ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

ADH92, robbie - props for listening to your intuition

and remaining nicotine-free. I don't smoke either (and I'm 47) --

never have, never will. IMHO, there's nothing cool or attractive

about it.

i miss smoking, the head spin, the sitting watching the world go by while i lazily roll another, hiking to the top of a mountain and having one to celebrate, problem solving thinking time smoke breaks... but damn its great having good lungs again, 2 years no smokes now (though i was very close to it while in christchurch) and the extra $45 a week is good for my new addiction of fatty food

tg76, you don't look at all like you have an addiction to fatty food ! And I hear ya -- I love fatty food too. Nothing like french fries, pizza and coffee on a cold, wintry, rainy day !

for me its not so much fast food (cause im gluten free so most i cant eat any way), more decadent rich fatty things, last nights was some homemade lamb burgers followed by a high fat creamy dessert

pity my genetics keep me slim but 95% of my family die of heart conditions

im also on an extreme carnivore diet.... lamb season here, go for bike ride in country, see cute little lambies....mmmmm lamb shanks

but hey... i gave up smoking, so im healthy right?

Well, tg76 your body looks very slender and healthy. And I'm also on the same "extreme carnivore" diet...your lamb meats dish sounds delicious ! Yes, I would say...you seem very active, always hiking, working, moving, building boats, re-constructing jeans (you're super talented !!!)...and the fact that you don't smoke anymore is a big plus. You may miss the act of taking a drag and the memories that go with, but as you say...you've rediscovered your lungs. I could care less about dying..bring it on, early even ! But day-to-day living is hard enough as it is... to pile on the suffering by doing things which are clearly damaging and will eventually drag us down even more just doesn't make much sense. I know there are some that will disagree with this, but I don't think a highly carnivorous diet is at all unhealthy....I guess it all depends on your bodily constitution and what your specific body needs. I'm a pitta type (what is your dosha ?), and it sounds like you (tg76) are too.

I'm quite a bit younger than Robbie, and although cigars and pipes have interested me I've never smoked. Maybe it is a generational thing... That said, excluding those that do opera all of my friends smoke.

DSC_6790.jpg

Old enough to remember Morrissey, though, huh.

I only smoke on occasion. It is nice now and then, often. Other times it randomly just seems gross and I put it right out. Stress levels maybe?

mad at myself, went mountain biking, didnt take camera cause who really cares where my ROY shorts have been, spectacular day with amazing scenery... oh well back to my marking and report writing

I'm back from my month of travels to NYC, Montreal, Japan and Hawaii.....

Here's a few pictures from along the way (I only had a camera in Japan and Hawaii).

A snowless Mt. Fuji. I've never been to Japan at a time without a snowcap before. The weather was unseasonably warm in Japan, getting up to 30degrees some days.

6319399153_a64357fce8_z.jpg

Roys in action in Sea Paradise

6319912522_16ffb882d6_z.jpg

Checking out the Moray eels

6319926304_ce44e4b233_z.jpg

Packed and ready for Hawaii

6319389099_2c099a2f59_z.jpg

A pretty special view

6319326865_f7c5165104_z.jpg

This beach was about 20m from our front door

6319373085_d941e570db_z.jpg

6319367227_0a918ec7dc_z.jpg

6319882556_34da055989_z.jpg

We had a trip into Waikiki and ate lunch here. This hot dog palace was featured on the great show - diners drive-ins and dives.

6319345821_4c042dd928_z.jpg

Cont...

German dog, what's up Almostnice.

6319867686_091e1353e3_z.jpg

Truffle Mac & Cheese

6319869444_32767fbbc3_z.jpg

More gratuitous beach action at Lanikai beach... My favorite.

6319876796_ecbee8a8fe_z.jpg

6319880552_dc3b6d97e6_z.jpg

Another Honolulu must visit spot.... What's up Roy?

6319872928_c478b9241b_z.jpg

A random car

6319333245_8f2e47bbcc_z.jpg

We ate here at Keneke's a couple of times. It was our local Hawaiian barbecue joint and pretty well known. Great food. Lenny was enjoying a slackening of the junk food rules.

6319856380_4216df1885_z.jpg

My roys did not get a look in in the heat here. This was before a wash and you cannot appreciate the stink of these things here...

6319316669_930df4dc6f_z.jpg

Drinks in the hot tub

6319896314_6f6d369974_z.jpg

Oh noes! Look what happened at the airport on my way home.

Thats what happens when you have a toddler, unlike Almostnice.

6319386791_c5a3e3dcd2_z.jpg

Love the photos Fresco. Really great.

Tonight I played in a recital at my conservatory.

Sadly, jeans weren't appropriate concert dress, but my Roy boxers were there. I'll spare you guys the pictures of those, but here's my concert black.

DSC_6815.jpg

I can't wear all black (too serious for me) so I wore crazy socks. I need to invest in a nice pair of dress shoes. If I ever make it out to the UK I'll definitely get fit for something better as I'll need them for the rest of my life as a musician.

DSC_6821.jpg

M didn't make the recital, but was quite dressed up for something else...

DSC_6814.jpg

Sadly, my playing wasn't so great, and my bass has an open seam that I'll have to get repaired as soon as possible. There goes any money towards fancy dress shoes. If my bass gets repaired and my performance goes any better next Saturday I'll upload it for you guys to hear.

They are the group buy socks. I'm a big fan. It looks like some people are going to try to put together another one soon. I need to email out the information I cataloged throughout the process, but I think they're a nice alternative to WM and the other socks that come in around 50 bucks a pair.

Thanks for the information of the B 10. I need to pick up a nice winter jacket, and I'm running out of time before it gets really cold.

I really dug the Mystic seaport as well.

Funny you should mention the Seaport. I worked there in the summer while I was in college. My job was, believe it or not, selling peanuts and popcorn. But, it involved taking care of and operating an enormous steam powered brass- and copper-clad popcorn wagon. The little steam engine powered the popper and the roaster, but I had to pull the wagon myself, of course. Last I heard, they weren't operating it anymore because "it was too hard to take care of". Little did they know that my contempt for their laziness would brew much greater troubles...

It just happened to be a beautiful day to visit the Seaport.

P1060473.jpg

Strolling through town, I decided how I'd exact my revenge...

P1060476.jpg

First order of business was visiting the ship's chandlery.

P1060480.jpg

I had some supplies that I needed.

P1060446.jpg

They were out of 2" cordage, so I had to go make me own.

P1060481.jpg

Then off to the Cooperage for some barrels...

P1060448.jpg

American chestnut! They don't make 'em like this anymore.

P1060449.jpg

I had to wait for an opportune moment...

P1060498.jpg

...and spent my last nickel on a pint of ale to calm the nerves.

P1060453.jpg

The shipsmith was busy at work, but I knew he napped at lunch time.

P1060477.jpg

So I waited some more, taking in the deep, salty air. My time has almost come...

P1060456.jpg

My plan to steal the Charles W Morgan was foiled when I realized she was up in dry dock for maintenance. The last wooden whaling ship in the world could have fetched a tidy sum on the Black Market.

P1060504.jpg

My mind quickly formed a Plan B as I stared intently into the Morgan's blubber pots.

P1060503.jpg

I grabbed hold of the rigging and swung off the starboard deck, landing smack next to the Joseph Conrad. She's a pretty ship, and she'll have to do!

P1060492.jpg

Feeling quite smug, I dreamt of many days of pillaging and plundering to come.

P1060489.jpg

All in a day's work, lads and ladies... all in a day's work.

f38db842.jpg

Damn killer few posts! Fre$co takes the cake. It looks like your son genuinely appreciated the fantastic opportunity you gave him to see some of the world! I think you and we are neck-and-neck for most well-traveled ROYxCones ;)