ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Nice posts tg & roy6. Cool pics Farhad

Paul, you were in NYC??!!?? Hope you enjoyed yourself

Not much going on so far this week but I noticed a tear in my Tanner bag, so I bought some supplies from Tandy Leather and did a rough stitching job. I'm no surgeon.

IMG_0667.jpg

My Roys and I picked this up from Kinokuniya

IMG_0673.jpg

My Roys currently have these cds in rotation

IMG_0675.jpg

Yes, the Golden Child. John Barry's unused score is great and doesn't fit the movie at all.

I've just finished booking flights....

In October I will be visiting:

New York

Montreal

Tokyo

Honolulu

I'm also driving to France for 2 weeks on Friday.

Do I get a special airmiles award?

holy crap. can i come? that should be a blast.

another invasion of another friends home on another countryside yesterday.

400 squaremeters livingspace for two people are not too bad.

5960154873_b2a833598c_z.jpg

plus two dogs

5960154571_82fc9673ce_z.jpg

and a tortoise

5960154331_6c6343cb46_z.jpg

its in fact a Leopard tortoise which will reach a size of ca. 60 cm when full-grown.

5960712786_6c50005cd9_z.jpg

some roses

5960714412_fa6d66fea2_z.jpg

some stoneroses,or Sempervivum for you,Roy6

5960714616_c0a11f1b5e_z.jpg

5960714816_ed794e472c_z.jpg

5960715014_6308e1ed6e_z.jpg

been away for a couple of weeks and i come back and see some really amazing updates from all of you. tried to rep where i could, but for those i couldn't, i had to spread. this is by far one of the few reasons why i still come on here, always nice to see everyone's updates with what you guys have. sorry if i have missed anybody out, its late into the night.

markus, your posts never fail to crack me up. the post you did a couple of days back gave me good vibes about german literature (children's books and newspapers). i like how you are going to get some therapy for your back, gentle things like basket weaving will be good for you. don't go around too much trying to memorise scientific names of plants. you might get old and cranky. also, strange habit that you have to always be looking into dustbins for questionable material. hmmmm.

farhad, nice to see you post here. your recent pictures are great, loved the recent set where you and cory took the trip to mike's place. his dog looks really chill and it looks like you guys had some good oranges. dont get too busy with work and forget to slow down to smell the roses!

fre$co, i can see those holiday plans of yours working. seriously the 4 best places and top ones that i want to head to my list. traveling is always good, i have recently been back from travels and it was good to get away from reality for a while. hope you enjoy yours! i can see where you got that dollar sign in your userid from. ha.

paul, you old git it looks like you had a blast and too many beers in NY. great stuff you saw there and it was good to meet entertainment! while you're at it. gives him something to post. ha. oh and i haven't forgotten something that you have with me. just need time to get around to making a trip to the post office. ha!

roy6 you've got a pair of winner on your hands, so keep working hard on it with the sandpaper. we know you've been doing a little abrasing during gardening with your squats but its okay, you deserve some new underwear if you win!

zissou glad to see you enjoying your new job. you sound like a great teacher going out to get pictures and specimens and all.. that belt you did for markus looks great in one of his pictures, very nice leather and all. i must kick myself for missing out on that but hey, i still have the one you made me a while ago which i havent put to good use, im saving it for a good day!

riff always good to see your pictures, the great canada looks good and your pup looks great with the cut. always tempting with the new food pictures i see! always living vicariously through your pictures.

This Sunday well cultured man you are, always heading out to exhibitions and parks i see. hope you liked the latest harry potter, i thought it was a bit of a let down from the previous one. its always the case with closing movies for me.

robbie great with all the food and all but you be watching your weight. you're not getting young anymore and i've recently found out that i put on 13kgs from all my adventures. horror! you dont want to not be able to fit into those pants dont you. haha.

ADH92 time to do those pants some justice and post up some of those wonderful pictures that you have! i'm waiting and dying from the agony!

I guess the 30+ 100F and above degree days did a number on my pair. My nephew told me I smelled like poop. Decided it was time to wash the jeans again. A little tide, a little borax, and a spin in the washing machine. We'll see how they look in the morning after they've hung outside. Its 10pm and 95 degrees. :mad:

The 'Balloon' pants haven't gone into production, so those aren't an option. The Samurai SO210XJ 'Jins' which I just picked up (thanks to 'not too tight') have a similar pocket cut with a hickory stripe pocket lining. The denim is absolutely nothing like the Roy's in any other way though.

http://blueingreensoho.com/site/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=6891&category_id=&manufacturer_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

My spare pants while the RxC are being washed, the LVC Lot 66, have similar pockets - even the 'watch' pocket is in a similar location. But they're faded 2/1 denim and different in almost every other respect. I came to the RxC from the MF Riders, and they're terrific jeans in much the same way, wonderful cut, fantastic denim.

the last couple of days have been outrageously hot. today we've got a heat index of 115 F . Tried to wear my Roys outside, but its just too much. But all this time inside has given me lots of time to play with garage band.

homeward-mode?permalinkhttp://erikmountain.bandcamp.com/track/homeward-mode

I finished up this song today.

5964362509_8133656698_z.jpg

Just got this thing a few weeks ago. totally opened up the world of midi. I use it for playing drums and keys and such. a great addition to any home recording arsenal.

I had a quick run round before the plane home. Makeup for the mrs, nintendo game for the nipper and spent some cash on myself. It was well-deserved.

$5 Save Japann tote from here. Nice shop.

Qualitymending.jpg

And I went to a good, swanky guitar shop. And blew a dollar.

picks.jpg

A last meal.

sushi-1.jpg

Squid, mackerel, scallop, octopus, surf clam, eel, and yellowtail rolls. For $9.99. That's, plus a transatlantic planefare, is about the price of an equivalent meal in London.

Finally, home, wonderful. Picked up the nipper from school - and he loved his surprise present, built within a few minutes. (He's checked out the sodas as the Guggenheilm Bilbao and rates 'em).

guggenheim.jpg

Friday was terrific… school dropoff and collection - last day of term, and for these Year 6 kids, last day at Primary School. Lots of tears. It was very affecting - nipper has this next year.

lastdayofschool.jpg

We had to run straight off, train and a cab to get here:

bushhouse.jpg

Bush House has to date from the same period as Grand Central, 1915 or 1920 - it was built by an American company, I think, and then leased by the BBC. We had Broadcasting House earlier.. this is the BBC's other old building, always used for the World Service, which broadcasts overseas. Churchill and De Gaulle would often broadcast to occupied Europe from here.

Is this De Gaulle's mic??

atthemic.jpg

My interview was for NPR (not PBS< your'e right RObbie), who have a bureau in the building, for a prog should go out this weekend called All THings Considered. Good fun, out in half an hour and the NPR engineer Stewart, the fella on my right, was a real sweetie, didn't mind being an impromptu babysitter, letting the nipper fiddle with the faders while I did the radio show.

atthebeeb.jpg

BBC faders, by the way, are the only ones in the world where the volume goes down as you push them away from you, designed supposedly to prevent overloads if the presenter or engineer fainted.

Then into town that evening… past Saint Paul's, and Temple Bar, an old gate into an ancient part of London, home to a roman Temple.

templebar.jpg

Don't know why but this reminds me of an old joke, of a New York tourist who's been shown round London by a guide, looks at some Medieval church and asks:

"say, is that pre-War?"

"No, madam," replies the guide in a haughty tone, "it's pre-America."

After a (very bad sushi) meal in town, to make up for me eating the stuff without them, back home…

home-1.jpg

Finally, today… I feel for people like ThisSUnday and Not Too TIght - I could have worn these pants unwashed for another month or two in Europe. But a week in NYC - running for trains, stuck in hot subway stations - did for them a bit. They were permanently damp with sweat throughout the day, and suddenly the crotch was wearing real fast (mmm, hope mrs t doesn't notice).

butt.jpg

turnups.jpg

So… all i need is a hot day for them to dry out. Could be some time…

washtime.jpg

... for a prog should go out this weekend called All THings Considered...[/Quote]

Hell yes, (and out of curiosity do you mean the NPR program 'All Things Considered?) !!! When/etc ? I'll be sure to tune in, that's awesome.

also, random but I never thought i'd see a Black Lips advert on SuFu.

I've just finished booking flights....

In October I will be visiting:

New York

Montreal

Tokyo

Honolulu

I'm also driving to France for 2 weeks on Friday.

Do I get a special airmiles award?

Sounds like fun, hopefully you'll be in Tokyo when the Inazuma festival will be taking place.

I hope you enjoyed your trip back to the States, Paul. I liked reading your updates.

My Roys and I made it through another day of class (photos tomorrow), so only one more to go!

I was enjoying the fact that I finally had an offer on the house, but am now feeling like I'm being nickel and dimed! On the one hand, it's a shitty market (four people saw the house in three months, and only one offer), so I feel like I should just unload it. On the other hand, I hate having to bend over and take one for the team. There are so many good reasons to just sell the house at this point, but I don't stand to walk away with much money at all from the sale. I hate decisions like this...

Still caught up in negotiations over the house, and trying to relax a little! Saturday started out the usual way, with coffee and pastries down at the bakery.

Class went great again yesterday. Historically, almost all of the mountains in Utah were stripped of timber and over grazed in the 50 years after pioneers first arrived. I'm not sure if you can tell in this photo, but the mountains were bare for many years. It's one of those cases where things just weren't better back in the good ol' days.

p0000148.jpg

We had a forester spend the day with us and teach us about sustainable forestry. This is a photo of a hillside where an experimental clear cut was made in the spruce about 55 years ago. You can see how slow it is to recover. The rest of the hillside was logged using sustainable practices three times since then. The difference is remarkable.

6280094e.jpg

Here we are measuring tree heights with our Biltmore sticks, and when coupled with diameter, we calculate board-feet of timber in a particular tree.

c3c097dc.jpg

All in all, it was a beautiful day up in the High Uintas. The wildflowers were spectacular! This photo was taken at about 9,000 ft.

e8ab2045.jpg

Back to today, just hanging out with Coconut the corn snake. We're taking care of him for a couple weeks. He's a very friendly snake, and always wants to crawl into our shirts. Time to feed him his weekly baby mouse!

77b16ec7.jpg

Brave snake, smelling that denim with his tongue...

5a119391.jpg

Mmm, wild raspberries ruined me for store-bought ones...

Little over six months. They'll surely need a third wash once my class ends next week.

31383ec2.jpg

2c2dbaac.jpg

Lookin great there zissou. I should have some pics up tomorrow. I hand washed mine today and they are currently drying.

said good bye to mr for a few weeks

bye1.jpg

came home, kept all my layers on cause i couldnt be bothered with the heater

bye2.jpg

made crappy pizzas, gluten free base made from potato flour

bye3.jpg

going to curl up with a book and be a sad arse now

Of the eight nights I've slept in in India so far, I've spent three of them in my ROYxCones. And I'm pretty sure I win the award for the first ROYxCones to ride a camel.

Hi from India! Looks like I'll have a lot to catch up on when I have reliable internet...

Chin up, TG... Maybe you can occupy yourself with daily RxC postings, and more of your gluten free plum pizzas? We'll get through this together.

Lookin great there zissou. I should have some pics up tomorrow. I hand washed mine today and they are currently drying.

Thanks, man. Looking forward to seeing yours!

Well, it seems we've come to an agreement on the sale price of my old house! It's not as good as I would have liked, but it's a terrible market, and it's time to just sell the house. Now, I just feel like going to sleep for half a day. And, buying those Aldens I've always wanted...