the netherlands :: amsterdam :: general

supersaysme

guys i've been in amsterdam the last couple days with my gf... the city is overcrowded with tourist everywhere u go, almost every Café o eating Joint were overprized + unfriendly service! the Museums are realy nice but way too crowded. the coffeeshops are nice, yet lack of friendliness...

nether the less the City is awesome, maybe u shouldnt visit in April/May, cause its the main tourist season (as i read of)

tenue de nime wasn't overwhelming... there are definitely better denim shops in europe, i.e. DC4 in berlin

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

We are hitting the Netherlands and Belgium in October for one week. We travel by car and we start from Dusseldorf (Germany) which approx. 1 hour away from Maastricht.

We wanted to drive a round through Belgium and Netherland but we are not sure where to start first, so if it was necessary to skip places at the end of the tour.

Any landscapes / places / villages / places / restaurants to stop by? Night stops will be arranged by airbnb or are there better ways?

Any recommendations for beer and fries?

Thank you a lot!

Edited by frankie_four

If I was doing the tour these cities would be on the hit list Antwerpen, Brugge, den Bosch, Tilburg, Arnhem,Leiden, Haarlem Beemster and Zaanse Schans.

Although I am there daily Amsterdam isn't relaxed to visit on 1 day, you'll need a couple. Come back for that.

Brussels and Rotterdam are dreary cities in Autumn, No fun at all. Tilburg is an odd one out here but I included it for it's often overlooked textile museum and as you are asking this on a fashion forum,I had to sneak that one in.

The beemster and zaanse schans are my knack of the woods ,I can give you a nice tour on paper or in person.

LMK if you need more help

As for the beer and fries, shouldn't that be bier und currywurst ??

If I was doing the tour these cities would be on the hit list Antwerpen, Brugge, den Bosch, Tilburg, Arnhem,Leiden, Haarlem Beemster and Zaanse Schans.

Although I am there daily Amsterdam isn't relaxed to visit on 1 day, you'll need a couple. Come back for that.

Brussels and Rotterdam are dreary cities in Autumn, No fun at all. Tilburg is an odd one out here but I included it for it's often overlooked textile museum and as you are asking this on a fashion forum,I had to sneak that one in.

The beemster and zaanse schans are my knack of the woods ,I can give you a nice tour on paper or in person.

LMK if you need more help

As for the beer and fries, shouldn't that be bier und currywurst ??

I would do Antwerpen, Brugge, Den-Bosch, Eindhoven, Utrecht, Haarlem and/or Amsterdam.

Big advantage...everything in the Netherlands is at a reasonable distance so you can choose many cities in a week or less cities but spend more time there. From one side of NL to the other you could literally do it in 3 hours by car.

Edited by shadows

• 1 month later...

I have a 13 hrs stopover in Amsterdam on the 22 (arrive early in the morning), haven't been in quite a while, what should I do with my day? Note that I will probably be walking around with my carry-on, I don't trust plane check-ins.

note: I don't give a fuck about smoking a joint or that kind of shit and I was just in Morocco anyway.

Edited by Fuuma

I've been to Amsterdam a few times this year.  If you are going to hang out in coffee shops you want to do some research before you go.  They are not all the same.  Some are set up to offer you great coffee and atmosphere, some offer pool tables and music, and others have extremely overpriced merchandise.  Visit the Grey Area, Voyagers, or Amnesia for some of the best offerings in the city.  Visit Doors and Resin to chill and relax with a large group of friends.  Remember to drink coffee or soda if you start to feel drowsy.  Most of all, enjoy walking up and down the streets enjoying the architecture, stop in at least one of the museums, and do a canal tour if you have the time.  Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

going to be going next year in april with a couple of mates, we're going for probably 3 or 4 nights, go on friday and return on the monday/sunday. we probably won't be going clubbing or getting any prozzies or anything like that, just in coffee shops and museums and stuff really...

how much do you think i'd need to bring with me? and is it worth getting one of those city cards? also i heard the pre rolled joints are a bit of a rip off and the busiest coffee shops in the touristy areas use pesticides on their weed or something, is that true?

going to be going next year in april with a couple of mates, we're going for probably 3 or 4 nights, go on friday and return on the monday/sunday. we probably won't be going clubbing or getting any prozzies or anything like that, just in coffee shops and museums and stuff really...

how much do you think i'd need to bring with me? and is it worth getting one of those city cards? also i heard the pre rolled joints are a bit of a rip off and the busiest coffee shops in the touristy areas use pesticides on their weed or something, is that true?

NowI don't know how much of a high roller you are but Amsterdam is on par with any major English city.. If weed is your main destination look for the smaller shops. Don't do the bulldog.

Go to the greenhouse if you like a touristy place ... The City card is good and also try and get a OV chipcard (oyster card) with the OV fiets option turned on. With that you can rent a bike from the central station depot and bring it back at night and pay 5 euro rent on it. You probably use the public transport with the same card.

Anything else just ask.

• 4 months later...

Planning to re-visit next month. It's been a few years since I've lived there so I'm pretty gutted to see Trouw gone (RIP), has any alternative spaces taken up the slack since?

Also, any recent additions to the food scene worth checking out?

• 1 month later...