ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

I'm pretty sure four washes: one super-hot machine wash in Uganda, one cold machine wash in India, one super-hot machine wash when I got home and one hot bathtub light-agitation wash at the end there. Might have been a second Ugandawash in there, though - can't quite remember.

And they smell fine because they're clean.

Dropped 'em off at SELA for repairs this weekend - looking forward to having them in wearable shape again soon!

Also tg - this is admittedly a bit of a weird question, but given that you were (I think) the most adamant ROY boxer-wearer, do your boxers show any significant or interesting wear patterns?

Edited by dkatz

yeah i hand washed / soaked mine about 6 times before i could wear them and not be smurfed

they even fell of my bike with me when i popped a couple of ribs at the beginning of the year, but no scuff marks of nothing

a good year, yeah

go again!

Roy should wait to do a jacket for about a year, so I don't feel guilty buying it right after the ranch blouse.

As someone who has enjoyed participating in this contest immensely but has absolutely no chance of winning, I am curious about why we are going to pre-vote before the outside judges get involved. Looking through the picture thread doesn't really take very long. If I were a judge, I would want to be able to pick the winner from among all the contestants.

As to having someone who didn't participate much in the thread become the winner, I guess it is possible, but unlikely. The people who participated the most are also the people with the most evolved fades.

If the contest participants are so anxious to vote, perhaps there could be a parallel vote. It would be interesting to see how the results compared with the selections of the outside judges.

In the end, I don't really care what path the judging takes, but to me, having the outside judges make their own selection from among all the participants just makes more sense.

I don't really care how the judging is done. but entertainment is right, the most frequent posters are also the hardest faders.

just looking at the pictures thread I counted 15 submissions. I just hope everyone who got a pair posts their pictures. I know all you in the EU and UK have more time but as far as the US goes, we haven't heard anything from eltopo, farhad, and medine.

Let me throw my hat in and say I agree with entertainment too. I think the judges should see all pairs.

I say this as someone who has enjoyed the thread immensely and really loved these jeans. I think the contestant selection was pretty damn good by the inner circle apart from the unforseen, unfortunate and sometimes surprising absences.

Edited by fre-co

I personally (obviously) prefer that the contestants have a hand in the voting. We were the ones most involved in this in the day-to-day and have the best idea of the "softer" factors that we decided matter in this contest - thread participation, quality of posts, etc. I agree the judges may be best able to determine which fades are win-worthy (though I admit I have no idea what that rubric would consist of), but we participants should have our say.

I'll pitch in (for whatever it's worth) and agree with entertainment, insomuch as a parallel vote would be a good idea.

It would be fun to see how the two sets of results compare. Lets face it, the contest has been a great sharing experience for most, but let the judges do their job as we as participants have done ours, otherwise an element of favoritism could seep in - or worse :D

just my tuppence worth.

A parallel vote is a good idea. with the judges vote counting for the 'official' winner.

I don't think this should be a popularity contest but a contest of the best looking pair of jeans. Having other factors involved will, in my opinion, just detract from the contest. If the best looking pair of jeans doesn't win because the wearer was not one of the constant popular posters, then it would be a shame.

I think there is a risk of the contest just becoming about who likes who, and very cliquey with certain posters commanding votes simply because they are popular around sufu. This may not happen but there is a risk.

Look on the label of your Roy contest jeans, what does it say?

"A jeanswearing contest" (or something similar - I don't have a pair for reference!).

Not posting the most pictures or being popular, just wearing them thar jeans.

Ithangyou...

yes, it is a jeans wearing contest

but

we all agreed at the start to make a big effort to post regular updates etc

something about they journey not the destination

15 havent even bothered posting their final pics up (yeah paul still has a minute to go and one pair are missing) let the excuses about busy lives start rolling in

blahblahblah

Just for reference:

From Paul T's first email about the contest:

If, by the way, you reckon you're not up for this, please let us know so we can alert other people. We want everyone who orders these jeans to commit to wearing them for a year, and providing updates, which we can also put on the Cone website, so this is a competition for people who'll wear these jeans, not put them in the closet.

From the first page of the contest:

Quick points:

1: THis is for people who will wear these jeans, no closet keepers.

2: Do not hassle Roy; he's busy.

3: Each person who gets a pair promises to provide photo updates. These might be used by Roy, or Cone on their website, and of course to give us a happening SuFU thread.

4: Re sizing; follow Roy's advice, but it's your decision. These are a labor of love for Roy. Don't hassle him, or us, please.

Is it so much to ask that the judges read through all 129 pages of the thread? :) I don't mind how it goes. It does look like the most frequent posters ended up with some of the best fades. I, on the other hand, am the exception. I managed to post little, but come out with the best fades. Also, fit. Best fit is right here on my legs.

past rnr got left by the wayside. lets remember that we can't fuck with the time continuum and I am destined to win this contest. So for all of your own sakes, it is necessary that you vote for me. Do it not for me, but for humanity and time.

Edited by rnrswitch

With the other contestants voting for the final five to present to the judges, looks like it would eliminate the possibility of someone who didn't really participate winning. i can't see most people here voting for someone who hasn't posted their updates, no matter how good their jeans look.