the netherlands :: amsterdam :: general

supersaysme

Shopping you can go to the "nine streets". Lots of small boutiques, theres the "PC hooftstraat" for high-end brands such as Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Fillipa K, Hermes etc.

Kalverstraat and Leidsestraat for the normal and known shops such as H&M and Zara.

NYE in Amsterdam i can recommend Supperclub or Jimmy Woo.

If do not know if you are looking for something specific?

• 5 months later...

i'm going in like a month. i need more info. i printed out the sufu maps. besides the coffee shops, what should i check out?

sorry for being a total nub

i'm going in like a month. i need more info. i printed out the sufu maps. besides the coffee shops, what should i check out?

sorry for being a total nub

the shrooms shops even tho theyre only selling truffles now....

MUSEUMS: FOAM photography/Rijksmuseum (tho it's being renovated atm)/this is free

SHOPPING: Nine streets/episode or zipper for slightly overpriced thrifting and sufu map covers quite a bit

SHOWS: OT301/Paradiso/Melkweg/De Nieuwe Anita/Trouw/OCCII

NIGHTLIFE: Trouw/Studio 80/Club Up

EATING: check out this facebook greatlittleplaceamsterdam?sk=wall

And of course damsquare/vondelpark etc

• 4 weeks later...

i just got tickets for amsterdam oct 12th-oct 23rd!!!!

can anyone recomend good areas to stay at for fun? possibly visiting cologne germany as well. also thinking about laying over at reykjavk iceland for a day or two maybe. thoughts?

what to do other than party and check out redlight?

Club UP - near leidseplein (a indie-electro club)

Burgermeester(burgers)

(elaudsgracht)

Shops selling streetwear,denim,etc

SPRMRKT

(Rozengracht)

Precinct 5

(near Flower market)

Concrete

(Spuistraat)

Tenue de Nimes

(Elandsgracht)

290 sqm - A.P.C, Porter, Clarks originals, Freitag, Kanken,Fixie Bikes..etc

(Houtkopersdwarsstraat)

-Eating-

Italian restaurant "Italiaans Restaurant Caprese" at Leidsplein

Fantastic pasta, try the "special".

-Weed-

Rembrandtplein?

-Attractions-

House of Bols-opposite Rijksmuseum(cocktail academy and museum, you get 2 free drinks here)

-Sex Museum

-Heineken Experience(worth checking out, special beer tasting and 2 free pints)

check it out for sure.

-Canal Cruise(SKIP THIS AT ALL COSTS, TERRIBLY BORING)

if you can rent your own boat, that would be more incredible, there are pizza cruises and champagne canal cruises that are open air and awesome. A party on a boat.

Some advice: Rent a bicycle. In Amsterdam, bikes are king. bike lanes run all over the city and you can get from one place to the other really conveniently. There are a couple of bike kiosks and they cost about 15-20 euros for a 24 hour rental.

-go to vondel park and chill, many beautiful people and its really relaxing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hasn't happened yet.

Doubt that it ever will considering that weed growing in the Netherlands is still illegal above 5 plants a person.

So all the weed has to be tested...

Before it hits the shops, can you imagine the logistics behind that??

Well testing of marijuana products has become quite popular here within the medical marijuana states

http://steephilllab.com/

http://budgenius.com/

So it's definitely possible to test and implement guidelines on specific strains....

but ultimately I'm glad this is all hypothetical until 2015 at the least :)

I can't wait to go back to Amsterdam, want to go to either Awakenings in the summer along with a few other fests, or ADE next year.

that has been the word floating around. still yet to hear many 1st person experiences.

I think Maastricht is the only place to have started enforcing it. Apparently Germans and Belgians are excepted (which seems ridic considering the changes were proposed to help reduce border-crossing, drug tourism traffic).

everyone seems to think it'll be quite a while before it happens in Amsterdam.

• 2 weeks later...

The wietpas is highly controversial and it will be a surprise how the European court will react to it in case of every european being equal. So if it ever rears it's ugly head in Amsterdam remains to be seen

One more thing on the testing, I talked to the owner of the coffeeshop I frequent and he said never gonna happen because officially they don't have more than 20 grams weed in stock according to law. And the rest have to be tested on the spot...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My girlfriend and I will be in town again over the Easter holiday, staying close to Central station again. Does anyone have recommendations for restaurants, shows, or meet ups?

My girlfriend and I will be in town again over the Easter holiday, staying close to Central station again. Does anyone have recommendations for restaurants, shows, or meet ups?

My gf and I will be there over the long weekend as well (Sat - Mon). Heading in from Paris Sat. morning.

We've never been and have a rough list of things to check out (mostly touristy), including:

- Tenue di Nimes

- Noordermarket (Mon. morning - second hand clothing)

- Brouwerij 't IJ Brewery

- Wine/picnic Vondlepark

- Shops/roaming - nine streets / Jordaan

Still looking into restos and bars. I'll post anything I come across. Let me know if you encounter anything interesting outside of this thread.

Be aware that easter monday is a holiday. Some shops and museums might be closed.

Go rent a bike and get to the outskirts of the city center. Pijp area, westerpark,Java eliand.

Good shops and resto's a plenty there. Can you get a little more detailed on what you want to do here ??

I see you taking the misses so romantic, clubbing, or shopping ??

We're just looking for some places to chill in the evening, away from all the tourist but open to non locals, 25-30 crowd. A nice, laid back restaurant or bar would be cool.

If the weather is nice, go to the westerpark area, there is a excellent sandwich shop at the main entrance if you are there in the afternoon and there are some good restaurants in the park.http://www.westergasfabriek.nl/en/whats-on-en/calendar-detail?date=06-04-2012&eventid=34

Awakenings is on there,

The 9 street area is sort of a shopping destiny butt also packs some great restaurants, it's a bit expensive but Bussia has better italian food then I had in Italy http://www.bussia.nl/menu.jpg.

Shopping wise : Denham next door on the prinsengracht 493 and tenue de nimes on the elandsgracht 60 for denim.

290 sqm and van Ravenstein for uptown stuff

don't go to the PC hooftstreet for shopping, you'll waste your time...

PM me if you want some more info

Edited by aso2004

We went to Amsterdam two weeks ago.

We really liked the Buffet van Odette - Prinsengracht 598. Nice opportunity for grabbing breakfast or lunch.

Also Le Garage - Ruysdaelstraat 54 - is a very nice place to grab some dinner, but it's kinda pricey.

I also can recommend the Jordaan district and the patisserie Small World - Binnen Oranjestraat 14. There are a lot of places to walk and to see.

A really nice place to chill and hang out, without disturbing music but with nice people, is Cafe de Barones on Torensteeg 2. Nice barkeeper, good prices and chilled atmosphere

Since I just registered here I decided to put some effort in a good guide for Amsterdam. I'll start off with some clubbing-tips. Later on I will also write on some places for drinks, diner and of course shopping. If you want any particular tips you can also contact me by pm.

Clubbing:

Since I'm mostly into techno / techhouse, this is what you can mostly expect in these clubs. Most clubs are open until 4 except for Fridays and Saturdays: 5am. There is a plan that some clubs will be allowed to open 24hours a day in the near future, some clubs are already allowed to do so on a very irregular basis.

• Trouw - www.trouwamsterdam.nl

My personal favourite. Former newspaper facility, looks very underground. A lot of good techno parties are hosted here and sometimes some othery electronic music genres. Opens on Friday and Saturday and sometimes an event on Sunday. Not hard to get in or whatsoever, but long waiting lines. You can also dine here but I never tried that.

• Chicago Social Club - www.chicagosocialclub.nl

Second favourite. Cool place, not too big, fun people hanging out there most often. Every day of the week the bar is open. On Thursday there is a 5 euro entrance fee and there will be 2 times half an hour of "supersize", in which your drinks will be doubled: house, tech-house. Friday there are often very good parties, but I was dissapointed several times on saturday.

• Studio 80 - www.studio-80.nl

This is a club on the Rembrandtplein: lots of bad places there except for this one. Opens from wednesday until saturday (this Eastern also a 24hour party on sunday for eastern, with watergate club berlin). Most often techno up here. Pretty small and crowded place. Sometimes quite a lot of guys and youngsters, still a good place though. They will ask you whether you know what is playing that night and/or what kind of music you like.

• Club Up - www.clubup.nl

On Leidseplein, a bit hard to find: entrance on friday and saturday on the left of Palladium and on thursday just in the back, close to Amsterdamned. Opens from thursday to saturday. Lots of different nights: from deep house to disco, d&b to electro. Pretty cool place.

• Sugar Factory - www.sugarfactory.nl

Pretty fun place, lots of different music, on sunday "wicked jazz sounds" is quite popular.

Then there is the Westergas area.

There is a "Westergasterras", a terrace where you can get drinks and eat lunch or diner outside. Ok, nothing fancy here. Westerunie has parties on Fridays and Saturday. Gashouder and Transformatorhuis host parties for special events like Awakenings: www.awakenings.nl

Some other places you might consider:

• Paradiso - www.paradiso.nl

legendary pop temple, wednesday and thursday pop/dance nights for youngsters, friday and saturday more crowded: electronic music.

Like paradiso, lots of concerts. Thursday pop/dance youngsters. Friday and saturday different events with electronic music.

You might consider going to club Air, although i'm definitely not a fan of it. You have to buy an "Air-debitcard" where you have to store money on what you cannot withdraw later. Other options simply suck, so don't go there unless you are a bunch of drunk touristic retards.

In the summer there are a lot of outdoor festivals in the Amsterdam area. Really fucking cool so if you are there you should definitely visit one.

Some cool festivals include:

Awakenings Festival

Zomerpark

Buiten Westen

A Day At The Park

Bigger festivals with a lot of different stages:

Loveland

DanceValley

Mysteryland

Edited by Mr.Barry

We're just looking for some places to chill in the evening, away from all the tourist but open to non locals, 25-30 crowd. A nice, laid back restaurant or bar would be cool.

Dining

Italian I would suggest Toscanini. Brasserie-style: Flo. More up-standard dining: Le Zinc or Van Vlaanderen or Vis aan de Schelde. Really good burgers, but not very nice to dine-in: Burgermeester. You can also dine at BoCinq, where you can also have drinks.

Drinks:

Bubbles & Wines (winebar), Vyne (winebar), BoCinq, Hoppe (typically amsterdam, drink a beer), Lux, Bloemenbar, cafe brecht.

Enjoy!

Edited by Mr.Barry

• 3 weeks later...

Antwerp is not in Holland but anyway:

for lunch and a drink I like exki.

for dinner: ebisu sushi is pretty nice. Pelgrimsstraat 30.

Update on Amsterdam, patta moved from it's current lokation to precinct5 at the kalvertoren.

For shopping in Amsterdam I suggest:

jeans/denim:

Tenue de nimes.

290 square meters.

Clothes:

Concrete

precinct5

Sneakers:

BenG

Patta