ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Ahah, good eyes, guys! They are the black alpine LWBs with the double oak sole. I've been wanting some black calf shoes for everyday wear, and santa came through! :)

thanks for sharing them! E has grown up quite a lot and is turning into a fine young lady! happy holidays, you deserve the break after a crazy year!

Yeah, what a year it's been! All for the better, though. The crazy thing is, E's only 8! She's up to my armpit, and I'm 6'2". People ask me if she's 11.

Nice zissou, however that 'little cottage' would be a mansion for most people in Britain! We live in the smallest houses in Europe, apparently.

That house is probably about 1500 sqft, so not too big (by US standards). There is siomething to be said for living in small houses, though. Mine is 950 sqft, and it's the perfect size.

To the esteemed Mr. Hill,

I commend you on your transformation! I was in the process of posting a cheque directly to you when I noticed that the size of the organ did not increase due to your regimen. I think it could use some improvements before it can be marketed to other men folk.

Sincerely,

Mr. Z

(in case there was any question as to wtf I was talking about late last night, I was referring to the wooden organ... in the background!)

Edited by zissou

In the home stretch now- where you people at?

For the first time in years, I'm actually enjoying the week off in between Xmas and New Year's, rather than working on a house. My daughter and I decided to take a friend of hers to the big city for the day. It all started with a hearty pizza lunch.

52fe84f2.jpg

Heading across town, I snapped a photo of this mural ad for robbie.

fb07b501.jpg

Our primary destination was the brand new Natural History Museum of Utah. It was rather mobbed since it's the holidays.

06b2a041.jpg

The architecture is amazing. I pity the builders with all of these crazy angles and slopes.

aa2ab3d0.jpg

Stopped by to see the ol' family.

5031c698.jpg

I saw this pronghorn, and it stood very still in hopes that we wouldn't notice it.

0118b20a.jpg

Oh, hello!

80f7212c.jpg

Let's build some rivers

5bb0a24f.jpg

and be an archaeologist for a few minutes

50ce8ad3.jpg

With some naturalist thrown in for good measure.

7c5ff4a3.jpg

Edited by zissou

On to the dinosaurs! I was impressed by this horned dinosaur evolutionary tree.

fe659763.jpg

Poor, Barosaurus being pestered by that Allosaurus.

805d6e50.jpg

Somehow, I got tricked into smelling the dead dinosaur. Disgusting!

d24cc3cd.jpg

Aww, cute little dire wolf. I think I'll take it home.

dbf5065d.jpg

It was a fun few hours, and we were all pretty worn out. We hit a few shops on the way out of town, and it seems everyone had a great time.

See you later!

dd7eeda2.jpg

Edited by zissou

Congrats everyone, its been an amazing ride...Crazy to think that a little over a year ago I was soaking these babies and prepping to wear when the ball dropped...Had a few laughs from family/friends when I ran to the bathroom to change into the Roy's and sad I had to sell them in the end. Still a pleasure to follow everyone's journey in these, can't wait to see final pics!

Posted (edited) · Hidden by dkatz, December 30, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by dkatz, December 30, 2011 - No reason given

almost there, indeed!

i think you all will enjoy where i'm living to end out this year. unfortunately it's just a temporary sub-let until the end of january, by which time i'll hopefully have found a "real" home in la. but in the meantime... i'm loving this!

img_5526.jpg

img_5527.jpg

img_5528.jpg

img_5514.jpg

img_5524.jpg

img_5513.jpg

img_5517.jpg

img_5521.jpg

img_5522.jpg

img_5530.jpg

Edited by dkatz

Almost there, indeed!

I think you all will enjoy where I'm living to end out this year. Unfortunately it's just a temporary sub-let until the end of January, by which time I'll hopefully have found a "real" home in LA. But in the meantime... I'm loving this!

IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5527.JPG

IMG_5528.jpg

IMG_5514.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

IMG_5513.jpg

IMG_5517.JPG

IMG_5521.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg

IMG_5530.JPG

great pics zissou and dkatz! the museum looks amazing and right in the middle of nowhere. is it really what it seems like?

dkatz i think that is some wonderful accommodation. considering the fact that you were sleeping in the desert for your trip. i think when i was about 5, i wanted to own one of those trailers and go on a road trip. still seems like a good idea to me now that you put up those photos!

can't wait to see everyone's final submission pictures already. been a great great year this one!

Quick question to all you royboys (and gals).

What jeans/chinos/slacks/tights/skirts etc will you all be sporting in 2012 once your time in the Roy's is done?

OOooh.

Will continue to occasionally wear the RxC contest jeans, plus I've been wearing my Roy OG's for three months (love the forties cut Roy gave 'em) so will continue to wear those.

Also have some freshly soaked Lvc 33's (from 2004) which sport a big cuff, so I'm not sure about those.

And a pair of raw SC47's (older model with tab and arcs), which will probably be my main wearers.

Plus still have my 55's, barely worn after one wash (from 2003) which may get some attention.

Then there's my 1915 201's, 1963 551Z's and my 1930 Lee 101's (enough to keep me going for a couple of years at least!)

Love the new digs, dkatz! I can imagine it might get old after a while, but there's something very appealing about living in an airstream :) Have fun!

zissou, I assume there were some religious folks at the museum, able to gauge their reaction to exhibits that differ quite a bit from Mormonism's view of history?

Yeah, there were plenty of people who seemed to agonize over personal explanations for some of the timelines and evolutionary trees (especially that of humans). Some of the conversations were amusing to listen to, but they got pretty tired after a while. Mormonism is even quite different from most other forms of Christianity, so the explanations are even more colorful.

great pics zissou and dkatz! the museum looks amazing and right in the middle of nowhere. is it really what it seems like?

It's on the very edge of the city, in the foothills of the mountains. If I pointed the camera the other way, all you'd see is city. The outside of the museum is clad in copper and brass, and it's weathered enough that it disappears among the mountain side. It was almost like the scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade where Indy crosses that stone bridge on the way to the grail.

What jeans/chinos/slacks/tights/skirts etc will you all be sporting in 2012 once your time in the Roy's is done?

I'll mostly be wearing the Cabourn, ARN Mercantile, Beams+, and RRL trousers that have sat in the closet the past year. I'll still wear these jeans and my MFSCs from time to time, too.

Edited by zissou

Since it's down to the wire, and my 'wear 'em loose' strategy has slowed down progress in the blue and white Jackson Pollock department, I figured a more agressive washing strategy might be in order.

Alright guys, push the button for the deluxe wash!

carwash2.jpg

Bleah! Shouldn't have gone for the hot wax...

carwash1.jpg

Results were a success! And just so's y'know, we now have a new one of these in town!

roysherrif.jpg

For work - Left Field indigo duck chinos (with Cat's Paw work chinos for replacement when needed)

For leisure - Edwin Vintage Collection 506, Wrangler Japanese Blue Bell 1964 11mwb, Oni 1001-HM

One other thing- Those of you wearing a belt from me, remember that it's a mini contest! Post two photos of your belt once you've worn it for a full year. I think they arrived mid January, but it would probably make sense to post photos sooner rather than later...

Looking good, LITS! Last day for me! It's a Saturday, so you know the drill...

b064e23b.jpg

Is that a quiche? Looks good no matter what.

Edited by rnrswitch

Happy New Year, and Anniversary to those who wore their pants on the 1st! Post pics of the celebration, especially your last day, if you can.

Just had a long trip down from the north, and off to a party in a moment. Really I need a lie down, but gotta get out and about for that next 3 weeks of wear.

Thanks to all the participants for making this a great year... even if it's not over yet for some of us...