The Flat Head 3001

fadeaway

advice needed - i'm thinking of some 3001's for my next pair of jeans - i'm a natural 35 waist. flat heads only go up to 34. you can see my dilemma. on the SelfEdge site, they say the approximate waist size of a 34 is in truth a 35 - but how do they stretch? will these be package crushingly tight in the waist, or will it stretch over time? my jims, lvc's, h&m sliq's, and my other assorted jeans have stretched quickly as that i frequently wear them day in and day out (thats the point right...) but i'm unsure of how to go about these. thoughts?

plus - i haven't seen a 35 or 36 waist anywhere for these, so i imagine 34 is the only road that leads to rome for this brand

I've been eyeing these jeans as well (actually eyeing about 10 pairs of jeans atm). I'm a natural 34, but its my thighs that have been giving me the most trouble. 24.5 at the widest part, 1 inch from the crotch. That means, I literally, cannot fit into jeans with thigh sizes less than 12 inches wide. (fortunately, these are 12.2) I don't know about you, jeepster, but I always look at the thigh width for jeans first to see if I fit into them or not. Then again, guys like us aren't "supposed" to be wearing slimfit jeans :rolleyes: .

Guest mwills
These are a 29. I'm roughly 5'10" 127lbs...

Your like my asian identical waist/height/weight twin!

Got any hand-me-downs...like FH 3001s by chance...

Haha, but seriously I love those jeans and the fit on you. I've been flip flopping on what pair of jeans I want to pick next and your pics keep the FHs up at the top of the list. Its really between the FH 3001s and Skull 5010xx 6x6. Well, Dior 19cm MIJ are in there too but it just seems the quality of the denim isn't up to par even though I love the fit.

I've been eyeing these jeans as well (actually eyeing about 10 pairs of jeans atm). I'm a natural 34, but its my thighs that have been giving me the most trouble. 24.5 at the widest part, 1 inch from the crotch. That means, I literally, cannot fit into jeans with thigh sizes less than 12 inches wide. (fortunately, these are 12.2) I don't know about you, jeepster, but I always look at the thigh width for jeans first to see if I fit into them or not. Then again, guys like us aren't "supposed" to be wearing slimfit jeans :rolleyes: .

haha, well actually, i'm 6'7" thin as a rail, its just because of my height, i have wider hips at a certain point, though i'm completely proportional. my lvc's were 34's, and my jims were mismarked and measure about 35.5 (36 on tag). i'm not going for like ramones tight, but i'm definately going for a slim fit (baggy clothes make me look... well, lets not get into it cause its so bad.. hah)

jeepster- from my experience, the FH hugs your hips and thighs alot. But if you are going to be sizing down one, you might be in for some trouble. My advice is, if you really want FH is to loose some extra weight to get yourself to a 34.

Dang! You're like 50% taller than me!!! How long is the inseam on these jeans? I'm 5'9. Anything longer than a 32 is a stack or cuff (I don't hem.)
jeepster- from my experience, the FH hugs your hips and thighs alot. But if you are going to be sizing down one, you might be in for some trouble. My advice is, if you really want FH is to loose some extra weight to get yourself to a 34.

cynlix - first of all, i weigh 200 lbs, and i don't need to loose weight, i need to probably gain some weight for my height, but i'm anything but fat or in the slightest overweight. i know its not an attack on me, but i'm tall, skinny as a pole, and mostly legs

junkie - i usually wear things marked 34 since a 36 is hard to find in inseam, but i only cuff my dry jeans, all my prewash (all 2 i guess) are marked 34 and i don't cuff them.

Your like my asian identical waist/height/weight twin!

Got any hand-me-downs...like FH 3001s by chance...

Haha, but seriously I love those jeans and the fit on you. I've been flip flopping on what pair of jeans I want to pick next and your pics keep the FHs up at the top of the list. Its really between the FH 3001s and Skull 5010xx 6x6. Well, Dior 19cm MIJ are in there too but it just seems the quality of the denim isn't up to par even though I love the fit.

when i went to SE i finally came to the decision between 5010's and 3001's, and its a fucking tough one. i went with the 3001's, and im loving them, both pairs fit like a dream if youre looking for a skinny straight leg, both super nice, the 5010's will probably be my next pair of denims, after i wear out the two im already working on :cool:

if it helps...i'm 5'9 they shrunk to a just a bit more than a 34 inseam. i hemmed to to a 31...pretty decent stack for me...cause i wear em pretty low. but from what i hear...a hot soak should bring them to a 34...i pretty much got no shrinking in the waist which is strange, but the legs slimmed up. wish I would've went with a 31 waist, but its all good.

oh and I weight like 140 and am about 5'9

yeah i can confirm this, i did a 3 hr hot soak on mine and the inseam is right at 34 now, i got about a half to an inch of shrinking elsewhere (thighs and waist et all)

like cprotch i also got w30, and im 6'0 ~150lbs, only about a full week of wearing, still have some stretching to do in the thighs/waist, fits getting better every day

Agreed. I deliberated for some time between the Skulls, SExIH's, and 3001's and ultimately resolved the 3001 was the most flattering fit. If I wasn't so intent on a pair with stitching, I'd have bought them right then. I'm looking forward to the final outcome of the frontier model.

yeah i can confirm this, i did a 3 hr hot soak on mine and the inseam is right at 34 now, i got about a half to an inch of shrinking elsewhere (thighs and waist et all)

Is that all you experienced in the thigh/waist? I also was concerned about sizing. I wear 31 in almost everything, which fit great pre-soak in the 3001's, however, I've got runner's legs, yet to size up to 32 felt excessive (since I planned on only cold soaks/washes)...

Is that all you experienced in the thigh/waist? I also was concerned about sizing. I wear 31 in almost everything, which fit great pre-soak in the 3001's, however, I've got runner's legs, yet to size up to 32 felt excessive (since I planned on only cold soaks/washes)...

yeah, about an inch in the wait and less than that in the thighs once i measured, seems lots more once you put them on since theyre so slim to begin with though, my slim jims, samurais and flat heads are all w30, though the flat heads are the slimmest im pretty sure, but like i said, i did a hot soak, a cold one might shrink them even less

i don't think 3001s go past size 34, could be wrong though.

see the thing is, i totally imagine they do, its just that their the kind that would only be sold in japan. like how sizes like those will only be around the source, but if i can find them, that would be awesome.

question (edit): would it be cheaper to buy them through a japanese site, or is it worth doing it through self edge because of the return policy ($280 is a fucking lot fo money.) i'm deciding between these and some nudies - or i'm gonna go to blue in green and see what good stuff they have there. so help me out.

would it be cheaper to buy them through a japanese site, or is it worth doing it through self edge because of the return policy ($280 is a fucking lot fo money.) i'm deciding between these and some nudies - or i'm gonna go to blue in green and see what good stuff they have there. so help me out.

I asked a similar question last week. As long as they retain tabs and arcuates, Flathead won't allow their jeans to be exported from Japan (most stores still have only the old, arcuate-bearing styles in stock until the redesigns ship), thus it's impossible to order them directly from Japan (at least via rakuten storefronts). You can order them via proxy, but the shipping and service fees thereby make them only sligtly ($20+) or so less expensive than ordering from Self Edge, and Kiya offers the security of an exchange/store credit option, which proxy services don't...

I asked a similar question last week. As long as they retain tabs and arcuates, Flathead won't allow their jeans to be exported from Japan (most stores still have only the old, arcuate-bearing styles in stock until the redesigns ship), thus it's impossible to order them directly from Japan (at least via rakuten storefronts). You can order them via proxy, but the shipping and service fees thereby make them only sligtly ($20+) or so less expensive than ordering from Self Edge, and Kiya offers the security of an exchange/store credit option, which proxy services don't...

i see. do any of you know other places that ship flat heads in the us - and another question, how do the 3001 compare to the skull 5010xx one wash? also, whats the comparable samurai cut thats like the 3001. i'd really like some official japanese jeans (i have yet to enter the official realm), so i'm looking to see which fit close to the 3001 if i can't find them. thanks

see the thing is, i totally imagine they do, its just that their the kind that would only be sold in japan. like how sizes like those will only be around the source, but if i can find them, that would be awesome.

question (edit): would it be cheaper to buy them through a japanese site, or is it worth doing it through self edge because of the return policy ($280 is a fucking lot fo money.) i'm deciding between these and some nudies - or i'm gonna go to blue in green and see what good stuff they have there. so help me out.

Man, go into BiG and try them on! If you have the option of trying jeans on before buying, always, always take it. Guestimates with measurements is impossible. everyone measures their jeans differently to everyone else. The only time I was 100% sure about a buying decision was when I went into the store and bought my Dukes. Spare yourself the anxiety of wondering if you've bought the right size and the pain of buying the wrong size (no matter the store policy, returns are always a hassle).

The reason Rakuten isn't shipping Flat Head to the US any more isn't because of the arcuates.

FH has told all it's accounts to no longer ship outside of Asia.. as is Sugarcane and BS United within the next month or so.

The 3001 and 4001BK by Flat Head are only made up to size 34 waist.

i see. do any of you know other places that ship flat heads in the us - and another question, how do the 3001 compare to the skull 5010xx one wash? also, whats the comparable samurai cut thats like the 3001. i'd really like some official japanese jeans (i have yet to enter the official realm), so i'm looking to see which fit close to the 3001 if i can't find them. thanks

I'm confused.. if you're so into the 3001 and want all these comparisons, why not just buy the 3001??

for the record, Samurai makes absolutely nothing even remotely similar to the 3001..

How abt S0710XX? Are they similare to 3001?

s0710xx are slightly roomier than 3001...i may be wrong though and the skull 1 wash is slightly slimmer than 3001.

again...i may be wrong lol but thats just from the measurements ive looked at

and if youre interested in the 3001...just buy one instead of asking about other jeans that compare to it.

see i would, but i'm unsure of the waist, and i am in now way trying to get you all angry by making the comparrissions, but i'm just curious. the problem with the waist of the FH's are that they only go up to 34, but the waist sitting measured is 35 - i'm a natural 35 or so, but i'm not gonna throw $300 (w/ s/h) into a pair of jeans that won't fit. even going to BiG is a hike for me because i'm 1.5 hours outside NY, the only time i go is when i'm staying over with a friend and have time to kill. its not as easy to get to the places with the nice jeans - thats why i'm asking all these questions because i want clarity before i even consider buying. consumer prowess and what not.

s0710xx are slightly roomier than 3001...i may be wrong though and the skull 1 wash is slightly slimmer than 3001.

again...i may be wrong lol but thats just from the measurements ive looked at

and if youre interested in the 3001...just buy one instead of asking about other jeans that compare to it.

Actually I got a pair of 3001 from Self Edge already, but looking for another pair of similar cutting. Thanks anyways...