ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

eric moved to tahiti recently, don't know when he will be back with us.

Nice of him to let us know! Hope he brought that motorcycle with him...

384108_10150394938856835_508016834_8864459_1085036215_n.jpg

should have fixed the problem before this happened.

Oh the long list of problems I should have fixed before they happened.

...I'm just talking about my jeans.

Eh, just figure it's part of the reflection these jeans represent of your life of 2011.

380152_10150397245361835_508016834_8870066_1933347239_n.jpg

387273_10150397237421835_508016834_8870058_331095472_n.jpg

cleared this... MAN, MAN do i need a snowblower.

388399_10150397262746835_508016834_8870090_1099734000_n.jpg

I cleared our driveway so we could leave for church. We took off within about a 2 mile stretch we almost went into the ditch 3 times. Needless to say we turned around. This is what I'd planned to wear to church:

391097_10150397296871835_508016834_8870186_1027824537_n.jpg

Edited by robbie

An impromptu trip to the mountains of Angeles National Forest popped up as I was staying with a friend in LA.

We had intended to camp, but it turns out that all the camping sites close for the season on 1 Dec. Whoops! So instead we just had some lunch

photo%252520%2525283%252529.JPG

then I lazed around and cogitated

photo%252520%2525282%252529.JPG

as my friend worked on a project.

photo.JPG

I hadn't packed for LA expecting a trip to the mountains, so wound up in a bit of a silly outfit (there are four layers beneath that windbreaker: t-shirt, light wool sweater, Flat Head chambray, Levis wool shirt)

photo%252520%2525281%252529.JPG

Yes, i am a pansy for thinking I was cold right after Robbie's post...

The sky gave uss good company

photo%252520%2525285%252529.JPG

Oh, and this shouldn't surprise anybody...

photo%252520%2525284%252529.JPG

Edited by dkatz

On another note, given that the originally intended end date of this shindig is less than a month away, I propose that we solidify the way this "contest" will be "won."

End date: I think we're all in agreement that each individual contestant's end-date is the one year from when the original s/he wearer received his/her pair. Thus: I'm done on 1 Jan 12, pault one year from whenever he received his pair and adh92 one year from whenever ranon originally received his pair.

Submissions: I propose that once the last contestant has completed his/her year, each of us submits one post for our final submission - in other words, 10 images (640x480). I then suggest that pault edit the first post to reflect the final actual contestants, and include a link to each contestant's final submission for ease of location.

Judging: As I remember, the original idea had been that a corps of celebrity judges make the decision, but I'm much more of a fan of democracy (shockingly). I do still, however, think the celebrity judges should be involved. I thus propose:

each contestant and each once-contestant who remained involved (ranon) gets one point to assign to whichever pair other than his/her own s/he thinks is best. Each of the judges (roy, ralph thorpe and ringring if I remember correctly) would get to assign three points to their 1st-place pair, two points to 2nd-place and one point to their third place.

I also feel that pault, roy6, almostnice and rnr should be acknowledged for their role in getting this whole deal off the ground. If they were given more points to assign, however, it would put them at a disadvantage by moving points away from them. i thus propose that each of them starts with a 1 or 2 point "head start" (handicap? heh...). I'd be happy to serve as the host for this voting if you all trust me - everyone could just PM/email their votes to me and I can tally. For the sake of transparency, I could post the list where each point came from, e.g. "roy6: 1 (dkatz) + 2 (xxx) + 1 (yyy) [...] = total"

Thar's my thought!

Edited by dkatz

^I like it too, Daniel. You're in charge of the voting process, says I.

We should emerge with 5 finalists to submit to the celebrity judges, who are actually:

Carl Chiara, who started and ran LVC for some time

Ralphe Tharpe (possibly, or failing him then Roy S.), who worked at Cone for some time and who we all owe a "thank you"

& ringring, Ringring is ringring.

Personally, I think the pictures are good and all, but let's maybe add some extra brownie points for folks that participated a ton with posting and general camaraderie. You know "royness." When we all vote, think about the folks that posted a lot, took their roys to some cool spots and all. Of course this leaves me at a large disadvantage.

looks like your job as enumerator in uganda has served you well daniel, i say you take charge of the voting horse. great idea and system in place, seems fair from what i see. with regards to the number of images, i too think that 10 is a bit too much to look through but we could potentially miss out on some really nice and unique points of wear if we limit them to just 3. i think maybe we should cap the maximum number of images at 10 but people will just have 2 images (front and back pics) as placeholders for their names so we can get an overall glimpse of how they look like.

so for example,

Roy6

gorilla-front_1812433i.jpglowland-gorilla.jpg

more details:

URL

URL

URL

aside to that, i don't know how much you want to judge with the one year of wear thing. what if in the event that illumin8em receives pomata's pair next week or something? that way voting will be put off for an entire year...

OK, regarding points, I would really like to have a way to assign points to more than one person. Say. X had the best fading, but Y had the best creases, but Z had the best stories (or something)- it would be fun to give them all points. Can each of us please score jeans the same way as the judges, and then the top 5 highest scores goes to the judging round where points start over at zero?

The other question is- will people vote for themselves!? Maybe we shouldn't be allowed to? Sorry, I am adrunk, so I hope this makes sense.

I came in to mention that I thought there should be some kind of incentive for having posted updates frequently. There are people who barely updated the entire year who I would hate to see take the prize because they had good fades and were able to snap good pictures the last week of the contest.

I also agree there should either be catergories, or a certain number of total points as zissou was saying. Each person receives a base number of points, and then maybe add points based upon certain criteria. Say a point for contributing,a point for this and that.

Or we could take a part of that 'miss america' idea and have catergories such as 'best dressed' or 'best updates' or 'did the most traveling' or 'wrote a fucking book' and so forth.

Robbie, one word, Bridgestone Blizzaks (okay two words). I'm on a one man crusade with these things, and they don't pay me a dime. Seriously though, they are like snow magic. They even grip on black ice.

I'm for deciding winners and pictures however the movers and shakers here think is best. Rnr switch and almostnice should be allowed to vote for themselves (they should at least get a few points...)

I think dkatz counting the points is like a rich man who piles 100$ bills on the bed and just wallows in it, chanting mine, mine, all mine!.

talking of daniel, robbie is just too right. best faded pair? well, thats debatable, but his oh so rare, pathetic updates were of horrible quality. he should really loose a good amount of points for this.

and joseph, very sensible suggestion. if i am allowed to vote for my pair ( and it would only be logical and righteous if you all vote for them as well ), wouldn't it be handy if my rep points count as voting points?

Edited by almostnice

i like having points for things...

1 for most boxers worn in public

2 for best stories, posts

3 for best photo (s)

4 for best fades

5 for best female

i think we should be able to vote for ourselves

i think dkatz should count votes

i think we vote to get top 3 then judges get final say

Tossing these babies in for a proper wash. I am currently wearing their replacements while they dry:

001mediumf.jpg

003mediumh.jpg

008medium.jpg

014medium.jpg

010medium.jpg

015medium.jpg

thanks for the interest in this conversation. snide remarks aside, I'll be happy to do the legwork on this and I'll make it transparent - you'll all be able to see that I assigned your votes the way you wanted them. Okay so:

1. we are going to have a popular vote pick the top five and then have carl chiara, ralph tharpe/roy slaper and ringring choose the winner from that selection. [a query: why sideline roy? i figure he and ralph are really the "creators" of this contest so they both deserve a nod. i am, however, fully willing to be overruled on this.] The three judges will then communicate amongst themselves to pick the final winner. Another thought: there seems to be a lot of interest in having factors outside of the final appearance of the jeans (e.g., thread contribution, photos, adventures, etc) be a factor in determining the winner of this contest. However, none of the judges are likely to have this perspective since they haven't been part of the thread - I assume they'll be much more inclined to make the decision purely on appearance.

2. you guys are suggesting that the different categories have different point-values? I'm not gonna lie, this is sounding like it's getting a bit unnecessarily complicated. As per my comment above, if we give the judges the "best-looking jeans" vs. "best stories" vs "best female" vs "most photos urinating whilst wearing jeans", they're not going to have any frame of reference for these, and it's thus pretty likely that "best-looking" is a shoe-in for the win.

I would thus suggest that we assemble a "rubric" of factors that we would like everyone to keep in mind when voting and then everyone gets to vote for their best three pairs/contestants - in other words each of us gets to assign 1 point to 3 different contestants.

3. everyone is allowed to vote for themselves. However, if almostnice votes for himself, everyone else gets an extra point. if rnr votes for himself, the entire contest is scrapped and we all have to put our jeans through paper-shredders and walk backwards for a week.

Seriously, though, i don't think we should be able to vote for ourselves.

4. rnr, almostnice, roy6 and pault each start off with a ___ point handicap...?

5. yeah, 10 photos each is a lot - how about 5? front, back and 3 details. Seems reasonable. Yeah clicking back and forth through 30 pair (oh wait, 29... thank you world postal services) is a bit of a pain, but it really won't take that long for each of us. (says the unemployed, unattached guy).

ranon- illumin8em's last day would be 1 year from the day pomata originally received his pair.

I don't want there to be different categories. If there was best dressed and most likely to succeed would be mine. I think when we pop in our votes folks should just be cognizant of the contestants participation.

And, I will vote for myself. It is against my vanity and ego to not do so.

thanks for the interest in this conversation. snide remarks aside, I'll be happy to do the legwork on this and I'll make it transparent - you'll all be able to see that I assigned your votes the way you wanted them. Okay so:

1. we are going to have a popular vote pick the top five and then have carl chiara, ralph tharpe/roy slaper and ringring choose the winner from that selection. [a query: why sideline roy? i figure he and ralph are really the "creators" of this contest so they both deserve a nod. i am, however, fully willing to be overruled on this.] The three judges will then communicate amongst themselves to pick the final winner. Another thought: there seems to be a lot of interest in having factors outside of the final appearance of the jeans (e.g., thread contribution, photos, adventures, etc) be a factor in determining the winner of this contest. However, none of the judges are likely to have this perspective since they haven't been part of the thread - I assume they'll be much more inclined to make the decision purely on appearance.

It's the journey that makes these jeans interesting. So best stories + best looking pair = win. At least in my book.

I'm fine with however you guys want the vote to happen. This contest was definitely about the journey rather than the destination for me. It was a great year :)

Today is probably the first day I've worn the RxC since coming back from vacation & washing them. December is a suit & tie intensive month for me - I'm becoming quite grinch-like :angry:

6457490337_fc7a01cb58_z.jpg

^ looks like a good return! hope you get back to your denim-happy-place soon

It's the journey that makes these jeans interesting. So best stories + best looking pair = win. At least in my book.

As ever, i'm happy to be proven wrong!