Cars/General Automotive ruined my life.

tsxser

I think I'm going to sell my e36 ///m once I get it smogged and reregistered.  I kinda want to get an e30 project and a honda cb as a commuter, but it seems dumb to get an even older car which'll be even more of a money pit than the m3.

Edited by CronutEh

Depending on where you are, I think that's a poor choice. E36s are about as low as it's going to get now in terms of pricing and can only go up, whereas E30's have been steadily rising in price since late '10, at least here in Cali. 

Plus, the multi-link rear in the E36 makes for a more compliant driver. I say keep it. Especially if it's Technoviolet.

My e46 330cic-zhp got a hit and run damage to rear drivers side panel and bumper (that later turned out to be the neighbor who came forward a day after). Then my fucking mazda6 rental got another fucking hit and run to the rear drivers side door on the last hour of usage, right after i parked on the street to drop it off at the body shop. Fucking Bullshit.

Had a very odd sequence of incidents a few years back - 90210 asshole in a 740il t-boned me while I was crossing against stopped traffic. Dude was doing 60 mph (in a 35) and had swung over into a clear parking lane to swerve past cars that'd stopped to let me through. Given my high center of gravity (lifted Jeep, with rack + gear), I flipped and rolled a few times, ending slamming into a concrete light pole - which thankfully stopping me from rolling over a nice older couple that'd been strolling along. Managed to climb out and jump down to the sidewalk and walked it off. Never had so many hugs from strangers. Amazingly enough, no bodily harm (tho, dude who hit me claimed he injured his wrist - I get a letter every year from my insurance co. saying that litigation is still pending (his brother in law was handling the claim :/ ). Apparently he'd came damn close to hitting some pedestrians the block down; ended up with a whole grip witnesses stepping up for me.

So, two weeks later in the rental. I'm no. 2 in line at a stop sign - 2 way intersection (stop is just for a crosswalk). Lady in front of me decides to throw it in reverse to pull into a parking garage driveway that she'd barely missed. I lay on the horn, but she keeps on and pushes my front end in. Thankfully, I didn't get too much interference from the rental co. and she copped truthfully to the responsibility.

Three weeks after that I'm in a new e39 540i that I've picked up, driving my girl home via the 405. Had just gotten up to speed entering the freeway on the onramp. All of a sudden I feel an impact from the rear, and see his lights. Dude jerks over onto the shoulder. As I'm trying to slow down and come to a controlled stop, he accelerates and actually continues to drive up the shoulder, scraping my passenger side from bumper to bumper. He does end up pulling over, and I assume a DUI and call CHP to show. I'm pretty enraged given the recent history, but she calms me down talks to the dude - keeps the peace, etc. Officer clears him and deals with the info and takes a full report. Guy claims he fell asleep, CHP faults him (like there was anything to debate). I file claim the next day, and he tries to make a case that it was my fault (saying I cut him off....). His insurance bucked till I paid to have the CHP report expedited over. Spent another three weeks in a shitty insurance-provided compact (I was too tired at that point to argue for a true comparable, as CA law provides) before mine came back from the shop.

Yeah, fucking bullshit. Was a weird few weeks. I still miss the Jeep; I grew up with that truck and put a lot of blood and sweat into her.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn ...

Do you have a picture of the Jeep ?

I don't think I ever posted a picture of my E39 523i. I wanted to modifiy the exterior a bit but decided against it because I don't have a garage and I don't think I will keep it for too long. I live in a big city and bicycle everywhere, I have to park it in the street in a rather busy area and when I use it for long trips once in a while it's not really more profitable compared to simply renting a car... 

zq6867b.jpg

Edited by freecat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been thinking about maybe getting a different car.  My girlfriend and I are currently driving a 2013 Audi A4.  I have an old Volvo wagon, but it's just sitting in front of my parents house.

We live in Brooklyn so ideally something that could get beat up without sweating it too much.  I'm liking the Lincoln Town Car or the Mercury Grand Marquis in black.  My girlfriend is a big fan of 90s 3 series or 5 series BMW - obviously a cooler car, but not sure if it's a road I want to go down.  We'll probably be moving to the west coast in the next couple years so having a car we could road trip with would be ideal.

Thanks for any help.  I'm not a car guy so any recommendations would be appreciated.

very discreet.  huge trunk.

are you a hit man?

one day i'd like to get a 60s volkswagen type III fastback and get it looking nice, like this. rare car but easier to find in good condition here on the west coast.

22054690002_large.jpg

Edited by Rob060

I'm really interested in a 88-91' bmw e30 325ix does anyone have experience with them or know someone who may sell theirs in the NY/Nj/Pa/De/Maryland area?

E30s are way way overpriced at this point. You're better off with a mid nineties Integra (if you can find one that isn't rusting out on the wheel wells like every Honda gets in the rust belt) or hop on the Miata wagon if you want RWD really bad.

Edited by exhaust fumes

I'm really interested in a 88-91' bmw e30 325ix does anyone have experience with them or know someone who may sell theirs in the NY/Nj/Pa/De/Maryland area?

I have an E30 325es

A really good friend of mine has an ix. Such great cars. And I have to disagree w/ overpriced. They definitely have gone up in the last few years. But I have been looking at ix's in the past few months and found a few great deals

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess I'll throw up my awful money pit:

'98 Talon TSi AWD, I converted it to an Eclipse with a C-west knockoff front bumper, put JDM tails on it, eclipse rear, and took off the goofy side strakes. Short facts: Built motor, DSMLink standalone FP3052 (aka GT3076 turbo), JIC coilovers, Advan RG2 17x9+32, Advan AD08s, Brembo conversion + Endless pads, bunch of greddy gauges, Apexi exhaust+FMIC (to replace the ebay special). Somewhere around 400AWHP with full boost hitting around 3800 RPMish.

PZzCKer.jpg

ioJsUyR.jpg

Doing its thing up at NHMS.

tHtsaiS.jpg

Engine bay more or less right now.

2ic0cwj.jpg

Interior with a Bride Zeta 3 type L

OI6Ly0i.jpg

cToTQwV.jpg

56KGYeT.jpg

New OS Giken R2CD clutch to replace the STR2CD that shredded my input shaft, TMZ built transmission being put in (EVO 3 input shaft, EVO3 1st gear, EVO3 2nd gear, 4 gear spider diff, very expensive douglas). New vented hood for more cooling.

Paint costs money and I never drive it pretty much anywhere outside the track, the drivetrain/suspension/reliability is a bigger priority. I'm probably going to just vinyl wrap it ADVAN red/black diagonal style.

Gives the younger EVOs a run for their lunch money at least, but I can't stand the majority of DSM guys.