SOMET Denim

snugglepony

lucky for you, i've got olas, somets and apc NS...

the rise on the somets is not nearly as low as the ola, and probably a few cm lower than the NS. i'd say "mid-low rise."

don't wear nikes or cr8tive, so i can't speak to them, but my somets fit over my vans and my chucks and nearly fit over my new balances.

Definitely a lower rise than the NS- about the same as the Ola(maybe not quite as low), although my Olas are a much lighter weight denim. You would think that this would be more comfortable, but not so. The denim on the Somets is much heavier and much more rigid, but they are no less comfy. My boys have had zero trouble residing in them.

They still are my favorites.

banana republic on sale for like $15, brass buckle.

these are really great jeans, i honestly don't know how they make these slimmer....

if you read the description on the own-magazine store site, it mentions "Slim fit features two darts weaved together." looking at the close-up pictures, you can kinda see the dart on the thigh...

SMT006_L4.jpg

kinda a questionable design decision IMO, but i guess it answers your question...

it's a raw black jean -- it's going to take substantially longer to fade than an indigo dye.

that said, i was stepping all over the heel on one leg last week, and when i hung them up for the night, i noticed that they'd faded pretty substantially where i'd been stepping on them.

remember, the guy that produced those insane fades on those black samurais wore them every day for eighteen months before he washed them... and he probably wore them much harder than we are...

ok ok, i'm going to bite the bullet and get the somet 14.5oz basic straight jeans.

differing opinions as to sizing abound here, as usual, can those who already own the basic straight jean please let me know their sizes:

a) normal size in other denim

B) size in somet basic straight

c) size in APC NS, if applicable

also, do you think it is worth asking OWN webstore to hem them for me? i usually take a W30/L32 - but my two pairs of APC (with 36L) i haven't needed to hem, just cuffed slightly.

cheers!

Re: fading of the black somets

I haven't gotten any fading but when I soaked them I remember a black plume billowing out from around them as I lifted them out of the water. I think they'll fade, I hope they'll fade, we'll see. I don't wear my denim hard at all though...

too much damn studying :rolleyes:

Re: fit/size for jpgm

A) all other denim 30

B) somet basic straight 30

C) apc 28

Viv-

Mine are the basic straight indigo. They are slim, but not as skinny as my NS orCrate James. More along the line of Slim Jims, but with a shorter rise.

These things look great with more of my wardrobe than any of my other jeans.

Akura-

I have only worn mine 8-10 times and I have noticable abrasions and fading.

Like Snuggs said, black breaks in much more slowly. If you wanted fast break in you should have gotten the indigo. Keep pounding on them and you will see results eventually.

Apu-

You would have to have absolute skeleton legs for the thigh on the basic straight to be too wide. I have skinny-ass legs and these fit great.

ok ok, i'm going to bite the bullet and get the somet 14.5oz basic straight jeans.

differing opinions as to sizing abound here, as usual, can those who already own the basic straight jean please let me know their sizes:

a) normal size in other denim

B) size in somet basic straight

c) size in APC NS, if applicable

also, do you think it is worth asking OWN webstore to hem them for me? i usually take a W30/L32 - but my two pairs of APC (with 36L) i haven't needed to hem, just cuffed slightly.

cheers!

I'm usually a 28 or 29w.

I got my Basic Straights in 29w. I could have done a 28, but Somet thought that that would be too tight. Since I have many very tight jeans this strategy worked out perfectly.

I wear 26w NS.

Have OWN hem them only if they will chainstitch. If they won't, find a good tailor that will.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get a pair of these Somet Slims I think, and my mac can't read Somet's site. Can someone direct me to an address for a brick and mortar store in Tokyo carrying Somet?

Also, does anyone know what the Slims list for in yen; and are these raw or rinsed, and has anyone soaked their Somets to see if they shrink any?