The death (dying) of the JRPG? a superfuture exclusive discussion topicu.. ? ?

100%

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now that i've dl'ed a psx emulator, i will be busy with some squaresoft titles i never got to play/finish:

xenogears, vagrant story, saga frontier, parasite eve

etc...

xenogears is one of my favorites and its also one of the reasons that i love robots.

saga frontier - holy shit thats a blast from the past. T260G, blue/rouge, red and all that weirdass mystic lore shit with mermaids and asura blade was tight. I think they made a sequel or something to it, but never played it.

one of the solution would be to play good snes and psx rpgs you've never played or never finished.

i recently installed a psx emulator on my phone and realised that while i really was into rpgs when i was younger and played a lot of them, there are a lot that i still could play (if i had time and will). most of the more or less obscure japanese rpgs probably got translated too by now.

i don't think the game industry really sees a profit in those kind of games anymore though some good ones pops in once in a while (in a way this is good because less frustrating of all the rpgs you still have to play anyway). i'd say this is a general trend in media like that a part of the mainstream want quick instant fun or so think the industry that distillate the content, and games like the psx final fantasy isn't really about that.

anyway, brb, playing Grandia :D

snes rpgs definitely look less dated that psx ones. for a severe underdog try rudra no hihou. made by heyday squaresoft but never brought to the US, although a fan translation patch fixes that. fucking epic 3-way storyline (you play as 3 main characters separately but concurrently), brilliant engine that looks like an expanded version of ff6 and a brilliant soundtrack. i actually haven't finished it... looks like a replay is due.

• 1 month later...