ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

MAybe we should launch a new thread when the jeans are imminent, what do people think?

If so, I'll do a little interview with ROY, and ask questions about felled seams etc. I will try and do the same with Ralph. If we don't float a new thread I'll put them at the beginning of this one. May be some time.

Dang trying to get with this ROY contest business is like a hobo trying to hop an overland express at full tit. I almost missed the whistle out of the station (even though I had the timetables) and every time I try to grab a rail ten boxcars have zipped on by. It's going to be one heck of a ride! And boxcars make me think of boxers. I hope (crossed fingers y'all) that they'll be polky-dotted!

If so, I'll do a little interview with ROY, and ask questions about felled seams etc.

I just looked at the photos of the sample, and they are not felled. I kind of figured they wouldn't be, as it not historically accurate(??)

I just looked at the photos of the sample, and they are not felled. I kind of figured they wouldn't be, as it not historically accurate(??)

I'm sure you're right altho I find it difficult to tell without seeing the inside. I think proper felled seams, as opposed to double stitch, were common on some classy shirts but not so much on jeans as they're bulky. And I don't think that's part of Roy's vibe. Of course I want to see more detailing on the Contest pants.

Early Lees were double stitched but not felled inner seams; Wrangler were fully-felled outer seams IIRC. I would bet that anyone who used fully-felled machines would do so on a dedicated machine, it would surely take up too much time otherwise.

man i cant wait to see detailed pics of the contest pants, they look too great. what a great design, i cant believe that you guys pulled this off. and thank you for taking me on board. so thanks again to everyone involved in this project.

Fardin, you've only ever posted pants, haven't you? can't wait to see you in your natural surroundings.... wonder if we can work in any of your excellent photo-sourcing abilities into the ROY thread.

Or maybe we all will be the ornery, grizzled old workmen that SuFu kids will gasp at in the next century.

So we got 3 people in cali if I'm correct, with rnr and myself in LA :D

rnr, fancy a few beers during the contest amigo? will people think were dorks for wearing the same jeans?!!! lol

Well, if they thought we were dorks, they would be right!

I am socal, you are socal, and Sansome1877 (Mike Harris) is also socal, so it is a must for a meet up.

I'm sure you're right altho I find it difficult to tell without seeing the inside. I think proper felled seams, as opposed to double stitch, were common on some classy shirts but not so much on jeans as they're bulky. And I don't think that's part of Roy's vibe. Of course I want to see more detailing on the Contest pants.

Early Lees were double stitched but not felled inner seams; Wrangler were fully-felled outer seams IIRC. I would bet that anyone who used fully-felled machines would do so on a dedicated machine, it would surely take up too much time otherwise.

I'm wearing a pair of KMWs right now that have felled inseams, and they aren't noticeably more bulky than my jeans with double stitched inseams. Felled seams, in my opinion, are a much cleaner look, and possibly stronger. It doesn't really matter to me either way, but I personally think it would be a nice touch. That photo of yours that I quoted sure looks like a sample of a crotch with felled seams (but the could just be double stitched, but the stitches are usually closer together?), which got me thinking...

I'm wearing a pair of KMWs right now that have felled inseams, and they aren't noticeably more bulky than my jeans with double stitched inseams. Felled seams, in my opinion, are a much cleaner look, and possibly stronger. It doesn't really matter to me either way, but I personally think it would be a nice touch. That photo of yours that I quoted sure looks like a sample of a crotch with felled seams (but the could just be double stitched, but the stitches are usually closer together?), which got me thinking...

I think that pic is of him just trying out his machines on the fabric. And seeing how it handles that thickness of fabric/folds etc.

So we got 3 people in cali if I'm correct, with rnr and myself in LA :D

rnr, fancy a few beers during the contest amigo? will people think were dorks for wearing the same jeans?!!! lol

whoa whoa 3.5 in socal. I get to count for half a person, for having grown up there and still calling it home, eh?

Entrants: check your email. Batch 1 going in tonight. Be in that batch.

oi stressful. 11:15pm and I'm about to pass out. Hope it's cool for me to catch up tomorrow GMT +8.

hah, I emailed Paul 11 minutes after his email, and didn't get in the first order. That's fine, though, because I need to confirm my inseam measurements tonight...

hah, I emailed Paul 11 minutes after his email, and didn't get in the first order. That's fine, though, because I need to confirm my inseam measurements tonight...

i emailed 54 mn after ..... i am prolly the latest..... jeee what a bunch of motivated dudes