Double Volante

mizanation

^ any more updates? Thanks :-)

Hey man, I was able to get a hold of Kuniyoshi-san today. He is very busy, taking on massive orders from reputable brands abroad Japan.

unfortunately, he is too swamped at this time to take additional online orders. while he would love to take on more work, he feels it would be inappropriate as the turn-around time at this point would take way too long. I'll let you guys know if his situation changes. I'm sad because I wanted to fulfil an old order myself, but I am glad his business is taking off.

^i always wondered if someone could expand upon what work he does for other brands? i know miz mentioned he used to work in the factories (i'm guessing making evisu, etc.) but does he still actively sew for these companies?

while he would love to take on more work, he feels it would be inappropriate as the turn-around time at this point would take way too long.

What if we're such desperate losers that we'd be willing to wait a long time....? :-) or maybe he can up the price to weed out the true junkies from the recreational users? capitalism baby! ha ha

Let's see if in some times ahead, he will have more time or can take some more orders then

I myself can wait

^i always wondered if someone could expand upon what work he does for other brands? i know miz mentioned he used to work in the factories (i'm guessing making evisu, etc.) but does he still actively sew for these companies?

I'm not sure. He mentioned to me he's currently doing work for SDA, and that much is reflected on his blog.

He does still actively take orders from said reputable brands.

What if we're such desperate losers that we'd be willing to wait a long time....? :-) or maybe he can up the price to weed out the true junkies from the recreational users? capitalism baby! ha ha

Haha, I don't know. It may be his polite way of saying thank you but no thank you... but on a real note, you can imagine the trouble of him fulfilling an online order as opposed to a local / nation-wide order over the phone etc.

doitsujin, do you live on Okinawa? I have a friend in japan, with Japanese speaking friends who are willing to make a local order and ship them to me upon completion. Do you think kuniyoshi-san would be willing to make a custom pair in the time around his big orders? And if the concern is time, I really don't care when they get done. I just want a pair of jeans made to my specs and size, haha

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be quite here for the moment

doitsujin, do you live on Okinawa? I have a friend in japan, with Japanese speaking friends who are willing to make a local order and ship them to me upon completion. Do you think kuniyoshi-san would be willing to make a custom pair in the time around his big orders? And if the concern is time, I really don't care when they get done. I just want a pair of jeans made to my specs and size, haha

I actually live in North Jersey, I happened to stop by Okinawa for vacation last summer where I got to meet kuniyoshi-san and check out his workshop. I was going to order a pair, but I couldn't figure out a way to make a payment (didn't have enough cash on me in person, /lifebeat) without a middleman and before I knew it I was getting swamped with work/life...

I had a friend who is working in Okinawa about 15 minutes away from the DV workshop.

I'm sure he is taking local orders. Why don't you ask your friend to find out for you? My hunch is that the main obstacle with online orders is 1) payment, and 2) his lack of computer/internet skills to take on more orders.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I decided to take a trip out to the Double Volante shop today thinking I could go off the Japanese Google map, but it turned out to be a disaster. According to the map, I had to make a right three streets past a KFC. Well, turns out all the lights (which usually indicate a major street in the U.S.) lead you to a tiny alley of sorts. I ended up making a right down a "real" street and ended up getting lost for over an hour. I ended up in Naha where I decided to hit up the outlet that had Beams and Levi's - holy sh*t! Not even a weave of selvedge!!!! WTF! All-in-all a bad denim day.

Anyone know good directions to Double Volante?

Cheers!

When I finally came across it, I was expecting to just snap a photo of the shop from the outside, but there he was sewing away. He noticed me hovering and welcomed me in. Next you know I'm trying on a size 30 then a 28. It was like a consultation where he showed me all the options and past customer photo examples. I think I was being urged to let my imagination go wild, but I opted for something fairly plane - for plain now - and I told his interpreter (very, very kind lady) that I'm definitely coming back for more. I left and then something crossed my mind. I drove back and asked him about inseam. Turns out final inseam measurements are taken when I pick 'em up.

I'm now finally over the 25oz IH 666's I missed out on yesterday for $240. You snooze, you lose ... but not in this case. You snooze, you lose, then get custom-made jeans.

Edited by marineabilly

Really whish I could wear mine comfortably and more often. Might be up for sale. PM me for details. :unsure:

To anyone who´s thinking about buying DV´s, I say DO IT! They are going to be your best buy regarding denim.

To reflect on pricing, I paid approx $375 shipped for my pair a couple of years ago. I did go through Miz here on SuFu and he was extremely helpful and understanding. Helped alot with translating my requests and questions to K-san.

Anyone who gets a pair, post pics!