Acronym.

Westbrook

Quick questions for people familiar with Stotz:

Does it retain water resistance over time?

If no, how do you reactivate it?

Does washing it fade the colours?

And finally, how do you keep Stotz pants 'fresh' without washing?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Syphon,

Stotz would to retain water resistance over time, since this is mostly a result of the long staple cotton itself. The idea is that the cotton swells up and locks out water coming through. The fabric itself gets wet as a result of course, but water doesn't stream through.

Also, it dries pretty quickly.

On top of this, some water repellant coating (DWR) is applied. This basically causes water to roll off, at least initially. 

The coating should, according to the label, be reapplied after 5 washes. Not sure where you get it, but then I haven't looked.

I've been wearing my P9S for almost year before sending them off to the dry cleaner. I just hang them to air out every time and that seems to be enough. No odor issues. YMMV.

As for fading, the initial wash seems to add a slight sheen to the fabric. Nothing too concerning. Like everything, it will fade but much less so than Epic does, at least in my experience.

Seriously, they're awesome pants. Get them, they won't disappoint (assuming they fit for you :) ).

-Thijs.

Hi Syphon,

Stotz would to retain water resistance over time, since this is mostly a result of the long staple cotton itself. The idea is that the cotton swells up and locks out water coming through. The fabric itself gets wet as a result of course, but water doesn't stream through.

Also, it dries pretty quickly.

On top of this, some water repellant coating (DWR) is applied. This basically causes water to roll off, at least initially. 

The coating should, according to the label, be reapplied after 5 washes. Not sure where you get it, but then I haven't looked.

I've been wearing my P9S for almost year before sending them off to the dry cleaner. I just hang them to air out every time and that seems to be enough. No odor issues. YMMV.

As for fading, the initial wash seems to add a slight sheen to the fabric. Nothing too concerning. Like everything, it will fade but much less so than Epic does, at least in my experience.

Seriously, they're awesome pants. Get them, they won't disappoint (assuming they fit for you :) ).

-Thijs.

Thanks for the info Tao, Stotz definitely sounds like a fine fabric. The only decision left really is P9 or P10. I'm leaning towards P10 because the P9 is a pretty regular look, and I could get a similar looking pant elsewhere. 

Also I'm undecided between the 3A-1 and the 3A-3TS. That might come down to price at the end of the day. 

Thanks for the info Tao, Stotz definitely sounds like a fine fabric. The only decision left really is P9 or P10. I'm leaning towards P10 because the P9 is a pretty regular look, and I could get a similar looking pant elsewhere. 

Also I'm undecided between the 3A-1 and the 3A-3TS. That might come down to price at the end of the day. 

I own both. Look wise, the P9 might seem "regular" but functionally it's very different from "regular" pants. When I switch to "regular" pants again, I always notice the additional resistance at the knee, because other pants aren't articulated. Also, the phone pocket may seems like a small detail but I hate not having it on other pants.

The P10 shares a lot of these features with the P9 of course. Ask yourself what kind of shoes you wear though and how you like the pant to fall on that. The P10 will fit on the inside of high boots (like Visvim 7Holes or Virgils or Stone Island/Diemme boots). With low tops it'll stop short so you see the entire shoe with no drape (at least in my case). The P9 works well with sneakers/trainers but not so well with dressier shoes (IMHO) because of the looser fit. Mind you it can be done at pinch but it's not my favorite look. This is all just my preference and yours might be different. Still, how it pairs with shoes is an important part of the choice for me between wearing the one vs. the other.

That video (;゚д゚) ・・・  (;゚д゚) ・・・  (;゚д゚) ・・・ 

J38-S looks nice. Everything does. 

I love that the 38-S has Interops as well. Just nice addition. I'm sceptical of the sleeve though. Still not sure what to make of that patch.

I own both. Look wise, the P9 might seem "regular" but functionally it's very different from "regular" pants. When I switch to "regular" pants again, I always notice the additional resistance at the knee, because other pants aren't articulated. Also, the phone pocket may seems like a small detail but I hate not having it on other pants.

The P10 shares a lot of these features with the P9 of course. Ask yourself what kind of shoes you wear though and how you like the pant to fall on that. The P10 will fit on the inside of high boots (like Visvim 7Holes or Virgils or Stone Island/Diemme boots). With low tops it'll stop short so you see the entire shoe with no drape (at least in my case). The P9 works well with sneakers/trainers but not so well with dressier shoes (IMHO) because of the looser fit. Mind you it can be done at pinch but it's not my favorite look. This is all just my preference and yours might be different. Still, how it pairs with shoes is an important part of the choice for me between wearing the one vs. the other.

Unfortunately for me, the phone pocket is useless. I'm left handed, and my phone always goes in my left pocket. If I try to grab it with my right I'll drop it (I own another set of pants with the same type of phone pocket, luckily on those it's on both sides). I don't own any high boots, just a few sneakers and VFFs (and a low-top boot), so the P10 would look fine. I like the look of it with a trainer. 

^ The sleeve patch on the J38-S reminds me of recent SISP. 

Does anyone know what the purpose of the sleeve sheath is on the J1A-S and J38-S? 

I'm used to looking at each element on an ACRNM design and seeing that it has some purpose for being there; nothing superfluous. 

shit. to be honest thats bad news to me. because now i have to have it haha.

So, the J32-GT and J36-GT are almost the same price, but the 36 has interops and the front pocket. What makes you want the J32 over the 36? The fast hood, perhaps?

J32-GT also has the escape zip if I am not mistaken. Eyeing up the J32-GT too.

It does. I have a J32 inbound, and I must admit the Escape Zip helped make the sale, in a small way. (I like useful gimmicks.). The non helmet-sized technical hood was a larger point in its favor- I use hoods a lot in my locale's filthy autumn and winter weather, but the ones on my present technical outdoor coats are all far too big for street use over a baseball hat, being sized for rock-climbing brainbuckets.

Will be glad to provide photos and impressions/detailed measurements once it lands, whether it fits or not.

With the abolishment of standard season collections does anyone know how the forthcoming items will be dropping?

Didn't realiser that.

Was there an offical announcement?  - Shame if so as alway a high point ot look forward to every 6 months or so.

Please let this NOT be the case...

What makes you want the J32 over the 36?

to me the front pocket looks like a fetus. i'll leave this to the hardcore acronym fans.

hopefully my size will still be acquirable as i have to wait a few weeks before i have enough funds.

any noticeable difference between the old E-J1A from ss08 and the new J1A-S? Except The old being made in Epic cotton and the new in Shoeller, of course.

the new is in schoeller? 

i read that it is a lighter (than p9s) stotz cotton, 5620 but it is maybe not true

if it is J1A-S, s is for stotz and not ss or ch for softshell/schoeller

the new is in schoeller? 

i read that it is a lighter (than p9s) stotz cotton, 5620 but it is maybe not true

if it is J1A-S, s is for stotz and not ss or ch for softshell/schoeller

you're right I was a bit to quick there, Stotz yes.

Edited by philipo

So, the J32-GT and J36-GT are almost the same price, but the 36 has interops and the front pocket. What makes you want the J32 over the 36? The fast hood, perhaps?
So, the J32-GT and J36-GT are almost the same price, but the 36 has interops and the front pocket. What makes you want the J32 over the 36? The fast hood, perhaps?[/quote

I'm with you.... J32 is super-clean, never been a fan of the front pouch pocket. 38lp is my fav though .... Was hoping for more if a blazer selection ds-j5 or j29ish....all the jackets seem to fit the same category