Acronym.

Westbrook

I can almost guarantee you will get hit with something.  using a private brokerage like UPS/Fedex etc will almost ALWAYS result in extra fees - whether it be duties and brokerage fees or just brokerage fees.

I know both the Canadian government and US government (federal mail services) tend not to charge duties on things under 200 (as a rule of thumb), but parcel services WILL.

For the USA it's not so much a rule of thumb as it is the law. If a parcel service tried to collect on less than $200 USD you may even petition the US government to cancel the duties get your refund.

Unfortunately I don't know of any such dispensation for Canada. I heard everything over $20 CAD gets duties.

As a rule of thumb, if the government can fuck you over, they probably will.

They'll go in dry !

I figure if folks can fork out on the stuff in the first place they can expect to pay the expected duties.

Problem is that in the US/CA folks are not used to VAT being included in the price like alot of us eurobeings do and have done forever !

think on it as a bonus if you do not get levied.

@Shieldsy: I guess it's different in Quebec. I'm dinged--pretty hard--for anything over $50. And am hit with, at least, $20 for items declared under $50 shipped via couriers like UPS, Fed-Ex, DHL etc.

That's pretty weird that you do.  The post service is a federal service and they pretty much roll by the same rules no matter point of entry; according to unspoken government guidelines, it's just not worth the labor cost to process any item for duties if the item is less than 60 dollars (that's the unspoken threshold.)

It may have to do with different PST, though.  Because GST/PST is also levied on top of the duties.

I know this because I've worked at a brokerage and my schooling was taught by current Canadian customs officers.

while we're on the topic i just got a sweater from norse store and checking online they seem notorious for custom fees from using fedex and marking the item at full value.

checking the label and the package was marked as $192.00 value and described as a "mens hoodie 100% cotton."

from what i know there's a chance i won't get hit with customs because the item is valued under $200 but i am never sure with fedex. what do you guys think?

I ordered a Herno Laminar jacket from them earlier this fall. They sent the wrong jacket so I was thinking it will be a mess to sort this out with Fedex, but never received any bill (they did mark down the value quite a bit though). Unfortunately, when they sent the actually jacket I bought, they marked full value and of course, I got a Fedex bill 2-3 weeks after I got the jacket. I was only charged ~9% though 

They'll go in dry !

I figure if folks can fork out on the stuff in the first place they can expect to pay the expected duties.

Problem is that in the US/CA folks are not used to VAT being included in the price like alot of us eurobeings do and have done forever !

think on it as a bonus if you do not get levied.

It's mostly the US. They've been spoied for decades by companies like Amazon that didn't charge tax on internet purchases (and some states have 0% sales tax anyway :0 ) so the idea of paying duties+customs+brokerage+tax seems horrific lol

Even so, the government isn't really the villian here. Anything sent through USPS $200 is exempted or if under $2,500 you may get lucky. It's the peivate parcel services who usually want their pound of flesh.

get a proxy have the value altered, there are several EU folks around.

I second this.

Though I have to say you should be a bit careful; when you buy direct from Europe, you drop the 20% Vat.  Make sure the shipping/proxy fees/currency exchange does not exceed the 10-12% difference (you generally pay about 25-30% on VAT-less prices for duties/etc.)  or you will end up paying more for your acronym product or paying the same but having to wait double the time and having the risk of losing an underdeclared package.

Just saying. 

This happened to me a couple years of go when i purchased some stuff off the-glade/archive from EU. The original bill was already pretty substantial, and then to see a customs slip for a nearly a half grand on top of shit? That pissed me off no end, sorry you guys are having to deal with that shit. 

so, I've been writing a monthly column for Heddels (formerly rawrdenim) and have been fortunate to enjoy a long leash to talk about things that get me going.  It's called Beneath the Surface.

last week's was about tech blazers and how their current technical form is linked to menswear tradition.  it involves some geeking out about design / functionality and talks a lot about the genius that is Herno Laminar City Zip Blazer.  A lot.

I thought it might be of interest... I'm trying to get the word out, so if you dig it please do consider circulating to your peeps and pardon the x-post with urban techwear.

http://www.heddels.com/2016/01/a-tech-blazers-dual-ops-function-and-form-beneath-the-surface/

oh yeah you're probably right.

this isn't really the thread for this but grailed's redesign really bothers me. It's completely aesthetic and they actually removed some useful features. search and filters STILL has has awful and confusing usability

wouldn't be surprised to see new listings saying "message me for better price."

Hi I'm looking to get a S8-C for the hot spring summer in southern cali. It says to size down 1. I normally get medium tops from acronym (I'm 5'9 150lbs) and they're pretty good. They are out of larges so would medium be okay?

I wear my S8-C TTS.

I was told that Errolson and Lenny also wear theirs TTS and not sized up like in the promos.

Hi Guys,

I bought a J-47GT recently and I'm thinking about replacing the olive zipper/puller with something black or grey. I understand this will make it void for resale but I prefer a greyscale aesthetic, has anyone here thought about doing something like that before? Am I being a total idiot?

Cut it off, it's a jacket. Make it do what you want it to do.

If that "voids" resale to somebody later then that's not the kind of jacket they need to be buying anyway :)

Edited by jbob24

On the subject of zipper pull tape -

Can anyone give me a step by step of how to tie the knot ?

The knot as it's tied on the J47A-GT main zip ? 

Driving me nuts trying to figure out how to tie it !!

( I've managed the first bit weaving it through the holes in the metal zipper, it's just the knot itself ) 

acr%20zipper%20pull%20tape_zpsrvyd5kts.p

Hi Guys,

I bought a J-47GT recently and I'm thinking about replacing the olive zipper/puller with something black or grey. I understand this will make it void for resale but I prefer a greyscale aesthetic, has anyone here thought about doing something like that before? Am I being a total idiot?

I did it with my J47A-GT.

Replaced it with one of the previous-gen velcro zipper pulls that I had spare.

Just untie the current pull and keep it somewhere safe. When you want to resell the jacket, just tie it back on.