just wandering why J1A-GT doesn't make success. 

Availability on the acrnm site doesn't mean it's unsuccessful.

Unlike most acrnm products the j1a-gt isn't a season release. Therefore it's (probably) being produced in a higher quantity.

Edited by Trisa

Yeah maybe the old design is the main answer. Not justified to me, still a futuristic piece. You also have basically all ACR subsystems in one jacket.

Possibly because of the customs fees from having to buy it off the acrnm website. It ran me 300 USD to get one here. Most people just aren't willing to pay that much extra on an already expensive jacket.

Has anyone ever ran in their acronym trousers? They all articulated and shit so I'd figure they're quite good?

Neither ETA Proof cotton nor Scholler breathes well enough for any sort of extended run beyond a quarter/half mile (at max).

Clothing articulation doesn't mean anything when it comes to running. I'd run in shitty yoga pants over acronym pretty much any day of the week. I'd also "kick a head" much easier in the aforementioned than acronym also.

I realize for a lot of people all the articulation/materials/cool little functions are so awesome (And they definitely are and scratch an itch I've had for years), but at the end of the day, they are fashion. They don't make you into a waterproof techno superhero.

Edited by exhaust fumes

Is the j43 really a short as people say? Kind of bummed I missed out on the acr nmn one.

It's not that short; perhaps not even something I would've noticed on my own.  I'm only aware because people have mentioned it here.  But it's intentionally shorter, as cmdR mentioned when it first released, to keep the high collar from being obtrusive when seated, which probably would be an issue if it were a normal length.  Things like this is a perfect example of what Errolson means when he says that pieces are so well thought out and calculated that an inch difference can make the whole garment not work.

Yeah the J43 was a funny one for me and that manifested itself by me wearing it about twice then consigning it to the closet (for now). It fits a lot tighter round the body than my other Acronym jackets of the same size which meant I couldn't get my beer gut under it so easily but the main thing is that hood...I seriously found it impossible to walk around wearing that thing for fear of getting hit by a car. It's probably great protection when standing still but for walking down the street with complete tunnel vision....I just always thought that was a bit of a flawed design (sorry!). I'll give it another go when things get wet again but found it a frustrating purchase all in all personally.

Neither ETA Proof cotton nor Scholler breathes well enough for any sort of extended run beyond a quarter/half mile (at max).

Clothing articulation doesn't mean anything when it comes to running. I'd run in shitty yoga pants over acronym pretty much any day of the week. I'd also "kick a head" much easier in the aforementioned than acronym also.

I realize for a lot of people all the articulation/materials/cool little functions are so awesome (And they definitely are and scratch an itch I've had for years), but at the end of the day, they are fashion. They don't make you into a waterproof techno superhero.

agree! until I see what are military personel wearing for missions and I can't stop questioning why they are not wearing leggings, with shorts. same goes with boots vs. sneakers.

last year I went for a OCR and there was guy running in ACU cargos and even when he was wet he did not look that uncomfortable as I felt for him.

anyone has pics of tactical gear/personel wearing leggings?

Edited by danii

agree! until I see what are military personel wearing for missions and I can't stop questioning why they are not wearing leggings, with shorts. same goes with boots vs. sneakers.

last year I went for a OCR and there was guy running in ACU cargos and even when he was wet he did not look that uncomfortable as I felt for him.

anyone has pics of tactical gear/personel wearing leggings?

Your thoughts are not too far off the mark. Among a lot of troops now, low-top hiking boots have come into popularity. (Merrell MOAB is one example) Simply because they're substantially more comfortable, and work better in the mountains versus standard boots. 

On the other side, back in the 80s, it was common for Soviet troops to wear Russian knockoff Adidas sneakers. (Whether for comfort or simply because they couldn't get boots, I don't have an answer)

Leggings are usually used underneath BDUs for weather and flame protection, and that's about it. Usually speaking, there's a requirement for fire-resistant undergarments and gear- If you end up in a scenario where there's a lot of fire, life gets a whole lot shittier when your clothing has decided to melt to your skin if it goes up for whatever reason. DRIFIRE, UA, and a few other companies offer FR rated undergarments, but I don't know how popular they are. BDU pants are great, because you can store lots of crap in them, it'll protect from scrapes and dirt, and you can integrate kneepads into most. I'm sure someone could come up with a legging that can hold kneepads, like a future spacesuit of some sort.  

There exists a balance between being comfortable and having protection in an environment. Lots of guys will wear short sleeved T-shirts, or a protec helmet that offers very little in terms of protection, but is comfortable, and you can mount all your IFF crap onto it. Of course, it all depends on your SOP, mission requirements, and the area you're in.

(I resold military surplus for a while and looked up reference pics for figuring out who wore what and what stuff belonged to who. There's lots of ingenuity out there.) 

Edited by limeaide

Yeah the J43 was a funny one for me and that manifested itself by me wearing it about twice then consigning it to the closet (for now). It fits a lot tighter round the body than my other Acronym jackets of the same size which meant I couldn't get my beer gut under it so easily but the main thing is that hood...I seriously found it impossible to walk around wearing that thing for fear of getting hit by a car. It's probably great protection when standing still but for walking down the street with complete tunnel vision....I just always thought that was a bit of a flawed design (sorry!). I'll give it another go when things get wet again but found it a frustrating purchase all in all personally.

My J43-K is one of my favorites!  Sorry to hear yours isn't what you hoped.  Yeah, the hood does cut peripheral vision a bit, but I haven't found it to be a major problem on sidewalks...definitely wouldn't wear it walking on the street.  But I wouldn't called it flawed design--more a tradeoff, as it's meant to provide complete elemental protection, and in that regard it excels and is leagues beyond normal hoods.  What you gain in protection you lose in peripheral vision :(  But as a glasses wearer I appreciate the funnel, as with normal hoods in rain my glasses will always get wet (and obscure my vision anyway), but with the J43 my face is completely safe.  And I've found it basically eliminated any windchill on a hike I took the other day with 30mph winds.

Thanks for the info guys.

J43-gt or j43k?

They're going to be very different.  GT's thicker, more structure, more elemental protection: perfect for FW.  The K is thinner and lighter, less protection (in that it's not as waterproof as GT): perfect for SS.  But if you're just in the elements for a few minutes at a time (e.g. from building to a cab) then almost anything marketed as "water resistant" will be "waterproof" for all intents and purposes.  It really only makes a difference if you're out in downpours for prolonged periods of time.

And owning a few black GT shells myself, the K brings welcomed variety to my closet.

If im usually a small how would a medium in the J28-K fit?

Cheers

I usually wear M for most jacket and I'm 180cm and wide shoulders. J28-K in M fits to me slightly baggy, more than the ACR site pics. I think a Small should definetly fits in a S.

Need a sleeve for my 13" MBA as it's worn two holes in my 3A-1. Anyone have any they'd recommend? I was thinking about the Head Porter one but at 3cm wide I can't see it fitting easily into the bag. Manhattan Portage do one that's pretty slim that may be better.

Maybe a neoprene incase cover? You should reinforce the area of the two holes, I used duct tape on the holes in my 3A-1...

Way ahead of you on that last one—reinforced packing tape and superglue.

Curious as to how it wore through? I've been using mine with a 13" mbp for a year and yet to see any issues. Is it just that it doesn't have very rounded edges or something? I'm imagining the air would rattle around in there without any real pressure points. Thanks