ande whall contest thread

aleopold

yeah, definitely seem too big. My pair is the exact same size and cut and looks nothing like that. The back pockets are rather large and low for me as well, but your fit in the legs seems off. I agree that a hem would help out immensely

Phil: a really hot soak would pull the top block in a bit. I think if you pulled the back up a little ( higher on your waist) the pockets would hit you a little higher. What's your true inseam length? I might be way off here ( and Ande correct me) but the Caibous have a slight taper to them. They are not a true straight fit or a boot cut. That taper I believe is specific to the inseam length. If you ordered your true inseam length they would fit you quite differently. Again the sanforized vs unsanforized denim questions arise.

Here's some quick and dirty fit pics. Though I'd rather have someone take better pictures of my Ande's I wanted to get some pics up now...I figured alone in an elevator would work (sorry, not going to clean an elevator mirror). These are Mustangs 34x34. I'm probably going to swing by BIG or SE in NYC next week and get these hemmed on my way home for Xmas. Thoughts on hemming?

5e50073a.jpg

1e704a2b.jpg

e468c7d6.jpg

And another showing the yellow tab.

54f5e3e5.jpg

Bad DIY Fit pics - Day 2 - 5th December - First Outing - Post 1st cold soak.

l1100242.jpg

If you saw the white heart, then i have Love for You ;) (Housemates room & Mirror)

Close up(ish)

l1100241.jpg

They are now drying after a very hot soak (14th Dec) and might get tumbled - to reduce the size of the waist and seat a little. Above pictures are with them slightly 'too big'.

I like how they fit regardless, perhaps they'll be even better now after a hot soak!

Thanks

Yeah, it's a tiny single. Here's a pic, albeit a bit older (from Dec 2nd I think) that shows it better. I was thinking about just an inch or inch and a half shorter and going with no cuff.

c99ef999.jpg

I Think this Looks Badass! :)

Maybe a 1"+ cuff if you were wearing Shoes/ Boots but with the Adidas I think the stacking looks Cool.

Only problem is if it causes bunching around the knee and affects the way the hang. And even then only an issue if you don't like it.

Nice Work ( although I am a sucker for jeans and Trainers)

I haven't been up to much recently, been a bit busy at work with the pre-christmas rush but managed to swing past one of my favorite pubs - O'Carrolls, to try one of my favorite local craft brewery's - EPIC, 'takeover' on the taps. I managed to try the new 'Larger' Imperial Pilsner and 'Porta Marillo' Porter (a Tamarillo and Pohutakawa collaboration with Dogfish Head).

Also a shot of the jeans after 2 weeks as they start settle a bit more, got to agree with the others - it's very 'crunchy' and has a nice smooth texture to it, the back pockets are definitely larger than the older models and the front pockets are a bit smaller, but that doesn't bother me as I barely use them, getting a bit humid / muggy for jeans here at the mo so I'm glad that they are a lighter weight.

Putting it out there: I recall someone ( maybe Ande) mentioned something about a t shirt design?

And to answer this question: Yes there is a Competition t-shirt design happening, I've been in dialogue with Ande and we are pretty close but I have been a bit busy to finish it. We should have something in the New Year - here is a wee teaser.....

carrolls.jpg

Oh lovin the T so far.

Throwing it out there, would anyone be interested if Ande did a Heavy weight run? Like 21oz. I only ask because when we first started talking about this contest and the Denim was picked (originally). The denim reminded me of the Denim Naked & Famous used for their BIG collab. It can't be too much of a stretch to assume that the same mill produced the original denim for the contest. Or at least one close by or one that was affiliated. So if it was offered would anyone take is all I'm asking. Ande hasn't said anything and I don't even know if "he" would be interested. I am just a sucker for heavier denim (probably a factor of where I live - Alberta).

I would post a picture of the back seams and bar tack fades but taking my Jeans off at work does not really sit well with MGMT. Anyone else have some developing loveliness? How bout the rest of the contestants checking in? I feel this thread is lacking in enthusiasm. I also might be asking for too much this close to the holidays so I will reserve that last comment for later.

Edited by Noodle36

Is everyone in the contest on SUFU?

No, a handful (maybe 5?) are non sufu-ers that got a pair of the comeback jeans. I'm not even sure if they are aware of contest aspect, though Ande said he would fill them in if they were interested in joining

Hey guys, hope all is well and everyone has got some fun times planned for chrimbo.

Yeah most guys are on Sufu, I mentioned to the non sufuer buyers they can sign up if they wanted to compete or send me their photos.

The t-shirt design is looking cool, sorry Chris keep meaning to e-mail you.

Hey noodle. I do get asked about different denims and weights etc. I always pick the denim on feel and weave, not so much weight. I like denim that is crispy with an interesting weave. A lot of the time the listed weight lacks any real description of the denim. I have a sample of a 21oz denim that feels soft and "floppy" with a very uniform weave and zero slub, so it's a denim I wouldn't use personally. It's certainly thicker and heavier, but feels lighter than the 13.5oz due to it's looser weave.

Just before the quake I was working on Special Roll versions, so I will get that started again next year. There are some amazing denims available. There is one I have taken a fancy to, most probably the first special roll, it's a natural indigo, very cool weave and not super dark...it looks amazing. There is a really dark green denim that fades to a brighter shade of jade green, thats fairly interesting too. Also loads and loads of other great indigo's too. When I got the new swatch cards it was like a kid at a candy store, a lot of the same denims but I hadn't seen them for months.

Oh lovin the T so far.

Throwing it out there, would anyone be interested if Ande did a Heavy weight run? Like 21oz. I only ask because when we first started talking about this contest and the Denim was picked (originally). The denim reminded me of the Denim Naked & Famous used for their BIG collab. It can't be too much of a stretch to assume that the same mill produced the original denim for the contest. Or at least one close by or one that was affiliated. So if it was offered would anyone take is all I'm asking. Ande hasn't said anything and I don't even know if "he" would be interested. I am just a sucker for heavier denim (probably a factor of where I live - Alberta).

Edited by andewhall

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

went for a bike ride this morning. everything was slick. my foot slipped as i was taking these pictures and i almost ate it. that's the last time i try that.

stopped in to my local coffee shop to do some work. the breakfast blend was spot on... and someone made a tiramisu cake. i couldn't resist. delicious.

photo.jpg

the zimbabwe denim is starting to soften up quite a bit-- lovely, lovely fabric. they're also starting to staaaank. i'm gonna wear these home for xmas and then see about washing them for the first time.

sleep in em? psh. my boys need freedom.

Edited by grooveholmes

For four days a week I have to wear a suit or something dressy to work. So to make up the time I can't wear jeans, I put them on at night and don't take them off until I head out the door again. I'm home now for the holidays so its been jeans 24 hrs a day. My dad used to tell me that his father had a saying "you don't take your long johns off until they fall off, that's when you get a new pair!" I figure if I put in half that much effort into these, I will have a pretty good looking pair.

Here's a little photo update of the past 2 days:

Left NYC for North Carolina yesterday to visit my folks for Christmas. Had a nice view of Manhattan from the plane

HA7rB.jpg

Definitely in North Carolina...

SDrE1.jpg

Essential stop on the way home from the airport

0uUQZ.jpg

Last year when I was home we got a little snow storm so I went sledding with my cousins. Unfortunately that adventure turned out to be the end of my first pair of Ande's. I ripped them pretty good in a sledding crash. I left them at my folks' house, but never took final pics, so I snapped a few shots of them yesterday. Grifter 001's.

jwHWm.jpg

The denim actually reminds me a lot of Warehouse

cX7oK.jpg

6jj8x.jpg

wCXz2.jpg

Post thumbs, pre wings arcuates

U9qrM.jpg

Crappy mirror-shot rear fit pic of the contest jeans

Bq9mq.jpg

Another Southern necessity: boiled peanuts

PnikI.jpg

Edited by robotbox