ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Much respect to all of you that made this happen. And good luck to the contestants! I will be watching over this contest. This stuff is pretty exciting.

Man, when Paul T said there were going to be some "odd new people" I thought for sure I was in.....wishful thinking I guess!

:(

i second what rnrswitch said (minus the neg rep roy6 part, i don't do neg reps. not really. unless you're a big a.hole of course). with the number of people who signed up for it, it was bound that there would have been people who will unfortunately be left out and it was a really tough decision for paul, rnr, roy6 and alibaba-nice to say "roy can't make more than what he can handle. im sorry theres no more pairs left :*(" and it eventually came down to 3 pairs with so many names left.

i myself was lucky enough to be in for the ride, so i have my lucky stars to count and nothing else. it would have been great to have more than 30 names on that list, but thing is roy can only make so many pairs with whatever time that he has. hope nobody feels too bitter about it..

just checking in here to say a big thanks to paul, rnr, roy6 and mr nice. it will be a great chance to watch all you big guns on the list out in action in these jeans with too much steeze. thank you all for taking out so much time and dedication to make this happen. i have never seen such a mad scramble for a contest on sufu. its like one of those lucky draw competitions thing where you go into a box where money gets blown everywhere and you try to grab all the money as fast as you can – mad.

well i'm glad you picked Farhad instead of me...now I can kick his ass in the Eternal contest for sure. ;)

truth be told. having just dropped $$$$ on new photog gear, and having that to pay off, buying clothes right now isn't on my priority list.

huge thanks to roy6 for the initial invite all those months ago, and i'm jacked to see fits, fades, and photos from all of you! indeed lucky bastards. (however if there happens to be a lonely pair of 34's somewhere...i will definitely not say NO :))

well i'm glad you picked Farhad instead of me...now I can kick his ass in the Eternal contest for sure. ;)

truth be told. having just dropped $$$$ on new photog gear, and having that to pay off, buying clothes right now isn't on my priority list.

huge thanks to roy6 for the initial invite all those months ago, and i'm jacked to see fits, fades, and photos from all of you! indeed lucky bastards. (however if there happens to be a lonely pair of 34's somewhere...i will definitely not say NO :))

no wait, i am gonna kick your ass and farhad's ass in the eternal contest even though you guys have better fits and way better photography than i do. im going to pull a rabbit out of the hat on this one somehow. ;)

it would have been nice to have you in though. i was really rooting for you!

Looking forward to this, although not sure I can see much after crying my eyes out at missing out on this.. :( All the best to youse lucky sons of a gun (or is that sons of guns?), especially organizers Paul T, roy6, almostnice, and rnrswitch. Oh, and ranon because he's Singapore's shining steward of great jeans! :)

Oh, could contestants take evo and fit pics of the boxers too? Now that would make this a contest to end all contests.. :P

lol .... whos gonna wear MF other brands next year? we are all in....

I don't know about you, but it gets cold enough here in winter to wear three layers of jeans at once.

Wait, Farhad's in the Eternals? And Ran? Denim sluts! I didn't notice that. Your lack of fidelity will weigh against you!

-Z-, I'm sorry you didn't get in. The sizing may be tricky, since these are one of a kind, so stay tuned...

Oh, could contestants take evo and fit pics of the boxers too? Now that would make this a contest to end all contests.. :P

You will soon all be BEGGING ME to stop posting boxer fits.

Guys, thanks for all the notes.

ROY is stoked with this, too, which is great. He feels the love.

Once again, I'm sorry for those who didn't get thru, I've had a bunch of PMs from distraught people, but this is it. ROY needs to have a life. Shit - I need to have a life. And royg, rnr and almostnice.

And to my last PM, honest, there are NO MORE!

NIght night. Après moi, le déluge

quintaruban.jpg

cheers~ looking forward to being amazed for the next 13-14 months. if someone pulls out last minute or sizing becomes an issue, know that there are a legion of heartbroken sufu-ers waiting on the wings. i'm 30 to 31 waist, just saying.

Seconded. Big-time. Are there really many more exclusive articles of clothing out there?

there is only one TG selvedge thong... and its still for sale... $195 us

i will be wearing my boxers a lot as beach shorts cause i dont do that whole rip curl billabong boardies thing but i do beach loads and bikinis arent always appropriate

oh and cheers :lifts vodka and cranberry cause its too hot for anything else:

I guess i am one of the bitter ones.. because i think this is pretty fuckin lame. Not the jeans, but the way it was "announced".. if that really happened.. I guess I just wasn't sharp enough to get it. So now we get to watch many of the die hard roy fans evo a pair of kick ass jeans that, as far as we know, will not be available to buy. Brilliant. I know , I know , sour grapes.

I guess i am one of the bitter ones.. because i think this is pretty fuckin lame. Not the jeans, but the way it was "announced".. if that really happened.. I guess I just wasn't sharp enough to get it. So now we get to watch many of the die hard roy fans evo a pair of kick ass jeans that, as far as we know, will not be available to buy. Brilliant. I know , I know , sour grapes.

Though I understand where you're coming from, you have to look at it from the other side as well. There are certain people the judges wanted to be apart of this contest. These people have probably been supporting Roy since the beginning, so it seemed right for them to be apart of this. Yeah, it's probably a little "unfair", but something this exclusive kind of should be.

And on the other hand, you gotta think about Roy himself. This is one man making all these jeans with a limited time. It wouldn't be the same if he had 100 orders to rush through...No way he'd be able to pay as much attention to detail as he does.

Me, I'm just gonna sit back, watch, and wait for the next time something like this pops up. Maybe by then I'd be part of that "exclusive" list.

Just to clear things up, here is how the contestant selection happened.

rnrswitch and I approached ROY about holding a contest this past spring. ROY was interested. We didn't know how much interest there would be for a contest, so we began approaching people who had expressed interest in ROY to see if they would go for a contest. We got lots of positive response.

PaulT was very into the idea and worked some of his many connections to get some special Cone denim made for the contest jeans. We approached in total almost 40 people. We figured at that time that we might have 50 contest pairs or more, and wanted to leave space for late signups.

As things evolved, ROY made it clear that he only wanted to make 25 pairs. We talked him up to 30.

In order to whittle down our too-big list we asked the people we had already approached to commit to buy the jeans with only a few vague details. Well over 30 did. Those who didn't commit firmly were dropped from the list.

When the prototype became available just recently we went public. We figured some people would drop out, and we would give the new spaces to whoever convinced us that they would faithfully wear the jeans and document their progress. This is exactly what happened. Mikecch, Farhad & lostinthesupermarket wrote nice little essays about where they lived, did, and could bring to the comp, and we selected them and put them in the spaces that came open.

There seems to be an idea that the whole contest would be assigned on a first-come first-serve basis at the last minute, but we never proposed that. We specified that time was short, and we listened to everyone who pm'd us. People who dropped out earlier didn't get priority- we looked at everyone who wanted in.

Someone pm'd me that this wasn't democratic. Superfuture is not a democracy. It is a business paid for by corporate sponsored threads with a built-in popularity system. The contest is what it is- we tried to be fair to both the people who expressed interest in ROY early on and committed to buy the jeans sight-unseen, and tried to leave some slots for newcomers.

As far as I can tell, the list was made up of people who have not only shown great interest as Roy became popular here, but also who have shown a certain degree of dedication in other ways. Frankly, I think it's the best way to set up a competition like this. It will be good, and it will be intense.