ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

^So cool!

Well, I have no photographic evidence, but I enjoyed today, my birthday, in my Roys! It turned out to mostly be a crazy day because I am packing for a fun adventure with my daughter over the next week, but it ended with a great dinner with friends. I won't have cell reception for the next week, so I'll catch up with you all (with photos!) when I get back...

Mike,

Be careful you don't catch rabies from a fox!

BTW, what shoes are you wearing in the mines?

Thanks for the warning, I was told by one other person the same thing. After the fox came close, he went over about 10 feet and laid down, like a dog? The shoes are from my favorite thrift store, they have the Good Year tire symbol on the bottom, they look old? Happy birthday Zissou, thanks for the kind words and rep all:)

Yessssss! Finally caught up courtesy of free wifi and iPhone! Zissou: congrats on the house sale and happy bday; Sansome: beautiful pics; ADH92: effing amazing, I woulda been quaking in my boots; riff: beautiful photos as always and I'm still loving the novelty of seeing you in broken-in jeans; TG: thanks for the out-of-Africa cheers and I'm excited to see how you reimagine the jeans; joseph hill: I love me some shenanigans and hope you post photos of how those tiles are given a new life; Paul T: loved reading the review, and when's the All Things Considered piece gonna air?

Plenty of photos over here, but not uploaded! Currently in the lower Himalayas at the Dalai Lama's stomping-grounds-in-exile.

We intended to spend the day in riff-land but we forgot our passports so we had to placate ourselves with a very short visit.

This is the library and opera house in Derby Line, Vermont and Stansted, Quebec. The border is to the left of the zebra pedestrian crossing.

2011-07-31095.jpg

It was purposely built over the international border as a sign of international cooperation. Needless to say, it is a source of great headaches now. The entrance is in the United States, but most of the building is in Canada. Canadians are allowed to walk into the United States to enter the building without going through customs, but are not allowed to go anywhere else.

Welcome to northern North America:

2011-07-31094.jpg

Welcome to central North America:

2011-07-31096.jpg

Here I am in my RxC straddling the international border in the reading room.

2011-07-31097.jpg

The second floor is a theater. The stage and some of the seating is in Canada, but most of the seating is in the United States. We have visited the auditorium before, but didn't have time for the tour this time.

2011-07-31092.jpg

2011-07-31093.jpg

On the way up to the border, we passed through an area where the smell of manure was very strong and I took some deep breaths as if I enjoyed the smell, so my daughter drew this picture:

2011-07-31091.jpg

Entertainment - great stuff! That house is amazing! Next time, remember your passports - Montreal is a blast!

Almostnice - can't wait to see you back!

Well, here's my weekly round-up…. In smaller photos - just for you, Roy6!

We're back to hosting visiting family & friends, after a week "off" the previous week. Lot's of BBQ's!

decd8a43.jpg

8acceae3.jpg

My sister goofing off, wearing a necklace made by the kids!

e90e50e8.jpg

Summertime means major construction everywhere, and for months now, our neighbourhood - like many others - has been ripped up, with workers laying pipes, cable & whatnot.

One afternoon, we get home and see this:

475e9192.jpg

My first reaction was - better check the phone lines. Sure enough, no dial-tone. I called our service provider right away… It took them 3 days to get it fixed. I also called the construction company and gave them shit for not even bothering to let us know that they had cut the cable.

After I got off the phone, I told my wife that it could have been worse, at least they didn't hit a gas line….

The next morning, our doorbell rings at 7 in the morning - I'm glad I was home & not out on a training ride. It was one of the workers. They had - you guessed it - hit a gas line, and were telling all the nearby residents to evacuate.

I pulled on my Roys, grabbed the family, the pups and my camera bag and we vacated the place. We were lucky that they allowed us to start the car. We dropped our daughter off at camp, then circled back to keep an eye on things.

By this point, the street had been closed off, the police & firemen were there, and somewhat stunned residents were standing around at a safe distance.

It starts to pour - of course. So we took the pups for a brief walk, then came back & I continued to snap photos.

The cop was really something… He bullied a couple of neighbours and demanded that they not take cell phone pics. He spent a good deal of time glaring at me (I had my Canon "cannon" pointed right at him) but was too intimidated to pick on me :P

43d78faf.jpg

The fire crew was great - hoses and canisters were out, in case of an explosion or fire, and everyone was awaiting the arrival of the gas crew to cap the leak.

fb3306f1.jpg

8ba8454f.jpg

They finally arrived - an hour later - and got to work. Fortunately, it wasn't one of the main lines that had been ruptured, but the smell was everywhere. It only took them about 5 minutes to cap it.

8076d246.jpg

Once all that was over, one of the guys came in to the house with us to check for any remnants of gas. We got a clean bill of health. So we got our sopping wet selves dried off. By then the rain had stopped, so we took the pups for a longer walk.

Post rain goodness:

5693b7f2.jpg

0858b537.jpg

After all that excitement, we decided that a relaxing day at the beach was in order! Jeans were left in the car, and we headed for the water

Beachy scenes

a9f33f42.jpg

2a6976f9.jpg

41d3e6a3.jpg

51b365b0.jpg

Pups had a blast…

dd052545.jpg

And made new friends!

37dedb79.jpg

Just for you Ordo!

9270a4ba.jpg

And that's… The End!

7c30fe33.jpg

finally got time, thanks to crap weather, to finish down sizing my ROYs

used my shitty old domestic machine for the straight seams

crap1.jpg

mega train tracks... and the train will derail

crap2w.jpg

hemmed up using industrial and fat as thread

crap3w.jpg

didnt change shape much, mostly de frumped, sorry crappy pics to match my mood

crap4t.jpg

crap5.jpg

crap6f.jpg

just noticed i forgot to re topstitch the top of the side seams, ooops, they are in the bath now, will do that later when i put new mismatched rivets in

Well, here's my weekly round-up…. In smaller photos - just for you, Roy6!

Thank you for humoring me in my myopic dotage. Now that I can actually see your pics in their entirety, I guess they aren't nearly so blurry and poorly composed as I had thought.

Especially nice one of the dog frolicking in the surf.