do my research for me since i am lazy.

haptronic

Wait BIG doesn't sell Sugarcane?

Nope, both Buzz Rickson and Sugar Cane are exclusive to Self Edge stores. Whatever BiG has in stock is old product.

Anyways. Wasn't there also a link that originally inspired the Samurai contest. One between the owner, stock dude, and register dude of a denim shop in Japan. The link showed the three pairs of jeans after a year or so.

Yup, it was the thread originally titled "Denim Experiment" and it was about Flathead...Chicken outlined/translated it here:

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=15192

Nope, both Buzz Rickson and Sugar Cane are exclusive to Self Edge stores. Whatever BiG has in stock is old product.

Wait what about The Craft?

Wait what about The Craft?

They haven't had a SC account in over a year, all their product is over three seasons old.

I remember looking at the harajuku shopping map maybe as early as 2000 (I lose track of time...). I started travelling to Tokyo in 1998 but I don't remember when I discovered superfuture. Back then the guides were indispensible and the little write ups for the shops were funny.

In those days I didn't know what a honeycomb or whisker was and I was all about denime and evisu.

Kiya, I saw you in Omotesando last May, I wasn't stalking you though.

Carl Chiara's 13 year '47's. These blew my mind, made me look at repairs in a different light. I'm sure you all know he's Design Director for Levi's (As well as part owner of Unionmade Goods). I think a lot of the newly charged focus towards Levi's and workwear, at least from the mainstream, has a lot to do with his role at Levi's the past couple years.

CarlChiara-thumb-440x601-10719.jpg

what does that have to do with superfuture?

I think it has everything to do with SuFu. '47's were a huge mark in denim history, the sugarcane '47's have been mentioned several times in this thread, clearly inspired by the originals. OP's timeline doesn't start at the beginning of superfuture, it starts with some history of denim and also highlights the importance of Levi's '47's. And would you deny what Chiara has done to bring Selvage and workwear to the mainstream over the past few years, no doubt bringing numerous new users to Superfuture who want to know more about serious denim?

I think SUFU, SE and BiG had more to do with bringing people in the US to "serious" denim. People in Asia were already rocking repro's and vintage. No disrespect, but I remember that picture, but didn't know (or cared) who he was.

More than anything, Sufu had a lot more to do with clueing people in about denim. For me it was more like walking into BiG, traveling to Japan and PaulT's book.

^I'd have to agree...that picture was from like what, 2008? By that time (even if it was earlier, 2007 etc.) the sufu denim community was already established, had a few contests and tours and the big gun OG's (ringring!) were already disappearing...I remember that picture as well, and recall many not thinking too much of it, some even disregarding it outright...

Guest redchris
back in 03 very few places sold selvedge. there was no superdenim. i only found superfuture because i was wandering around ueno and missed out on japanese levi's which were mentioned once on superfuture back then.

simpler times.

history preservation was the first to sell sugarcane's in the states i believe. I still think the other guys have to go through them?

Eh? in '03 there were about a dozen shops just in Manchester selling Selvedge ; Edwin (inc. Leepro) , Evisu, Groundalls and most commonly LVC.

Feck, between 2002 - 2004 TK Maxx had a shit load of Valencia St LVC. Selling at £24.99 !

sufu also helped create (or outright just created) brands from people who were hobbyists/interested in things - i'm thinking ToJ, ROY, Tender, Tanner Goods (and Woodlands), Corter and many more.