Competition: Heavyweight Denim Championship Of The World 2011/12

Megatron1505

DFreshLeish is competing, #6, and whilst it might not be wrong to raise the issue of peceived bias I for one do not believe it is an issue for the following reasons....

1) The people asked to judge are experts in denim, brand affiliation aside, who would have nothing to gain from showing bias in this contest. Any jeans that this contest helps to sell are being sold right now, to the wearers not the retailers preference.

2) What was the first point raised by Kiya? He wanted more judges who weren't retailers.

3) Gordon didn't want to judge because of exactly this reaction, so well done for proving our supposed "Samurai" judge correct.

4) Most importantly, the judge list is not complete, we are still awaiting quite a few responses. Having a judging panel in place straight away is hardly a major concern for a 2 year contest is it?

Let's not forget that this is for fun guys, it's not the Olympics or anything. Let's just enjoy eh? And don't forget that this is the third day of a 730 day contest, chill out.

EXACTLY!!! Well said Mega! Lets do this for FUN and nothing else! We do love our jeans right? And we want to ahve fun wearing them. Posting pics of evo and such is a great way to socialize and get response on your pair of jeans.

Yes, Gordon clearly understands the concept of recusing oneself if the circumstances create a conflict of interest. He wasn't wrong for doing it and the contest is better off for it.

You only need to bring retailers into the picture if they are offering some prize as incentive. Don't know about you, but I can afford to buy my own belts and jeans; I'm in it for the glory.

Best possible scenario: entire judge pool is grizzled sufu vets. I'd rather be judged by my peers.

That's all I got.

I for one just look forward to seeing how different brands along with lifestyle differentiate from each other. Thank you Megatron1505 for pushing the deadline to 1st of Feb. I am sure I will have acquired the pbj then and will be able to bring some more variation to this Heavyweight Champs.

Great macros b_F, love the close up detail shots of quality denim.

The front page is fully updated with all current contestants (that I know of) and judges. If I have missed anyone please send me a PM.

Let's not forget that this is for fun guys, it's not the Olympics or anything. Let's just enjoy eh? And don't forget that this is the third day of a 730 day contest, chill out.

There should be a monthly dope test to make sure no one is using fade enhancers.

Regarding judging, there will always be subjectivity in a voted decision. Looking back at other denim contests, there are some runner ups that would have been my pick for the winner.

Bias is another issue. There's no question that the current judging panel is biased. Should sponsorships/prizes been thrown into the mix, it would only further colour the judging. In a recent cross-brand contest, the winner was an affiliated brand to one of the sponsors. Should a pair of IH, for example, be chosen the winner in this contest there would certainly be questions...

I'm all for this:

i also think a poll (like in the mother of all contests) would be nice. this is a contest by the people, without any support of any company or shop- so let the people chose their champion!

Or a fight to the death.

I've contacted Strike Gold, they said they'd subsidize the price of up to 5 pairs of their SG1103EX jean for this contest. That'd be 25% off the retail price, PM me if you're interested and feel free to post this on the first page.

I can only say this so many times before it gets old, even to me.

This is for fun, thats all, shits and giggles. If anyone is looking for something more serious then you're in the wrong place, just a bunch of denim fiends, fiending on some heavy denim, with a little competition for spice.

The judges are who the judges are, and I dont question the integrity of any of them. If anything, Iron Heart wearers are at a dissadvantage, as it is roundly accepted that Samurai jeans fade faster and crisper (cant speak about other brands). That is why fading isn't the whole contest, there is also the endurance aspect (we are talking about heavyweight denim after all).

End of story, and if it is a major issue for anyone you can just PM me to be removed from the list, no hard feelings, no hate, it's your choice to join the comp or leave the comp.

I've contacted Strike Gold, they said they'd subsidize the price of up to 5 pairs of their SG1103EX jean for this contest. That'd be 25% off the retail price, PM me if you're interested and feel free to post this on the first page.

Thats a great offer Kiya, I would love to see a pair of the Strike Golds represented in the competition personally, as I know next to nothing about the brand or their denim. Anyone feeling adventurous in the spirit of variation?

that is a very tempting offer. if i were not saving my pennies for my next tatto session in february i would go for this in a second.

as long there's nothing really to win (besides eternal fame), so nothing to lose for the contestants...there is no reason to discuss if some judges might be biased

Dude u have no idea wht I would do for eternal fame... Tsk tsk

I would like to see a Strike Gold and a Fearless repped, I think it would make for an extremely strong competition line up, although what we already have is beyond what I could have imagined at the start....maybe I'm just being greedy.:)

Just looked at some strike gold denim on selfedge site, they look so incredibly hard wearing!!!

The rivet detail shows a high standard too....