Acronym.

Westbrook

'the function is the aesthetic' .... The function is to work as a zipper - the aesthetic is 1) or 2) or 3) etc. They all function as zippers and while there may be some tactile 'improvement' with the new zip (which I've used, FWIW), it is not a black and white decision. They could have gone another direction and done a full taped WP zipper or stormflap like Syphon said. And as bryanayrb notes, It is a balance between aesthetics and function, and the exuberance of both, which has always set ACR apart.

Anyway, this is getting repetitious; and total :facepalm: re: 'condescending .' In no way/shape/form was I comparing ACR to interns/students, lol. ACR totally gets the need for functional logic behind design choices! Have always felt 100% simpatico there. But thanks for clearing that up for me :) We can certainly agree that either one 'get's it' or one does not.

-edit: fucking autosmily

I don't mean to press, but re: WP zippers, these zips are harder to zip and will diminish the ease of operability. Having a flap may be a better solution but it is unnecessary when the current and old zippers keep out water well already, also it will slightly diminish operability by keeping the zipper tabs hidden.  

Acronym is all about efficiency and SMOOTH DYNAMICS.

I feel that a sportsman or martial artist might get a better understanding/appreciation of ACR's core values, simply because of how the items are designed.  

And I don't want to spell out what I think is ACR's core because it is instinctual and I think I have shared enough of what I think it is. Not out to change anyone's opinion; if you get it cool, if you don't cool .

Also, I'm jumping in on the metal hardware conversation pretty late but I personally prefer the aesthetics of the older YKK zippers more but appreciate how chunky and sturdy my current one is.

I think it's one of those things that will grow on you. At least that is how I felt when I first saw em. (It has). 

Thank you sweet little baby Jesus!  The wonder of -ch fabric has put my deadlifting, squattin', lunging (fat)ass back into some much needed ACR pantaloons!!  :D

P10 has long since been my favorite pattern and I've been pretty well SOL the last few season, Epic does not have much "give" to it.  I know it's old news but this is the first of this newer material I've got my hands on and I am impressed.  Whoever described it as "luxe" nailed it, very smooth and almost silky.  

Can anybody comment on the long term durability? 

jbob24 yes it feels luxe, but I forgot to point out, within the context of industrial-grade fabrics; which actually makes it all the more awesome imho. 

Long term should be good. It is industrial microtwill after all. Haven't washed mine yet but from what I've seen, it will slightly fade and patina like cotton. Keep us posted if you can! 

Edited by cmdR

I'll buy this (tho it still rubs me the ever-so-slightly wrong way; much like the J40 - which I'm otherwise fully happy w/)

There's a functional downside to the metal zip btw: when it's cold out (like right now, fuck you, climate change) you better wear a scarf or something because that metal zip against your neck is unpleasant.

I don't mean to press, but re: WP zippers, these zips are harder to zip and will diminish the ease of operability. Having a flap may be a better solution but it is unnecessary when the current and old zippers keep out water well already, also it will slightly diminish operability by keeping the zipper tabs hidden.  

Those options were clearly pointed out as a means of seeing one aspect of functionality played out to its fullest. A devils advocate for waterproofness. Spitballing. The downsides are clear, as you mention. Nobody is actively advocating for them. Just like how nobody (except maybe TaoSpace) was clamoring for a new zipper to begin with ;) It functioned well, integrated with the Interopsæ principals, and met the visual expectation as projected by the rest of the bag materials/hardware. Harmony.

Those options were clearly pointed out as a means of seeing one aspect of functionality played out to its fullest. A devils advocate for waterproofness. Spitballing. The downsides are clear, as you mention. Nobody is actively advocating for them. Just like how nobody (except maybe TaoSpace) was clamoring for a new zipper to begin with ;) It functioned well, integrated with the Interopsæ principals, and met the visual expectation as projected by the rest of the bag materials/hardware. Harmony.

No I'm with Taospace here. The old zippers needed improvement. Will be upgrading my old faithful sooner than later.

Ok, so we're talking about the new zippers... For Dr. Jon G:::

Does the new metal zipper going up and around your neck grab your hair (facial or otherwise)? Srs question... I'm sure it'd be fine wearing it like a shawl collar but what about when its up and the hood is on?  B)

I'm relatively clean shaven at the moment so that hasn't happened but if you had a beard I could imagine that would be a possibility if you didn't have a scarf or shemaugh or whatever.

You think Erlsn's twitter comments today were in response to the recent function//aesthetics discussion on this thread? Just seems coincidental is all.

Possibly...

Also, I think it's what you are into... And if you have gripes about Errolson's designs... well, it's his company lol.

If you think you can do it better... make it happen! I'd like to see some brand try and take their stab. I've seen the copycat brand from taiwan known as 4dimension... cheaper... dunno about better... and Rick Owens? no thanks to those prices as well...

But this discussion is fun to read nonetheless. Again, I say wait for fall/winter... But then again, I am biased. ALL HONESTY.

seems coincidental is all.

The yin/yang thing was totally germane and poetic (why I linked to it in the last post). The balance and reinforcement of principals is something I feel is so key in these particular disciplines. Hard to do tho, why people love to go to one end of the spectrum or other (thus the dichotomy) - easier that way.

Props to cmdR tho, thats some seriously attentive self-projection. All brands should be as lucky to have as feverish discussion, ha- 

Just wondering what's the fit on the acronym x nemen j43?

The cut does seem smaller.. Anyone has any fit pics?

I'd check out Haven.  They have a few acronym pieces up with measurements.  I'm not sure if you can relate to the model (I definitely can't) but it might give you a frame of reference.

I remember awhile back, someone was saying Acronym just kept doing the same styles in different materials and they were bored of the redundancy... Now Acronym tries to pave new ground, and everyone's a fuss! The critique in design from aesthetics X functionality completely align with Yin & Yang concepts. So if Errolson is reading this, which I think he is... He's listening... lol

But I don't really see what this and that, of a zipper on a bag is such a big deal, If you want the black zipper, find and buy the old one used... if you want the new, so be it. easy. don't sleep.

I didn't see it mentioned here but surely another reason why the 3rd arm & interopsæ are designed is concealement ?

Less easy to pickpocket and another litttle nod towards the stealth aspect i always thought.

Plus it just looks great eh?