Acronym.

Westbrook

hi everyone, 

to follow up on the washing topic, would like to seek advise on how to wash the following:

J46-S HD Gabardine Climashield® Coat

J49-SS schoeller® 3XDRY® WB-400â„¢ Jacket

LA5-MP Object Dyed Multiprene Long Sleeve Shirt

P10-DS schoeller® Dryskin™ Articulated Pant (didn't quite catch what the best conclusion/option is for washing these...)

is normal drycleaning ok for all of the above?

* also, the 'glue' on the ACRONYM tag on my J46-S seems to be falling/peeling off... what should i use to re-glue it back in place?

thanks alot in advance for your help :)

The sz tag is basically a thick seam tape. You can try to press it with an iron, but I caution you to have something laying on the face of tag so you do not accidentally melt the label and char everything else around it.

( it does require a great amount of heat /  pressing down /  pressure / Hold to start bonding with the fabric considering how thick the tags are)

Edited by dsxero

The sz tag is basically a thick seam tape. You can try to press it with an iron, but I caution you to have something laying on the face of tag so you do not accidentally melt the label and char everything else around it.

( it does require a great amount of heat /  pressing down /  pressure / Hold to start bonding with the fabric considering how thick the tags are)

thanks dsxero :)

any advise on washing?

thanks dsxero :)

any advise on washing?

Follow the instructions that are printed on a tag in each garment. They print those and sew them in for a reason, it's not just to give the people at the factory something to do.

Look, I get it for things like the escape zip or the little velcro tabs on some of the sleeves. But washing instructions are sewn into each and every item! We're discussing clothes that quite literally come with an instruction manual. Is it too much to ask that people at least read those? 

Yes, I have lost all patience. If anyone needs me I'll be outside shouting at some clouds.

Decent interview at Highsnobiety with Errolson Hugh

ACRONYM seems to be born out of a bigger idea than just simply making clothes. It’s almost like you’re preparing your brand for an uncertain future. Almost like clothing for science fiction.

Absolutely. The relation between science fiction and technological development, and how that affects society, is deeply related to ACRONYM’s aesthetic. We founded the company in 1999 as a legal entity and started doing the basic groundwork for what would become the brand. Designing the first product took us about two years and, in 2002, the first product actually came out.

Everyone at the company is always looking at how devices, modes of transport or our environment affect us. We live in a highly constructed world and most of the apparel that existed pre-ACRONYM didn’t really address that in an everyday context. Interestingly, the things we focused on back in the early days of ACRONYM are just now becoming commonplace. We definitely don’t have to explain things so much anymore. When we first started people were like, “Why would I need this?â€

One of the ideas I always come back to – I can’t remember where I first heard it – is the proposition that everyone is already a cyborg; contact lenses, a phone that’s basically external memory. Things you carry around on a day-to-day basis augment you in ways that a few decades ago were science fiction. You don’t have to graft a device onto your skeletal system to be a cyborg. Everybody is already a cybernetic organism because of how intimately electronics are implemented into our life.

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/04/13/errolson-hugh-interview/

Interestingly, the things we focused on back in the early days of ACRONYM are just now becoming commonplace. We definitely don’t have to explain things so much anymore. When we first started people were like, “Why would I need this?â€

I love this. I've taken gravity pockets, forcelock, and other systems for granted because they make so much sense in the world we live in now, and so to not accommodate tech seems foolish. But I've forgotten that ACR has included these systems since their inception, a time when iPhones weren't even around yet, music was hardly portable, etc. So a feature that once would beg the question, "Why would I need this?" has now turned into, "Why doesn't everything have this?"

Errolson has a unique window into the future, and I'm glad to have a good view too.

Edited by piece keeper

I was rocking a discman back in the 90s, and people were using cassette players/radios even before that. The original walkman came out in 1979, and the original Regency TR1 transistor radio was 1954. If you want to be digital only, the old Rio came out in 1998 and the iPod was 2001. How are those not portable?

Forcelock is a nice idea, but it doesn't really hold strong enough to make it worth hooking your buds to it.

I was rocking a discman back in the 90s, and people were using cassette players/radios even before that. The original walkman came out in 1979, and the original Regency TR1 transistor radio was 1954. If you want to be digital only, the old Rio came out in 1998 and the iPod was 2001. How are those not portable?

Forcelock is a nice idea, but it doesn't really hold strong enough to make it worth hooking your buds to it.

Yeah, as did I, but I certainly didn't bring it around all that much because 1) it didn't have that cool anti-skip technology, so listening to it on the move was a pain and 2) I wouldn't want to carry around multiple CD's everywhere. Yeah, iPods were around back then too (and my preferred Zune), but they were pricey and nowhere near as accessible as they are now (in terms of price). Of course there's degrees of portability, so yes those things were portable, but maybe more in the binary sense of not-portable vs. portable. But along the spectrum of portability, those things occupy the weaker end of portability to me. Regardless, I was making a personal reflection/statement; thinking out loud essentially with my comment, hence "I" and not "we"/"you".

And I find Forcelock perfectly capable for my earbuds. I mean, they are strong enough to handle a knife!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_AcCz4aJfQ#t=1m40s

Yeah, as did I, but I certainly didn't bring it around all that much because 1) it didn't have that cool anti-skip technology, so listening to it on the move was a pain and 2) I wouldn't want to carry around multiple CD's everywhere. Yeah, iPods were around back then too (and my preferred Zune), but they were pricey and nowhere near as accessible as they are now (in terms of price). Of course there's degrees of portability, so yes those things were portable, but maybe more in the binary sense of not-portable vs. portable. But along the spectrum of portability, those things occupy the weaker end of portability to me. Regardless, I was making a personal reflection/statement; thinking out loud essentially with my comment, hence "I" and not "we"/"you".

And I find Forcelock perfectly capable for my earbuds. I mean, they are strong enough to handle a knife!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_AcCz4aJfQ#t=1m40s

Your phrasing here: music was hardly portable, etc. is just awkward and not true, but I'll drop this because I suppose I'm being overly pedantic. 

Re forcelock: Unless your buds are mostly metal, the headphones will fall off a lot. A knife has a lot more actual metal surface area to stick on. I have the clip on forcelock off a DS-J12 and it's much happier grabbing a fingernail clipper. It also had more of a tendency to clip to itself when the jacket is off which is another story... The factory Apple buds as modeled by Acronym like to come off with some very mild jostling. I would be more than a pleased potato if it did actually work better. 

Hey. New here and just getting into ACR.

I picked up a J25-WS (Large) and absolutely love it. Now I want a more substantial Acronym jacket and am looking at the J47-GT, J43-GT, J32-GT, etc (the simpler short jackets).

However, the local shop has limited stock and sizes to try on, and size info online seems inconsistent and hard to compare to my current jackets. (i.e. Haven vs End vs Acronym website list different measurements for 1/2 chest).

If I'm a L in the J25-WS, would it be safe to assume an L in the other jackets is likely the best bet? The measurements make it look like I could be an M or and L, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks for any tips!

Your phrasing here: music was hardly portable, etc. is just awkward and not true, but I'll drop this because I suppose I'm being overly pedantic. 

Re forcelock: Unless your buds are mostly metal, the headphones will fall off a lot. A knife has a lot more actual metal surface area to stick on. I have the clip on forcelock off a DS-J12 and it's much happier grabbing a fingernail clipper. It also had more of a tendency to clip to itself when the jacket is off which is another story... The factory Apple buds as modeled by Acronym like to come off with some very mild jostling. I would be more than a pleased potato if it did actually work better.

Heh, no worries. I guess I'm just looking at it this way: 15 years ago, even with all those portable music players out there, seeing people plugged into their earphones was not really common. Today it's ubiquitous.

And good point re: Forecelock. I have some Nocs which work really well with em.

I picked up a J25-WS (Large) and absolutely love it. Now I want a more substantial Acronym jacket and am looking at the J47-GT, J43-GT, J32-GT, etc (the simpler short jackets).

However, the local shop has limited stock and sizes to try on, and size info online seems inconsistent and hard to compare to my current jackets. (i.e. Haven vs End vs Acronym website list different measurements for 1/2 chest).

If I'm a L in the J25-WS, would it be safe to assume an L in the other jackets is likely the best bet? The measurements make it look like I could be an M or and L, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks for any tips!

I am NOT the resident ACR sizing expert but I have can say without a doubt that the J25 is the slimmest-fitting ACR anything I've encountered. If it fits perfect I'd say your size is definitely L

Edited by donburi

I picked up a J25-WS (Large) and absolutely love it. Now I want a more substantial Acronym jacket and am looking at the J47-GT, J43-GT, J32-GT, etc (the simpler short jackets).

Thanks for any tips!

Hey man, I bought a Large J47-GT from Grained, was my first piece.i also own the J25-WS. The J47 Fits perfectly well with an average thickness hoodie underneath for me,and like you the J25-WS fits great too!

Follow the instructions that are printed on a tag in each garment. They print those and sew them in for a reason, it's not just to give the people at the factory something to do.

I ask because I cannot seem to find the washing instructions, and following recent discussions re different experiences w different fabrics, I was simply trying to see if anyone has better advice for certain materials. you can just ignore my question if you feel no need to answer, you don't have to be a f---ing asshole about it! but then, if making idiotic replies as you did makes you feel superior or better about yourself, so be it.

I ask because I cannot seem to find the washing instructions, and following recent discussions re different experiences w different fabrics, I was simply trying to see if anyone has better advice for certain materials. you can just ignore my question if you feel no need to answer, you don't have to be a f---ing asshole about it! but then, if making idiotic replies as you did makes you feel superior or better about yourself, so be it.

Took me 2 minutes to find the care tags on 5 jackets and 4 pants.

No one has better washing advice then the care tags. If you can afford $1000 jackets then you can afford the time it takes to find those.

Thanks for any tips!

The J25-WS fits much slimmer (ime) than the J32-GT in the same size - I tried both on at Ink recently. Sizing would depend on your layering needs, but if you don't need to layer too much, I'd say you can go a size down (from your J25-WS size) on the J32-GT or the J47-GT. 

Edited by chaosen

I can't help but share this since it's roughly 10 years in the making. I missed out on the Silver Foil 3A-1 but I'm very happy to have added the 3A-3TS-SVR to my collection. Limonta on my original 3A-1 has aged very well, although 2 of the zippers are no longer functional. Here's to hoping Errolson re-releases the white 3A-1 in the future! or if any of you feel like parting with yours, let me know :)

26393255426_bd842a33bb_b.jpg

If I see you around town with that 3a slvr, i may have to mug you.

nice collection homie

If I see you around town with that 3a slvr, i may have to mug you.

nice collection homie

Ha! I read mug as Hug. Either way, I'd be more than happy to show off the 3A-SVR to you if you're curious. You should be able to find me in either the Olympic Village or hanging out near Haven :P 

wow, the patina on the 3a-1 looks awesome; hoping mine turns out half as good as yours. the zippers on my 3a-1 get stuck regularly and feel like they might break at some point though i think it's gotten a little better. not surprised that you've had issues with them. 

regarding forcelock, agreed with exhaust fumes that they don't work that great with the iphone ear buds. they always fall off with minimal pull. 

The J25-WS fits much slimmer (ime) than the J32-GT in the same size - I tried both on at Ink recently. Sizing would depend on your layering needs, but if you don't need to layer too much, I'd say you can go a size down (from your J25-WS size) on the J32-GT or the J47-GT. 

Hey man, I bought a Large J47-GT from Grained, was my first piece.i also own the J25-WS. The J47 Fits perfectly well with an average thickness hoodie underneath for me,and like you the J25-WS fits great too!

I am NOT the resident ACR sizing expert but I have can say without a doubt that the J25 is the slimmest-fitting ACR anything I've encountered. If it fits perfect I'd say your size is definitely L

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like if I want to layer I might want the L, but if I'm ok using it with light shirts then the M would be ok.

For reference, I can wear the Large J25 with a light sweater or normal weight sweatshirt and it's still good. If the M in the J47 (for example) is bigger than the L in the J25 already (which is looks like based on the measurements), then it seems like some reasonable layering should be possible even with the M.