Best way to shrink cotton t-shirts?

MikeN

I have a brand new t-shirt that I need to shrink at least one size. I know you can toss it in the wash with hot water...and then dry it... but there have to be more surefire methods than that.

Someone suggested boiling t-shirts first on another message board. Anyone ever have any success doing that? Thanks.

Its been my experience that your better off making a small shirt bigger--stretching it by wearing it-- than a big shirt smaller. There a ton of t shirts in my closet that I love and never wear because they are too big. I've tried all sorts of different shit, but never really found anything that works. I'm no expert though, maybe someone here will have better advice.

honey, you're my religion

Even though you haven't yet expanded

To include a heaven after

Even though I have demanded it

I know what you mean, Live. But I was hoping this one would shrink because it's brand new with the tags, and because it doesn't say anything about pre-shrunk on it. Plus I just spend 40 bucks on it, so it better get smaller!

I've had a ton of shirts that were too big, mostly because I cant get decent stuff locally so when I'm not travelling I buy a lot online = occasionally wrong sizes / fit

start by washing it (or just get it wet in the sink) and then tumbledrying it. if you dont have access to a tumbledryer you can wash it in hot water.

if that doesnt help, you can always make it smaller by sewing. I've taken many t-shirts to a sewer (is that a word? anyways someone who fixes clothes) who charged like $10 and made it a couple of centimeters slimmer. they can also modify the sleeves (slimmer or shorter).

I've even sewn a couple t-shirts and sweaters myself, doesn't take too much skills.

Quote:

It's not going to shrink much at all.

--- Original message by minya on May 16, 2006 07:37 AM

not necessarily true.

depending on the manufacturer and whether or not it's 'pre-shrunk,' you may lose at least a full size. american apparel shrinks like nobody's business, and even supposedly pre-shrunk shirts i've got from anvil or M&O have shrunk substantially.

one thing to be careful of, wash-wise, is the graphic. depending on the quality of the screen, a hard, hot wash and a hot dry may affect it.

good luck!

if that doesn't work, throw it in the microwave wet. This should work as long as there is no metal or embellishments that would melt.

My mother used to do this with any "innappropriate" shirts I bought, they shrunk a lot.

I would check it oftenthough, I have no idea how quick it is

Masochism at it's finest.

lol, microwave, thats fricken dangerous man, with todays microwaves that will just go up in flames, but if u reckon it works

the only sure and SAFE way to do it is get it as wet as possible, real soaking. then throw it in the dryer literally dripping wet, put it on hottest setting and dry the shit out of it untill its dry. the key is to get it as wet as poss. after this it wont shrink anymore though. dont dry it with anything else, just the t on its own. when its dry leave it to sit in the dryer for ten minutes before you take it out.