Acronym.

Westbrook

Guys...

Need some advice...

Are acronym jackets and pants good enuff for the Canadian winter?

Say -20 to -30 degrees?

Don't wanna freeze my nuts off when I head there this December...

If not acronym, what kind of get up will do?

North face triclimate?

Enlighten me pls...

Thx :)

If you wore a softshell (TAD Gear ranger, for example) then an Acronym hardshell would be fine, IMO.

Softshell under a hardshell might suck for breathability, plus it won't be warm enough for a Calgary winter. Try layering an ultralight down piece under your acronym. Merino base layers will help too.

under a hardshell, to me, the best option is a merino base layer + merino sweater or insulator (arc'teryx main line, veilance or leaf for example)

under a hardshell, to me, the best option is a merino base layer + merino sweater or insulator (arc'teryx main line, veilance or leaf for example)

I'm not sure a merino midlayer would be enough for midwinter in Calgary. An insulator is a great idea though - I use an Atom Lt, though admittedly I break out my (down) ice climbing parka on frigid days when the Atom isn't enough.

The TAD Gear Ranger hoody/jacket's are fleece and not softshells. They do work really well as an insulating layer.

Apologies, you're completely right. I confused it with the Stealth, which I owned and wasn't happy with. The Ranger is a decent midlayer, you are right, though I'm not sure it's warm enough for james.tan

3rdArm update!

Just got myself a 3A-MK2. This is fucking awesome.

More pockets than a 3A-1, if a little unstable. So glad I got the 3TS.

ZljV5h7.jpg

Side note, does anyone know what these detachable tags are for?

5abTjQU.jpg

They don't seem necessary to affix the module. I use the vertical tags to slot the module on, then the loops to attach the corners. These tags just seem to get in the way, I remove them before using the module. 

^ That was always my concern with the MK pouches.

I've been trying to fix an MK1 to the front of my 9TS for the longest time and my results have been mixed at best. If there's a secret button here that I am missing, somebody please enlighten me. 

Side note, does anyone know what these detachable tags are for?

They don't seem necessary to affix the module. I use the vertical tags to slot the module on, then the loops to attach the corners. These tags just seem to get in the way, I remove them before using the module. 

Those are belt loops

I'll post up some pics as soon as I can - prob next week now as we are packing for our trip.

It was certainly a great find and in 'as new' condition, I'll be layering up with a Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer down underneath - should then be ready for anything the elements throw at me.

wearing P15-S too ! 

"Need some advice...
Say -20 to -30 degrees?"

IMO, Gore-tex shells are for shoulder seasons or Vancouver winters, not Calgary winters. I very much agree that you would want a down piece like that Herno Laminar (designed by the ACR team). The Wings & Horns x Canada Goose parka would also be appropriate. I think you're missing the functionality of an Acronym shell if you're trying to layer up to meet -30 Celsius temperature, or you have the core temperature of a polar bear. Schoeller pants, however, are great in the snow. Personally, I would still layer a merino base layer underneath, but I get cold.

Edited by Loos Threads

"Need some advice...

Say -20 to -30 degrees?"

IMO, Gore-tex shells are for shoulder seasons or Vancouver winters, not Calgary winters. I very much agree that you would want a down piece like that Herno Laminar (designed by the ACR team). The Wings & Horns x Canada Goose parka would also be appropriate. I think you're missing the functionality of an Acronym shell if you're trying to layer up to meet -30 Celsius temperature, or you have the core temperature of a polar bear. Schoeller pants, however, are great in the snow. Personally, I would still layer a merino base layer underneath, but I get cold.

I highly recommend the Wings + Horns x Canada Goose parka... although good luck trying to find one. Especially if you're looking for one in black! Size wise, I'm usally an M with ACR and the above W+H x CG Jacket was perfect in size M. I wasn't a big fan of the other colour, Olive which really was more of a rust brown.

Have you thought about Arcteryx Veillance? or Stone Island? And if you are in Alberta, you should probably make a trip to Haven. They have a shop in Edmonton and should have all of the above brands + more that have been mentioned here in this forum.

Things may have changed since, but there wasn't a stitch of Acronym on the shelves at Haven Edmonton when I was there in December 2012.  Plenty of Stone Island and Stone Island Shadow project, though, and lots of other interesting stuff to look at.

As for the Acronym shell vs Calgary winter question, I'd only wear a hardshell + merino (+ neck gaiter + earmuffs + realy good mittens or gloves) for extended, fast urban hiking, and I'd want my head examined if I chose to do that in Alberta's winter weather.  For the normal in-and-out, a single overlayer in the way of a long, poofy, insulated snorkel parka would be best, and in fact is what the locals seemed to prefer when I was in Edmonton.  Nice excuse for a Buzz Rickson N-3 or N-3B, maybe.  Go the Full Kenny, and blend in.

Yep, it's true.

So had I. But I solved it within special dye for clothes http://www.simplicol.de/ - it's the best paint ever used. Epic become like a new or better than new!

Going back to this... I've recently picked up an olive Epic jacket (E-J23) that's starting to fade slightly in a few places and according to the previous owner has never been washed. Looking at the Simplicol site, it looks like the colour restore product only does black and blue. Does anyone have suggestions for freshening up Epic? It could definitely do with a wash but I'm hesitant in case it makes the fading worse.

Any suggestions gratefully received! 

Going back to this... I've recently picked up an olive Epic jacket (E-J23) that's starting to fade slightly in a few places and according to the previous owner has never been washed. Looking at the Simplicol site, it looks like the colour restore product only does black and blue. Does anyone have suggestions for freshening up Epic? It could definitely do with a wash but I'm hesitant in case it makes the fading worse.

Any suggestions gratefully received! 

i'd say that due to the silicon encapsulation, epic is unlikely to absorb dye well. at any rate it would mess with the water repellency.

Edited by Inkinsurgent

i'd say that due to the silicon encapsulation, epic is unlikely to absorb dye well. at any rate it would mess with the water repellency.

If it's been washed enough to fade then I'm pretty sure the silicon encapsulation is all gone. Neither pair of P9-Es I own are anywhere near water repellent now.

Epic's water repellency isn't supposed to wash out. I feel deceived.

Only Ventile's water repellency doesn't wash out. Everything else, including Gore-tex, needs to be occasionally cleaned with a tech wash to maintain/restore the water repellency.