is a leather trench coat a fashion faux pas?

donnie

how can something that once looked so cool

matrix-the-reloaded-teaser-morpheus-4100405.jpg now even be considered a fashion fail?

i want one, i need one!

ive even found a decent source of them here http://www.twenga.com/price-mens-leather-trench-coat.html

does anyone own one?? can anyone back me up on how much of a wardrobe staple this must be?? if you do own one... how often do you reckon you wear it? i mean theyre not cheap so i want to make sure i get my wear out of it... have you ever had an occasion where it was just inappropriate to wear it? or is it always acceptable?

i hate buying clothes without backup from others so help me out...

Okay, so I just bought a Julius Biker style leather trench, A/W 2003. It's the fucking bomb. I wear it everyday. I wanted a leather jacket, and a coat, boom, I win.

I think as long as it fits sharp/tailored and not tight or boxy, and not shiny or plastic-y looking, you're good. And the rest of the outfit and your style, of course. they are important

dude yeh youre right, i dont want to look like some killer, although i probs wouldnt rock it exactly like morpheus... minus the too cool glasses and the guns and its probably a little more normal and approachable!

what do where with your trench coat CD? and did you get yours online? or in a shopt? to ensure the tailoring etc was bang on for your shape?? thats my fear with online, also you can never predict the quality really can you? probably a good idea to avoid the patent croc look in the photo too!! haha

Haha well the fact of the matter is that leather trenches WILL make you less approachable. So you gotta embrace that fact. I got mine in the supermarket, and I just wear it with whatever, black jeans, derbies or boots, whatever top, some neutral color.

You just gotta check measurements to make sure and trust the label will fit your body type.

but it is honestly hit or miss... mostly miss.

ICR the thought of you making fun of me doesnt put me off but thanks for the help on that one!!

but TC i think youre right, something is holding me back thats why i came here, i dont know what it is, maybe its the approachable thing... maybe youre right i just dont have the confidence to pull one off... im gonna sit on it for a bit and see how i feel after xmas i think.

**thanks for everyones help**

if you were able to pull of a leather trench you wouldnt be here asking if it's possible. proceed with caution

qft

hey guys you think i can pull off the raf astro boots?

• 4 weeks later...

nick cage wears a weathered leather trench in the sorcerer's apprentice. this one has a really high collar. would be interesting to see how it looks popped up.

apprenticenyc1.jpg

there's also a kid on my campus with grunge hair who walks around in a leather trench all the time. he walks alone of course. i personally can't even pull off a cotton trench. i do have one made of wool however that i've been wearing this whole winter.

http://imgur.com/fNi9v.jpg

http://imgur.com/lzaKU.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...