ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Here's a little quick and dirty of the wedding locale. Most pictures are on other peoples cameras right now, but I'll slip these in before this next overtime week.

Boehmssmall.jpg

Why yes, we did get married at a chocolate factory. Of course if we have a son, he gets to be named Augustus Gloop.

Floriansmall.jpg

Always a good guy to have around.

chapelsmall.jpg

The actual ceremony was out back in a reproduction of a 12th century chapel in the Swiss Alps dedicated to fallen climbers.

cakesmall.jpg

The mrs may watch alot of Cake Boss, but we kept things itty-bitty with this, and we almost went without a cake at all. This was two days later. We're not real sugar fiends.

Edited by Joseph Hill

A chance to post some RxC updates. I feel like I am competing with ThisSunday with the MF jacket.

mfranchblouse.jpg

Oh, and congrats Joseph! Welcome to the club!

I was back out on Antelope Island State Park today, along with a group of folks who have participated in my classes. I like to have a monthly field day to get back together again and share stories and ideas. It was the perfect autumn day, 50F and sunny.

b566a087.jpg

We spent a fair amount of time exploring down on the shore of Great Salt Lake. I briefly considered a salt lake wash on the Roys, until I remembered how chilly it was. The salinity of GSL is about 15%, which is about 4X as salty as sea water.

8707d4e4.jpg

Beware of roaming bison!

be7f9154.jpg

OK, so my iPhone can do a lot , but it apparently cannot photograph swimming brine shrimp very well. It's a sea monkey!

206c7af1.jpg

When water temperatures drop this time of year, brine shrimp shift from giving birth to live young to producing cysts- hard-shelled eggs that can not only survive the winter, but hundreds of years in the muck. Cysts often float on the surface of the water, where they are harvested by companies that sell them to the aquaculture trade, primarily to feed prawns. This little glob in my hand probably contains several thousand cysts.

870bde93.jpg

The cool thing about the sand on the island is that it is formed much like a pearl is formed in an oyster shell. A little nucleus (brine shrimp poop) floats around in the water and concentric layers of calcium carbonate accumulate around it. As a result, we have little pearls of sand.

4e40bcb8.jpg

We headed back down to the old ranch house on the island, which is the oldest building in Utah on its original foundation.

02f54420.jpg

I tried to crank the tunes, but she wasn't working!

d25afc30.jpg

On the way back up the island, we had to nudge some bison out of the road with our cars.

5b444a60.jpg

We had to stop and check out the banded gneiss outcrops. Oddly enough, this is one of the oldest rocks in Utah, but it sits atop younger rock layers. It's all from the old thrust faults, which pushed old layers on top of newer, and then the layers on top of the old layer eroded down.

163e8e61.jpg

Edited by zissou

Roys on three Billion year old rocks. Top that!

3d612d45.jpg

The banding on the rocks was mesmerizing.

bd64f462.jpg

The sun sets early these days, so it's time to head home!

62f51dc3.jpg

A piece of scrap camel leather from dkatz!

Thanks mate :)

Trimmed, stretched and had some oils worked in...

pb230161.jpg

It has the characteristic 3 hair follicle arrangement in a straight line, but there're no wool follicles on this one.

pb230172.jpg

Edited by mikecch

Hi folks, hope you're all well, sorry, I've been away in a writing bunker.

Great to see Sweapea and Ray here! Will post pics when I have a mo.

IN the meantime, please check out my sig - the market blog I mentioned a few months ago is now up and running. And I've started to pull over a fair bit of my SuFu stuff on to my own blog, Loomstate. Just trying to stem the flow of request for info on 1947 Levi's. My PMs seem to stand at 447 unread, I'm not sure I'll get back to everyone, whether they're real or a figment of the SuFu imagination.

^ a picture worth a thoudsand words markus! :D

Some out-takes from cottage country

So i edited through some more shots from cottage country…

A random pic from trail biking

6394929485_743b554bea_z.jpg

One of the things I love about autumn is the colours - lots of vibrant green juxtaposed with the orange tones

6394943595_148cc3be7e_z.jpg

6394946321_5bf8bfa059_z.jpg

We'll have to take care of this when winter sets in…

6394931647_5a8fe6e171_z.jpg

We had a bumper crop of young pine trees

6394936061_277961d4d2_z.jpg

We decided to relocate some of them to areas that needed more erosion control

6394948931_20e5a3089e_z.jpg

Feels good

6394926567_c76d92455c_z.jpg

continued..

While we were digging, we unearthed this little guy. At first we thought he was dead, but no - just asleep, and grumpy to be awakened

6394921963_2d73c6cc6e_z.jpg

6394959933_b9ecd69138_z.jpg

We discovered tons of these seed pods

6394951119_154b018fd8_z.jpg

6394956743_2622fcc52f_z.jpg

Snow??

6394954843_67c31fc28a_z.jpg

Nah, Just us having some fun!

6394923907_ffd23a95f4_z.jpg

Pups had a great time too :)

6394940237_a9832f1186_z.jpg

Gorgeous photos, riff... what a wonderful time of year this is.

Hi Ran, I see you've found loomstate.co.uk - thanks v much for the comments! I've actually had an insane amout of traffic on the RRL story.

The market site is marketpeople.org

I could spend 15 minutes working out how to do links on the new SuFu but maybe life is too short.

I shall try some photos for the hell of it. I've rediscovered TriX, too...

nipperandpearlyking.jpg

nipper2.jpg

PRandROys.jpg

DanandLes.jpg

Lasts.jpg

Edited by Paul T