Banking and other conveniences in Tokyo

sugarboots

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on banking in tokyo. i was going to close out my american bank account and open up a citibank since i know they have citibank atms in tokyo...however, is it best to bring cash with me and change it over and THEN open an account at citibank or open a citibank account here with money in it (you can withdraw from anywhere in the world, however, you cannot make deposits outside of the country where you open the account) and then change the account over once i get to tokyo?

aaaaand has anyone used citibank for primary banking in tokyo??

also - if you wear contacts, do most of you buy your contacts there, or did you stock up before you left?

i leave next month. seems like so much hassling i have to do before i get there.

For a large city like Tokyo, the banks aren't open for long hours...if I recall, they close around 3-4pm and are closed weekends.

ATM's are usually a little more accessible, though.

A bank account is a must if you wanna get a mobile phone. My job paid cash in hand, so I only opened an account for a phone.

However, I did bring a lot of cash with me and it did put my mind at ease depositing it.

I suggest you bring as much cash as possible and deposit in to a Japanese bank.

I never used Citibank, so I can't give you much info on that.

My account was with Mizuho bank in Tokyo.

I would suggest bringing cash with you and opening an account with a local bank, perhaps your sister knows of some? I'm pretty sure atm withdrawals incur a fee so it might not be worth it for you in the long run if you're always taking money out. I used to bank with Asahi Ginko and they were alright. Japan is a cash society anyways so you'll need to make cash deposits anyways when you get paid.

if they move, kill 'em.