ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

thanks for the love, all. i do have a few more india pictures (about 2,450) I could put up, but i don't want to just completely photo-bomb the thread (especially since i still want to put up some from germany and istanbul). actually i was planning on putting all of my india highlights (110 total) in a picasa album - I'll just post a link to that here once i've done so.

glad you guys liked that dude-with-beard photo too. that was a result of being pretty fantastically bored on the train, screwing around with hipstamatic and seeing if i could take a picture of someone really close up without him noticing. victory! also i really want to draw that dude's profile.

Yeah i know the Enfields (actually they once again have rights to Royal Enfield) are still being made in India. I actually have a bit of a collection of Enfield photos from India. I'm not surprised to hear they're made like crap, but good god are the gorgeous, and super fun to ride as well!

zissou- I actually think that sounds like fun. i'm sure the recipient will have a good idea who the sender is from the return address, but the rest of us can guess just from the contents!

Edited by dkatz

Daniel, those photos are just gorgeous!! What an amazing trip! I'm really curious to hear the story about that night spent in the desert! :).

Life has been insane here. Our executives decided that they want to "delight" one of our major clients by getting their implementation done early. So instead of an end-of-January go-live, we're shooting for end of December. So my teams & I will pretty much be working non-stop right through the holidays :(

So just a quick pic for now - I'm going back to the offices for the evening :(

6522683259_d5986ec485_z.jpg

I don't think my present will be a secret - the parcel will have a big fat "Australian Air Mail" on it.

Nice photos dkatz!

It's amazing the amount of travelling you've done this year :)

Poor you sweapea, but at least you have nice pants to wear at the office! :P

i r a blonde. i didnt even think about secret santa being secret once received and signed the note.

pretty obvious who it was from anyways unless you live under a rock

my ROYs and i rearranged the house today while it rained, again, and went out in the rain to prune some trees

tomorrow we are making a pretty girlie dress to wear to a wedding

@Sweapea

Sorry to hear you'll be grafting right over the chrimbo period, that really sucks. Hope santa brings you something to cheer you up?

Roys lookin good teamed up with your N-2B btw.

Thank you and Not to worry dr_heech! We have a Charlie brown-ish tree set up on the floor, and everyone is bringing pot luck for the evening of the 24th. Good camaraderie is the best part of stuff like this :)

Agreed, sweapea! E and I were with friends every night this past weekend. My Roys and I hosted one stop on the neighborhood progressive Christmas party last night, which was a blast. A lot of my friends live nearby, and I met several new people. There were probably 30 people packed into my tiny house! Lots of drinking and eating... I made my famous smoked salmon and swiss knishes, which were a big hit. Too crazy, forgot to take photos. E stayed up late, and I barely dragged her out of bed to walk to school this morning. I promptly walked back and made a second coffee.

Alright! Here's my Secret Santa gift.

DSC_7416copy.jpg

An Apolis pocket square, kitenge bandana, denim scraps from Roy's trashcan, and an emergency can opener (that functions quite well to remove the crap from under your nails). I have to say, this gift is above and beyond anything I expected. It's probably pretty easy to guess who it's from, but I just wanted to say thank you!

^ oh wow I wish i was your secret santa recipient, and the gift was a few of those knishes!

I ate the first one, and the last one. Sorry, man! I wish I had remembered to take a photo.

IMG_3027.jpg

Woah, did they play all of them?? I am trying to figure out which one to give my daughter this year. At this point, she doesn't have Princess Mononoke and Porco Rosso, but there's a lot of fighting in them. I'm looking forward to The Secret World of Arrietty coming out...

Edited by zissou

Alright! Here's my Secret Santa gift.

DSC_7416copy.jpg

An Apolis pocket square, kitenge bandana, denim scraps from Roy's trashcan, and an emergency can opener (that functions quite well to remove the crap from under your nails). I have to say, this gift is above and beyond anything I expected. It's probably pretty easy to guess who it's from, but I just wanted to say thank you!

Wha?? The hell? who is re-gifting their kitenge bandanna?!?

Good stuff Zissou and ThisSunday.

This year I only get Christmas day off :( but managed to get a few (well, quite a few) shots of the Roys prior to having their final machine wash before the contest ends.

Sorry about the focusing, when I go to full manual on my GF's camera the pics come out in black and white(?) Plus it's really poor lighting this time of the year.

Cant wait to wash 'em as they're greasy as hell!

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

the nipper had his school concert last week, doubling on cello and bass. For the latter, they did an electric version of Rockin' Robin and dressed up in 50s gear - so he was dressed, all more or less courtesy of Robbie, in Levi's 302 and a 50s pleated front jacket. His hair was superbly slicked back in a DA at the start of the evening... by the end it was gaining its freedom and it looked a bit more... Huey Lewis? They sounded great..

nipper.jpg

Finally patched the Roys, handwashed the cuffs and pockets, after two or three weeks off.

Roy2.jpg

Camera's playing up for some reason, they're a lot darker than this in the flesh, having had just one full wash.

I like the fading around the pocket rivet - and you can see the outline of the "R" on the pocket.

rivet.jpgR.jpg

roymain.jpg

I got a nice package in the mail. First off some very nice bits. Harris tweed cap, super awesome patch, and bank bag (dang things empty, sheesh!)

SS1.jpg

But then there was this...

doll2.jpg

What the hell is this? I hope it didn't cost much as it's going in the bottom of a heavy trunk with a big brass railroad padlock. The thing freaks me out.

I mean, did the sender have any idea at all about my personality, or what I'm like? I mean really just phoning it in here.

doll1.jpg

Edited by Joseph Hill