Competition: Heavyweight Denim Championship Of The World 2011/12

Megatron1505

Echoed, sorry dude, this thread is hard enough for me to keep track of without random pics from people not in the contest.

I'm officially withdrawing my S5000BK's from the comp, and replacing them with my brand new, raw, 18oz Iron Heart Beatle Busters.

My reasons for doing this is that I simply hate wearing the BK's as competition jeans, they're great jeans, but I just don't want to wear them often enough to make them valid for competition.

I will be wearing the BB's for 4 solid months from now, to get them to the same wear time as my S5000VX, from then on for the remainder of the comp I will rotate monthly until the end. I will also observe the exact same wash pattern with the BB's as I have with the Sams, making for a mini comp of Samurai Vs Iron Heart on my own legs. I am calling this.....

The Duel Of The Iron Samurai

Purely for my own amusement.

Pics of my BB's post soak....

fb934001.jpg

89c12c4c.jpg

786bc0b0.jpg

I actually sized up from my regular size on these, as I like an anti fit look, and cannot do with any form of ball hugging jeans.

After living with the raw Busters on my legs for a couple of days, here are my thoughts on them in comparison to my Samurai experiences...

Firstly the denim came as a total surprise. The only previous IH jeans which I had handled were 634's in SENY, which had a heavy yet incredibly soft feel, like Samurai's after they have been broken in. The denim on the Busters felt thick, course, slubby and stiff in comparison, almost exactly like my S5000VX's when new. They were much heavier than expected, and far rougher in texture than I thought.

On close inspection of the construction I have to say (and I never thought that I would), that the Iron Hearts appear to be better made than my Samurai's. On all my pairs of Samurai which I have owned I have noticed some imperfections, either in cut or stitching. On my S5000BK's the inner seam on the lower right leg is frayed, on my S5000VX the crotch stitching is coming slightly loose, and on my old 710's the leg twist was very, very extreme.

In comparison, the Iron Hearts have uniform stitching, which appears strong on every seam. The denim texture is slubby, but even and genuinely does feel just about bulletproof.

The details, or bells and whistles as some say, goes with the Samurai's. It might be personal taste, but I simply love the Samurai hardware, arcs, and tab. The Busters are very sexy jeans, but the Samurai's (I'm talking about the S5000VX 21oz) are rock stars.

In all fairness, I wont be able to make a genuine comparison for another few months, and I remember being a bit underwhelmed when I first got my 21oz's. The denim still needs to settle on the Busters, and I need them to feel broken in and fully comfortable before I feel full love for them, just like every pair of jeans I've owned. In terms of fit, I am happier with the cut of the Busters from their initial wear than I have been with any Samurai's.

In summary, both jeans are exactly what I expected, but with a few notable surprises. The Samurai's didn't take as long to break in as I thought, and have become soft and comfortable. This is exactly what I expected my initial impression of the Iron Hearts to be, however I have found them to be tough, and more like armour than expected.

Can't wait to see how this comparison evolves.