Acronym.

Westbrook

Nah the bottom line is that the second shot was leaked by someone who DGAF about the "shared agreement" that's nearly certain to be in a legally binding document.  Dude isn't an "idiot," he was in a position to leak, felt compelled to, and did.  

all dude had to do was keep the photo to himself, and he'd still have an account. the leak cost him the account. buyer wasted both the brand's and rep's time. dude's an idiot.

If the leaker can be identified by ACR, they can pursue whatever legal remedies are available and/or blacklist that buyer.

already done.

Going to venture a guess it's because he has subnet access / is financially invested in wholesale or retail of ACR / enjoys maintaining the status quo because it helps him sell clothing.

Or he's sekret-erlsn,

Or ACR is experimenting with white knights this season (so daring!)

Edited by Stacks

serrriouusssslllyyyy...letttsdropanacccounnnntttt....loseeemonneeyyy...andthenpurrrsueeeelegalllaccctttiooohhhnn...thatllllalsocostsmoneeyyy

butttttttithougggghhhtttweeewereeeinvesttinngitallllllonnntheeeprrroddducccttttt..? didddd...lvvvvvmmhhbuyyyus?

EDIT: Okay, I'll stop being immature. The white knighting is annoying AF, and any discussion at this level triggers immediate associations to the Californians SNL skit.

ACR has a handful of stockists, and I imagine that it's a close knit bunch of people, potentially on a first name basis. (i.e. Dear Erlsn, Good morning, I hope you get this well. How's the weather?) I don't think anyone is burning any bridges for a leaked photo that may or may not have come from their showroom.

I can't imagine ACR being anything other than a pretty lean business. (I mean, End and their terrible styling still get a pass, c'mon.) I don't think they can't afford to just say "nope" to an account who spend x,xxx~xx,xxxx EUR on their wholesale orders. 

Why doesn't anyone think it's from the Nemen showroom? It's a Nemen collab, with Nemen flooring–the leak is likely coming from that end. I imagine their showroom is a lot more traditional in the sense that there are heaps more buyers.

And seriously, legal action?

Edited by WillKhitie

I think at this stage in Acronyms life to be still doing the Subnet thing is super affected and precious. Its still a highly niche product but to restrict access to a few people who can see the items in advance like they are members of some of exclusive club is bullshit. Its almost disrespectful to the genuine consumer who isn't a hype driven kid but is interested in buying interesting and high end product. If I want to see a preview of a product I want to buy next season why shouldn't I. Its not like the 2000s.

Edited by undercover73

It's just a clothing brand... you respect it by paying them lots of money.  

Interesting statement. Got me wondering why I never considered ACR as just a clothing brand. 

For me ACR feels really personal. Like a relationship with Errolson and Michaela. Through the use of the gear I gain an almost intimate understanding of who they are as people.

And I'm not exactly sure why but I feel a lot of gratitude towards them for making these things that I can buy (with my hard-earned money). Like I'm glad these things actually exists in the world because the alternative is too much to bear. Pretty crazy right?  

Bottom line is that ACR makes me happy and I'd love it if other people can experience the same joy I have, because that means there are more like-minded people I can hang out with, online or offline. 

I think I have issues LOL! 

I feel subnet is a symbiosis, buyer gets the chance of not getting gazzumped and ACR get a 'feel' as to what individual buyers are favouring, ergo production sizes, models etc are shaped around this initial litmus test.

shops and business to a lesser degree, as they only are the middleman in the transaction.

seems sensible dont you think?

I feel subnet is a symbiosis, buyer gets the chance of not getting gazzumped and ACR get a 'feel' as to what individual buyers are favouring, ergo production sizes, models etc are shaped around this initial litmus test.

shops and business to a lesser degree, as they only are the middleman in the transaction.

More importantly, I think, Subnet provides ACR the funds to start production for the season. I don't think Subnet will be open to the public as long as retail remains an important pillar of their business. But then again nobody expected acrnm.com either.

It's just a clothing brand... you respect it by paying them lots of money.  

I can't think of a single reason for the info lockdown beyond artificially inflating hype (the longer you have to see the products before they are on sale the longer you can consider them without feeling rushed to buy).  And it certainly works, because every season at the drop there is mass trigger pulling and then the impulse buys make their way back to the resale market like clockwork.

That's a business decision by ACR and leakers do so at their own risk, but it's not some great dishonor to not GAF about it.

I think at this stage in Acronyms life to be still doing the Subnet thing is super affected and precious. Its still a highly niche product but to restrict access to a few people who can see the items in advance like they are members of some of exclusive club is bullshit. Its almost disrespectful to the genuine consumer who isn't a hype driven kid but is interested in buying interesting and high end product. If I want to see a preview of a product I want to buy next season why shouldn't I. Its not like the 2000s.

Well there's already a documented example of a fashion company ripping off Acronym's designs. With the growing proliferation of techwear brands it makes sense for Errolson to keep the collection under wraps. Designers are more permissive of photography on the runway these days but the showroom is still considered sacrosanct. 

There are other business reasons to consider like the long lead time from showroom orders to retail delivery; nobody wants to Osborne a collection by advertising next year's fashion before the current one sells out (particularly for a techwear brand where the clothes are designed to be worn all year). 

From a consumer perspective of course I would love subnet access. And Acronym glorifies the hacker ethos so I feel scouring the net for any info is fair game (short of going all black hat and attacking the servers). But, as cmdR explained, if you have a personal attachment to, and appreciation of, Acronym then you have to balance your desires with the goals of the company and let them be discreet about these things.

I think subnet is still primarily about the retail shops. When Acronym went direct-to-consumer for SS14 they cut out subnet completely. Individual buyer feedback is... well... I'm ambivalent about audience participation in strongly auteur driven creative fields like fashion...

Edited by SuE

I'm partial to how the temp of this conversation has changed. (thankyoujesus) I for one love the existence of subnet, it feels like an IRL analog to a Gibsonian concept. 

A post-geographic showroom, wherein buyers and cult members/otaku are the only ones privileged to have log-in access to."

You could drag the fantasy really far. i.e. Hosted on server arrays mounted on sub-orbital weather balloons in a geosynchronous orbit to a render farm in Kowloon. Peripheral-esque augmented reality lobby where you can log into.

It's proof that unicorns are real–jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

I think at this stage in Acronyms life to be still doing the Subnet thing is super affected and precious. Its still a highly niche product but to restrict access to a few people who can see the items in advance like they are members of some of exclusive club is bullshit. Its almost disrespectful to the genuine consumer who isn't a hype driven kid but is interested in buying interesting and high end product. If I want to see a preview of a product I want to buy next season why shouldn't I. Its not like the 2000s.

I'd guess those few people are still largely the Havens, Firmaments, and Tanky & Tojos of the world who order a few *bales* of ninja coats and Chilean vampire bat-fur steeze tuques for their retail racks. In terms of volume, anyhow. I suspect that Subnet sales to private individuals, friends of the house, if you will, are a small proportion of the total intake, and aren't at all the reason the Subnet scheme persists.

It does generate buzz, though (I mean, look at us), and that doesn't seem to hurt.

The degree to which acr-fans internalize the acronym image is testament to how strong the brand really is. Subnet, secrecy, obscure nomenclature, it's all part of Erlsn's acronym-concept. It's at once terribly silly and exceptionally creative brand-building. More than any of it's contemporaries, acr sells an experience. 

Edited by Inkinsurgent

Can't deny the feels in here; the branding clearly works on many people.

I think the product speaks for itself and, at least at this point, doesn't need some secret society superiority complex identity play to help justify its existence.  Actually, it weirds me the fuck out be associated (even to be having this conversation) with some dude fantasizing about being techlluminati.  

But if you're a sucker for *really* well placed zippers in black, you just have to deal with it because no one does ACR even 75% as good as ACR.  Even if someone was at 90% they still wouldn't capture the market, which clearly is willing to pay damn near anything for optimum techninj.  

Maybe you can't divorce Errolson's complete vision from the quality of the product and that's why there's no real competitor; but if all other things were equal I would put my money behind the entity that respected said money enough to show me the product at the same time as everyone else.

If it was about funding, they could offer retail consumers the chance to pre-order (since they are already doing their own retail).

Someone might think I'm shitting on ACR but it's actually high praise.  Just make your awesome clothing and charge me exorbitantly; I'll even pay you up front.

Edited by Stacks

srsly?  That's all it takes to get subnet access?! real question.

No little extras, just your subnet login details on your 3rd purchase

I've heard something similar, wouldn't doubt if i'm just getting ribbed lol - just seems a little more exclusive when it says "invitation only" on the login screen

LOL.

Hey man can't hurt to know!

Edited by Albm

I've washed my Polyant 8TS a couple or three times.  Removed strap, inner pocket module, & white vinyl liner, handwashed in a gallon bucket with Grainger Gore-Tex cleaner, rinsed four or five times, hung it to dry.  Slight degradation of the silkscreening on the inner lid, but no other visible negative consequences.

The vinyl liner is easy enough to clean, but some colored marks won't come out of it, even with mild solvents.

Don't know if Grainger's soap will do for fish and onions, though.

Edited by misanthropod

Rumor has it, in order to show devotion to the brand, one needs to show mastery of the GRAVITY POCKETÆ, have learned all the acronyms for the codes that the brand uses, and shave their head and grow a goatee in order to be qualified for access to the subnet.

I've washed my Polyant 8TS a couple or three times.  Removed strap, inner pocket module, & white vinyl liner, handwashed in a gallon bucket with Grainger Gore-Tex cleaner, rinsed four or five times, hung it to dry.  Slight degradation of the silkscreening on the inner lid, but no other visible negative consequences.

Did this with regular sensitive detergent–worked like a charm / exactly like you mentioned (degradation included).