66 Diary: LVC vs. SUGAR CANES

dr.house

• 2 weeks later...
yeah, seat area looks a bit big imo but the rest of the fit is ace stefan!...

Wut? I don't want them look disco, man...anyway, I love the fit.

It's really surprising that both repros are that accurate fit- and cutwise.

True, I've sized down 1" on the Canes, but this was to compensate the shrinking-stretching behavior of them. All the main measurements are identic (except the shorter length of the LEvis) as well as the main details.

Now it comes to the fabric, and here are the main differences...see you soon!

The Denime is roomier...But you're right, I should do exact measurements. The Denime is tagged 34" and was huge in the beginning, but they've shrunk a LOT (you know what I'm talking about :( )...

Uh, and it was a big surprise for me...do you remember my 47 Sugar cane? The cut is completely different to the LVCs so I've expected a differnet cut on the 66 canes as well...

Allright, on this pic you can see the my Denime 66 (when they were new), just for a quick comparison. Similar, but not as slim as the canes and the LVCs.

dengj.jpg

* I've got so much boots, but I've just reckognized that I wear my 875's on every pic in this thread. Guess my favourites :-)

Some more details.

The denim on both pairs started smooth and turned pretty stiff AFTER soak, the LVCs a bit more than the Canes. The double ring-spun cotton of the Canes is 14 oz. dry, whereas the Cone of the LVCs is 12 oz. dry as usual :

lvc1.jpg

LVC 1966

sc1z.jpg

Sugar Cane 1966

You can see the more royal blue of the LEvis, the Canes are a bit darker and more greyish.

Interesting detail on both pairs are the silvered backs of the rivets. Thanks to Dr.Heech, that's the original way!

dsci0582w.jpg

Sugar Cane 1966

dsci0583.jpg

LVC 1966

Closer to the originals is the cotton thread of the Canes:

dsci0587.jpg

dsci0578d.jpg

Yeah, slubby and hairy like we all know most jap denims...

dsci0588.jpg

dsci0574j.jpg

...but the Cone of the LVCs is also a bit more hairy than usual.

Again some sizing suggestions. If you like to have the original, slim-straight 60's cut go TTS with the LVCs and size down one on the Canes. They're tight after soak/wash but stretch easily back. The inseam on the LVCs runs 1 inch shorter!

Both pairs are really nice and a pleasure to wear, I'm really keen about the progress on both pairs, but this may take a lil' time :-)

Btw (for the historical correctness)- the 1966 501 was the last capital E model (and of course the 1st without backpocket rivets), cutwise the third milestone besides the 47's and the 55's.

031my.jpg

Compare this old original with the Repros...

Check the Arcs and the interesting beltloop position on the right front of the jean. The yoke is deeper like the one on the Canes. On the little pic on the left you can see the silvered backside of the frontpocket rivets.

Thanks to ghostdeini for the perfect scans!

Compare this old original with the Repros...

Check the Arcs and the interesting beltloop position on the right front of the jean. The yoke is deeper like the one on the Canes. On the little pic on the left you can see the silvered backside of the frontpocket rivets.

Thanks to ghostdeini for the perfect scans!

Thanks for sharing!

One of the things I noticed on the LVC patch when I got my pair is the tiny "Lot 501XX" above the main 501 designation. I thought that didn't belong there, and looking at the vintage pair it appears I was right.

The LVC arcs are kinda cool and growing on me, but I knew they over did it making them so flat.

Those are a pretty small size. I wonder if that's why the yoke is so big? And as the sizes go up, its proportion to the rest of the jeans changes (like the distance between the front belt loops does)?

Thanks for sharing!

One of the things I noticed on the LVC patch when I got my pair is the tiny "Lot 501XX" above the main 501 designation. I thought that didn't belong there, and looking at the vintage pair it appears I was right.

The LVC arcs are kinda cool and growing on me, but I knew they over did it making them so flat.

Those are a pretty small size. I wonder if that's why the yoke is so big? And as the sizes go up, its proportion to the rest of the jeans changes (like the distance between the front belt loops does)?

Yeah, true, I was wondering about this 501xx line too. And I agree again with you, the repro arcs are a bit overrated-flat.

Thanks for looking and thanks a lot for all your reps :-)

so the original has still the V stitch on the button? Interesting

Yeah, I was wondering too about this detail. but I'm not sure if this one is exactly from 1966 (or maybe 67, 68). Check this other example:

031pl.jpg

;)

030wk.jpg

Maybe they've changed this detail between both pairs. But the LVC repro is almost accurate and very close to the original, no?

So not the same.

Would be nice to see some more posts about the Sugarcane, though.

Some posts ago I was talking with a guy about that little 501 above the big 501 on the leather-like patch. It's not the same, but the patch is close to the original. More details of the Canes next time, last I was looking for a comparison between the original and the repro Levis.

Check out this patch from a 60's 501:

tumblr_lapfswoR4g1qdfd7i.jpg

(Thanks to bluegoldblues)

compared to the repro patch:

dsci0587k.jpg

^No "Made in USA", the code "WPL 423" is on the other side and the little 501 on the left got an "XX" added. But hey, pretty close (even the measurements :-))

This is because they are different models.

The 501XX 501 came before the 501.501 model IIRC.