ande whall contest thread

aleopold

If Ande did just give a design and said hey I wanna do a contest heres the jeans I was thinking what do you think. Then boom every person knows exactly what they're getting into and committing to.

There were to many options, and Ande has asked for our input on some stuff whether it's Gunna make the cut or not is another thing but still.

As I said earlier when you try to start a contest with a pair of jeans that never existed and you're asking for peoples opinions and input on a message board you have to expect all of this. And no person is wrong or a bad person for dropping out. Who really would actually pay this amount of money for a pair of jeans they don't really even Want.

Let's say the only cut being offered was a full straight leg cut too, are people rude for dropping out over that too? Naw bc some people just don't like that style of jean. Why have a bunch of fakers in the contest just getting them to get them and wasting Andes time of making them and everyone elses time who are dedicated to this cOntest. Not to mention if the 30 does get filled and a diehard doesn't make it into the cut bc 2-3 people are grabbing this for hype purposes.

It really only makes sense and will make the contest better to let people drop out re-fill the spots and go from there.

If Ande did just give a design and said hey I wanna do a contest heres the jeans I was thinking what do you think. Then boom every person knows exactly what they're getting into and committing to.

There were to many options, and Ande has asked for our input on some stuff whether it's Gunna make the cut or not is another thing but still.

As I said earlier when you try to start a contest with a pair of jeans that never existed and you're asking for peoples opinions and input on a message board you have to expect all of this. And no person is wrong or a bad person for dropping out. Who really would actually pay this amount of money for a pair of jeans they don't really even Want.

Let's say the only cut being offered was a full straight leg cut too, are people rude for dropping out over that too? Naw bc some people just don't like that style of jean. Why have a bunch of fakers in the contest just getting them to get them and wasting Andes time of making them and everyone elses time who are dedicated to this cOntest. Not to mention if the 30 does get filled and a diehard doesn't make it into the cut bc 2-3 people are grabbing this for hype purposes.

It really only makes sense and will make the contest better to let people drop out re-fill the spots and go from there.

Other than the denim samples Ande posted...

This is the post of the thread.

I"m feeling for poly, and the people who are trying to get this contest together

If you want this to be a great contest, you have to show commitment to Ande - it's not just about what he can do for you.

yeah, damn, so much hate for a dissenting opinion. Guess rodeo just isn't my thing? Doesn't mean I hate Ande's work or something, his denim thread is probably my favorite to read and follow and I'll be getting a pair of his denim regardless of if its via this contest or not. That all being said, I don't feel an obligation to sit quietly, spend my money, and then end up with a pair I'm really just not fond of and might not wear. Funds just ain't that free flowin'.

I think getting all stuck on a patch design is kind of ridiculous. If you want in for the jeans, but can't deal with the patch Ande picked it really wouldn't be too much work to remove it and get one put on that you like. I do believe someone did this with a pair of the self edge collabs that are in the heavyweight contest.

Maybe it would've been best to have the jeans first, then ask for commitments, but I wasn't really thinking that far ahead when I brought up the idea of a contest. Once people said they were interested, it just snowballed from there...

It sucks people are dropping out, but I agree that it would make for a bad contest if we had people that weren't into the jeans participating.

What really bothers me about people dropping out is that I specifically asked in the PM's I sent out whether people were willing to commit without knowing the details. I'm not trying to call anyone out here, but everyone must've known there was a possibility that there'd be something about the jeans that wasn't quite to their tastes. If you had faith in Ande to create a badass, unique pair of jeans, then you were right to commit. If you had an exact idea of what you wanted from this, it was probably best to hold off.

But it's cool because in the end, everyone will be happy. Those who just want a normal pair of Ande's with unique denim will be able to pick up a kick-ass "Special Roll" pair and be completely satisfied. And those who want something truly unique, experimental, and show off Ande's skill will get a kick-ass contest pair. It's a win-win situation.

Unfortunately last night my computer was sent to live on a farm upstate where it can run around and play with other computers. Once I get fully operational again, I'll make note of who is dropping out and who is committed. We don't have to worry about not reaching 30, as I'm fairly sure we have a good backlog of people interested.

Also, I HOPE no one is in this who plans to be rotating five pairs. Maybe that's unrealistic, but god I hope thats not the case. These jeans are going to be fucking amazing, and deserve to be worn hard.

I think there's too much hyperbole and overreaction here. No one's calling anyone out, just drawing attention to the fact that commitment is necessary for this contest. Not a question of your appreciation or fandom. Ande and the organizers are looking for committed people, and some people will blindly accept that call regardless of design. If it doesn't meet your preferences, that's your opinion. No big.

I respect people for backing out early if something is not to their liking-- there is plenty of time to fill out spaces. It's the same idea behind Air Jordans: people are committed to buy every year regardless of design and/price, and some people will buy only those they like. The committed folk are committed, so no loss there, and there are more people who will commit once there is more info. I like that it was an open invitation, but the frustrating bits to that approach are blatently obvious.

I think having a contest thread at this stage was very pre-mature, IMO. There just wasn't a lot of anything to talk about, so people started throwing ideas out there, which was very disorganized. The only redeeming contributions have been Ande's teasers and "the list". The discussions are frustrating, yes, but things will get settled once Ande knows exactly where he's going with this. The denim and patch are a good start.

robotbox - as long as we, in the end, have 30 contestants, thats all I care about.

Ande, as mentioned, has dedicated his time and has now secured the resources for 30 pairs.

I do remember in your email, you stating that we needed to commit on the premise that we would let Ande create a special pair for the contest. point blank period. Whatever he's inspired to put together, not how can we each offer our favorite detail to the overall end-product. If you say we're good, cool, we good.

Now lets just wait for the rest of the specs. : )

Hey guys. Patchgate pt.2. I may have some old leather patches in storage somewhere, not sure how many...will dig around. I could send out a separate patch with the jeans depending on how many there are. May be best to just go with hidden rivets or x-bar tacks, all the other details are hidden...so with dark blue wings it will be a fairly regular low key looking jean.

hey Ande, thank you for doing this contest!

I look forward to hopefully participating, and

these will be my first jeans of yours.

I was wondering when all the details will be

sorted out if you dont mind me asking.

Not trying to rush or any thing just mad curious :D

And there we go. We have the designer willing to compromise on the patches. Ande, you're awesome man! I don't know if that's necessary, but I'm not gonna argue either! I dig the idea of x stitch/hidden rivet., but since we have a bunch of people that don't want to just let the boy cook(man create lol), he's going to change it to accommodate some of you. I hope y'all are happy now and we can relax.

Hey guys. Patchgate pt.2. I may have some old leather patches in storage somewhere, not sure how many...will dig around. I could send out a separate patch with the jeans depending on how many there are. May be best to just go with hidden rivets or x-bar tacks, all the other details are hidden...so with dark blue wings it will be a fairly regular low key looking jean.

What a baller. Thanks Ande!!!

I'm sure this will please those on the fence. Personally I can't wait for the hair-on-hide. And x-bar tacks would be killer!

I do really like the x stitching I think thats a nice touch

If it were the case that we can get an interchangeable patch I'd be back in for sure bc I am stoked on all the other details. But before anything actually happens I'm just gunn a say I'll wait for the further and final details and if there is a spot open. I don't feel right holding a committed spot.

Hi Guys. Yeah I was just talking with the Leather man. The brand can be used on any leather once it's cast etc, may trial some regular heavy russet as well...we'll see how it comes out. I am still keen on the hair on hide, they always look amazing in my book.

Hi Guys. Yeah I was just talking with the Leather man. The brand can be used on any leather once it's cast etc, may trial some regular heavy russet as well...we'll see how it comes out. I am still keen on the hair on hide, they always look amazing in my book.

:) very nice

Ande - wow, man very thoughtful of you to, essentially and potentially, allow us to pick our leather patch choice.

I'm open to whatever you choose, though. If you end up going only hair-on-hide, I'll take it. You're the artisan. People have almost forgot this fact..

If I actually have a choice(!), which I don't think is absolutely necessary, I'm definitely going to go with a leather patch.

Either way, ill be greatly appreciative.

Pretty damn excited to see this come to fruition.

I apologize to ande and robotbox for so much grief....I don't have Internet at the place I stay at in NYC so it's a bit hard to keep up. I kind of think people have always wante ande whall to be a custom shop which he isnt. Believe me people , I have 2 pairs of grifters. Ande Whall jeans and his craft have only gotten better. Instead of us all bickering, let's all put some faith in him. Now that we have sorted out the denim, let's give him some time to work out further details on his own. Well all get something special guys, he's never let me down.

Question unrelated to patch drama: do you guys plan on soaking the jeans before first wear?

I'm on the cusp between a 32 and a 34 and I'm worried if I go 32 that once I do my first wash, the jeans will be too short. If they stayed 32 after a soak/wash then it would be perfect and I would leave them unsoaked.

I'm probably going to go 34, which would make me want to soak to get the ~1" shrinkage out of the way right off the bat, then I'll cuff the last inch.

Well the denim is going to be sanforized I believe, so any shrinkage should be VERY minimal. I'm just going true to size. Any slight shrinkage will stretch back out.

As far as soaking prior to wearing, I really prefer/purchase non-sanforized denim so I always soak first. Call me crazy but, even though these are sanforized, I'm still going to soak these prior to wearing them. I usually throw them on a couple hours into the drying process. I've always felt the denim forms a bit better, even with pre-shrunk denim.

I hear you. Don't forget though, on the waist, any shrinkage you get will stretch back out after a good couple weeks.

I have to look at Ande's sizing recommendations again but I'm pretty sure he would advise to buy your true waist size.

Ime personally, I'm not worried about the minimal waist shrinking as I know it will all come back after 15-20 wears or so.

if you are talking about inseam length. I say get 34 and soak them.I always soak my sanforized denim.... and there a several good reasons to soak... with that said you'll find that most hardcore denim shops in japan will ONLY sell soaked/one -washed denim...

I just don't see it shrinking 2 inches on the inseam with sanforized. That's about what you would get with non-sanforized denim.

I normally go 34 inseam on non-san and usually end up with a 32 inseam.

I'm on my phone right now but willl check Ande's website on my home computer. Does it state we'll get 5% shrinkage on the inseam?

Definitely will run that past him.

If you're worried about it, id always opt to go longer, as a hem could fix any length issues, post-soak. With a too short end-product you're pretty much screwed.

Dawei69 - I rarely purchase sanforized denim so I'm interested to know the benefits of soaking em? I mean, I'm going to anyway, for fit purposes but what else should I expect?

Also, you said most hardcore denim spots in Japan only sell one-wash versions. I know when I purchased Sugar Cane Okinawas they came one-washed, when I actually would have preferred to cop them raw state. Why do spots in Japan prefer to sell them one-washed? Is it simply for sizing issues?