Official Alden Shoes & Boots Thread

epauletshop

What's the internship? I'd go with shoes and not boots for most office jobs especially if you're trying to impress...

You'r right. It's just a basic office type job.

Should I pick a black dress shoes or other color like burgundy and whisky are fine? Is there a specific last or type I may want to pick?

As I mentioned, I only have navy suits. What a shame......

Story time:

On a recent trip to London I spotted a pair of black plain toe bluchers in a well-frequented second hand store on Brick Lane. I wasn't really looking for any black shoes and they didn't really stand out too much sitting to the side on a shelf next to good amount of others but I guess that famous toe shape I've seen countless times online must have called out to me. So I picked them up and was pleasantly surprised when I saw the Alden name and logo on the inside. The leather needed a bit of care but all in all, the shoe was in pretty good shape. I tried them on and, though slightly on the small side, they fit me well and were comfortable. But I notice that no price is indicated and looking around I see some fairly cheap looking shoes selling for a good 50£. So fearing the worst I ask the lady running the store how much these would cost. She looks at them quickly and must not be aware of their value or of the brand as she tells me I can buy them for 35£. Done! I felt like I had gotten away with a crime.

What's more, they're shell cordovan.

comparing the alden 403 and 405, is the Horween Chromexcel that much better as compared to the full grain waxhide leather?

Also, am I right to say that the main difference between the 403 and 405 is only the colour tone and the upper sole?

i'd prefer the lighter colour tone of the 405, but prefer the chromexcel of the 403. mmm.

what do you define as better? color and tone? Durability? Chromexcel is just a brand name of pull-up leather, which is common. Horween doesn't have a monopoly on pull-up the way it does shell cordovan. Pull-up is nice for work boots because it's self healing, light scratches fill back in on their own because the hide is stuffed with oil and wax.

what do you define as better? color and tone? Durability? Chromexcel is just a brand name of pull-up leather, which is common. Horween doesn't have a monopoly on pull-up the way it does shell cordovan. Pull-up is nice for work boots because it's self healing, light scratches fill back in on their own because the hide is stuffed with oil and wax.

durability? so I guess the crhomexcel would be better(durability) cos of the pull-up leather and the horween does not have it?

I was wondering that too, do longwings come on anything but the Barrie?

occasionally you can find longwings in aberdeen last

example

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-880/Alden-for-Epaulet-Natural/Detail

Does anyone know, wether alden produces wingtips based on their leydon last? The barrie last is way to wide for me especially in the heel area. But most of the bluchers or wingtips i like seem to be barrie. Leydon fits perfect.

short wings come in lasts other than barrie.

cant think of any off hand since i pay more attention to long wings than short wings, but my short wings that i own are not on the barrie