Recommend a good tailor in NYC.

MikeN

Weird question... has anyone every had a tailor taper a pair of straight leg jeans. I ask because I love the Sorahikos but they are just too full from the knee down. Some people in this thread obivously know some good tailors.. think they could pull this off?

Initially, I found that Sorahikos have too wide leg openning. After wearing them for a while i just get used to it. If i were you i wouldn't do any alteration. So that you'll have an excuse to buy a new pair of jeans.

Keep telling my self i have ENOUGH jeans.

• 2 months later...

just an update...I took some jeans to 45rpm in Soho last weekend - it's $20 a pair for chainstitching, but worth it. They also have 4 different threads -a yellow, and an orange in cotton, and the same in a cotton/poly thread. The yellow cotton matched the vintage Levi's thread the best. One of the pair I had done were previously flat stitched by a local tailor dude, and the wear I was getting was horriffic. It's not just about the chain-stitch, but that the tailor knows to get the stitch nice and tight and close to the edge of the crease -like, it should be no more than 1/16" away. Anyway, there's the update. (though I'd pay $20 just to hang out for awhile in that store)

• 3 months later...
can any tailors hem a pair of jeans and have them ready for me in a day? or possible be able to ship a pair of jeans to me?

mos def. tailor in my nabe, "victor" on spring/elizabeth in nolita,nyc...i.e. he hemmed my raf & obedient sons shorts and new "pain" jeans( best jeans imo rt now!) for way less than it took me to have my haircut and laundry done . if you're in NYC, go to victor. TIMEOUTNY recommended him years back and his rates are considerably/relatively cheap. dunno if he'd be able to ship tho...

Yeah it's possible to get em the same day... Hemming isn't hard to do anyway. Just go to a good tailor and just depends if they have stuff to do before attending to youor jeans. When I bought my APCs i asked one of the people working there where's a good place to get em hemmed, this girl reffered me to G&G tailors some place near the store.

• 7 months later...

This is a pretty old thread but I would rather post here than start my own. I have a pair of selvedge uniqlos and a pair of APC rescues that both have crotch blowouts. The one on the rescue isn't too crazy so i keep doing small repairs on it but my uniqlos I can't fix. I'd like to have both crotch blowouts repaired by a tailor. Do I go to a reg tailor or someone that can stitch up selvedge... is there a difference? thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

just thought i would up this thread to let folks in nyc know that i just had my 0500s brought in about 3/4" from the crotch to the hem, all the way down the inseam.

stanton tailor did a fantastic job of maintaining the integrity of the jeans by steering clear of the selvedge. also matched the thread of the inseam darn near perfectly. not bad i must say....i'm usually pretty nervous about taking jeans to tailors, as opposed to a place like HTC. however, the guy there totally understood what i wanted and why i initially had reservations about having them do it....so i thought about it and brought them back. said he would try to maintain the original inseam as best he could...and did.

i've taken things there before and had good luck as well...however this was my first experience with denim there.

just thought i would up this thread to let folks in nyc know that i just had my 0500s brought in about 3/4" from the crotch to the hem, all the way down the inseam.

stanton tailor did a fantastic job of maintaining the integrity of the jeans by steering clear of the selvedge. also matched the thread of the inseam darn near perfectly. not bad i must say....i'm usually pretty nervous about taking jeans to tailors, as opposed to a place like HTC. however, the guy there totally understood what i wanted and why i initially had reservations about having them do it....so i thought about it and brought them back. said he would try to maintain the original inseam as best he could...and did.

i've taken things there before and had good luck as well...however this was my first experience with denim there.

I'm interested in getting the same exact thing done. I also have a good experience with Staton Tailors. How much did they charge you for the alteration?

• 2 months later...