ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

nice. they even have a mature audiences warning on their video.

speaking of bands and posting more photos...I wish this one looked better.

375332_2658885993479_1295778102_33004349_210844132_n.jpg

we went on a little mini tour with our good buddies from college - Future Islands - they've really been making a name for themselves these days and it was great seeing our friends enjoying such success...and allowing us to tag along. I wish the photo was nicer, but at least its got some nice iPhone flash zombie eyes.

dope! I was just at the Bowery Ballroom show. Killer.

I think robbie was probably joking around here, and encouraging said slackers to post some pics. Since we'll all be voting on the final five contestants to submit to the judges (is that right dkatz?), everyone will get their say. Since the judges probably won't have followed the thread as closely as we have, maybe that is the time to reward the "intangibles", those qualities the contestants brought to the contest which you wouldn't see just looking at the jeans.

Speaking of the judges, the lineup has changed slightly:

Carl Chiara (formally of Levi's/LVC)

Ralphe Tharpe (formerly of Cone)

ringring (currently of ringing)

and...

(drumroll)

Christophe Loiron (of Mister Freedom).

Mr. Chiara and Mr. Loiron were gracious enough to participate, and I imagine they both know a well worn pair of jeans when they see one. They both looked through the thread and had nice things to say about the jeans and their respective journeys.

Mr. Tharpe hasn't confirmed yet, but if he can't do it Roy will.

Sounds awesome! It will definitely be interesting to see how the judges lean by comparison to us. roy6- do you plan on giving them any guidance/rubric for their judging or do you want to just see what they decide? And will each of them tell us his vote, or will we have them confer behind closed doors and come out with a winner?

Does anyone remember who was the last person to receive his jeans (paul or pomata I think) and what date he received them? It'll be each contestant's responsibility to take their final submission photos as close as possible to the anniversary of the receipt of the jeans by their original owner, but then I figure we should all wait to actually post our submissions until everyone has passed one year (hence my question) - rather than having sporadic final-entry posts over the course of however many weeks. I suppose we should make a deadline for final-entry posts - let's say one week after the last contestant finishes his/her year.

After the final entry deadline has passed, I say we allow a week for everyone to PM (or email) his/her votes for their 3 favorites (reminder: voting for almostnice is prohibited; voting for rnr is allowed but comes at the cost of -1 vote for yourself).

For the sake of clarity, here's the plan as I understand it:

- In the week after the last person finishes his/her year, each contestant submits her/his 5-picture final entry

- in the following week, each contestant (plus any former contestants who stayed involved) PMs or emails me with their top three choices for "winner"

- I post the votes for public review (yay transparency! I learned something from living under a dictator president!). Factored in to this will be a handicap/advantage for the Four Founding Fathers.

- top five vote-getters' posts are somehow sent to the four judges

- [...]

- judges tell us who is the prettiest girl at the ball.

[- if almostnice wins, all other contestants commit ritual suicide]

- ROY emerges from the aether with a prize for almostnice the winner

Why is this just being shared now? I feel like we need another year just to follow lostinthesupermarket around.

Seconded.

Also does my "what the fuck?" reaction to that video/song mostly due to my lack of Britishness? Or is it actually a seriously what-the-fuck kinda situation?

So is that lostinthesupermarket for reals, or just a ploy by Roy6 to get lostinthesupermarket out of hiding? I want to know, cuz I love that song.

That's video is hilarious. It took me three listens before I could figure out the lyrics.

Today, my Roys and I sat on the committee of a graduate student who was defending her thesis. I almost wore trousers and a tie, but I thought the casual nature and overall enjoyable qualities of the Roys would put her more at ease. She did just fine, but not before I grilled her with questions. Pre-defense question writing in the library....

8aa9a889.jpg

What was the thesis on? Anything interesting? What do you teach?

Personally, I teach field courses for adults. They focus on the major ecosystems of Utah- watersheds, deserts, and mountains. I'm going to start teaching kids again soon, which will be fun. The student's thesis involved assessing knowledge gain and attitude change resulting from a particular environmental education program. She had some interesting results, and she did a great job presenting them and answering my questions.

seconded.

Also does my "what the fuck?" reaction to that video/song mostly due to my lack of Britishness? Or is it actually a seriously what-the-fuck kinda situation?

Think of the dance-move fadez and horse fadez. He'd better post those babies.

Things have been slow out here in central Nebraska. Been staying inside where it's warm, not doing anything outside I don't have to.

382597_10150406766161835_508016834_8900484_1891858714_n.jpg

After 7 inches Saturday we're getting more today. Kind of kills a day off.

393288_10150406781501835_508016834_8900579_1264011409_n.jpg

Watching movies.

388885_10150406780411835_508016834_8900563_547218925_n.jpg

The jeans were getting a bit smelly,so I decided to wash them.*

389561_10150406780106835_508016834_8900558_1192483945_n.jpg

eating.

not terrible, but the cabin fever is beginning to set in.

382988_10150406792926835_508016834_8900718_531310681_n.jpg

*- only kidding, I have to wear blue to the new job and rit dyed some t-shirts.

Edited by robbie

Don't go too stir crazy robbie! Embrace winter - get outside and build a rit-dyed snowman ;)

Great to see everyone checking in! I'm so sorry for my lack of updates. Things are insane at work, since one of our clients has a huge implementation that will be going live in a couple of weeks.

So I've been living at the office, in my Roy's of course! I'll post some pics when I can!

A couple friends and I went back to campus tonight because we heard there was a bit of a folk concert, so we thought we'd check it out. As I read through the list of acts, a name sounded a bit familiar. One of the bands was called Seafinch. Well, what do you know?? It was indeed our very own Seafinch! I really enjoyed his set, and had a moment afterwards to go say hi and chat a little. The promise of beers near the end of the year was made...

(oh, that's a crap photo, but that's really him on the right!)

03024db3.jpg

Edited by zissou

Here's some stuff from the past week

Surf Rock

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

Went to see Sleep No More. Sorry no pics but I recommend it to everyone . Very interesting experience. It's sort of a play. You're given a mask and you explore several rooms and follow actor while trying to piece to together the story. There's no talking but apparently it's based on Macbeth. If anyone goes make sure you have comfortable footwear.

IMAG0551.jpg

Saw Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings.

IMG_2861.jpg

Sugarman 3 opened

IMG_2886.jpg

Dap Kings

IMG_2896.jpg

Sharon Jones

IMG_2912.jpg

ThisSunday

IMG_2878.jpg

Saw this house the other day and took a pic. I haven't seen many houses with so many decorations

IMG_2922.jpg

Here's one of the things I picked up at the Rose Bowl way back in June. Avirex G1

IMG_2926.jpg

I forgot I had these photos from the other day on my phone. I've been trying decide on furniture for my new house. It's small, so a lot of what I have doesn't really fit. Plus, the new house is more mid-century modern than the old Victorian that I used to own. So, I settled on looking for vintage mid-century teak furniture from Denmark. The rich color of the wood is appealing, and I love the simple design and clean lines. I managed to find a dining table and four chairs for a very reasonable price via Salt Lake City's online classifieds, so I made a last minute trip down to pick them up. I'd say they fit well in my living/dining area.

67fa8386.jpg

While I was down there, I had to hit my favorite pizza place for a couple slices. It's the closest I can get to real NY pizza out here. It even looks like it's in NYC.

b11de146.jpg

79132b7a.jpg

Right around the corner is may favorite vintage mid-century furniture shop.

d9151d15.jpg

Mmm, an Eames rocker would look nice in my living room! It was a bit pricey for me at the moment, and my little VW was already packed full. I'll have to come back for that one...

5a2d785e.jpg

They also had an Eames lounger, which was well out of my price range. It was nice to see one in person, though.

f727eaf5.jpg

A little further down the street, I found some antique shops that I hadn't visited before, including a toy shop that just blew my mind.

0b09d562.jpg

7723e7a6.jpg

fa0b15fd.jpg

I picked up a little family of porcelain Siamese cats for my daughter's stocking. She has more little porcelain animals than she knows what to do with, but I knew she'd love them.

At some point, I unknowingly managed to slice my finger and got blood on my Roys. This shopping is serious business!

10f5b1b0.jpg

Edited by zissou

I was fairly close to IKEA, so I swung by and picked up a few little things for my house (and some chocolate). I was amazed to see dining tables and chairs for 3x the price of the ones I just picked up, at nowhere near the quality.

0c20f21b.jpg

Looking great, zissou! and i'm glad to hear that someone else has blood stains on their ROYs - my blood stain on my right thigh is slowly fading but looks like it'll be there through the end of the year. great pickup on the furniture too! I'm excited to start thinking about furniture... because i just moved up to LA! i start my new job tomorrow (eek), so i'm going to be "subletting" a guy's futon from tonight until Christmas, and then at that point shifting to another sublet through the end of January. This latter sublet is the much more exciting one, because it's actually a beautifully renovated 70's airstream trailer that a woman has parked in her backyard and rents out. I visited it yesterday and it's fantastic. Pictures when I move in there in a couple weeks. I'm hoping that between now and the end of Jan i find myself some longer-term digs and actually start creating a home for the first time in a long, long time. I'm pretty damn excited about the idea.

In other news, I'm pretty stoked about this Apolis linen chore coat I picked up at their (insane) sample sale on Friday:

IMG_0915-1.JPG

PS. on my picasaweb account I used to be able to click a "link to this photo" thing and it would give me a link to paste to different sizes of the image, but on my new computer it's not there. Anyone know why?