ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

chop5.jpg

chop4.jpg

chop3.jpg

I decided the ROYs needs some chopper fadez, so I took the boy on his first helicopter ride. My ol' lady's uncle is a pilot in Virginia. He sent him the flight jacket. My kid isn't the biggest fan of denim. He prefers "soft" pants -- all basketball shorts and sweat pants.

chop2.jpg

Keep your head down.

chop1.jpg

About an hour after my ride this happened.

Yes, very freaky. We'd actually stopped at a park in the town and were eating a picnic and playing with the kids when we saw the ambulance headed toward the airport. My wife instantly said it was a crash. I doubted it until we left town and saw three other ambulances approaching from Park City, the bigger town just up the road. We went from such a high to such a low.

Also, it is freaky to see the photo of the cockpit from the paper. I remember latching that seat belt and thinking to myself, "I wonder how much good this will do in a crash."

@TG76, I should have bought a lotto ticket THAT morning. All my luck was spent on that 5 minute heli ride.

Honestly, though, I feel some guilt about posting that story. It's a helluva tale, but there are three people still in the hospital.

We've been really lucky the last couple of years and my brother and I have been able to join my parents in visiting my Grandmother and my Aunt/uncle/cousins in Spokane Washington. My grandma moved out there a few years ago from Bartlesville Oklahoma (as Robbie posted earlier, the home of the Frank Lloyd Wright's Price Tower...one of the weirdest buildings I've ever been in).

Last year I was able to convince everyone to go to White's boots to check it out. I ended up getting fitted for a pair of semi dress and this time visited White's again while wearing my pair. This time we went for the tour of the factory.

I cannot recommend this enough. If you are in the area you really should make an appointment and check it out. Really cool. Unfortunately I am an idiot and didn't bring a real camera. I also kinda felt weird taking pictures, so I just used my phone.

this is where I decided I couldn't live with my self if I didn't take any pictures. This is the repair guy. Hes in charge of rebuilds, resoles, etc... In this picture he's ripping up all the stitching like a mad man. very fast.

09f33c87.jpg

these are racks of shoes ready to be repaired.

4b35b111.jpg

this is the room where they stitch the soles on. notice the rapid E machines. Our guide (Rob) told us they snatch these things up any time they can. I saw 4 in the room, along with 1 modern replacement (they dont make rapid E machines anymore).

bf15a446.jpg

this is one of the finishing rooms - you can see a nice semi-dress there in the window. lots of leather dust.

8810c880.jpg

this is in the White's boots room. All the stitching and hand lasting for White's happens in one room. The hathorn guys are also in the room but off in the corner. They're basically being trained to be White's workers eventually. this is a photo of one of the White's workers hand lasting a boot. apparently all the workers in here make their own thread. pretty cool.

3227f788.jpg

these guys are pounding on heels

542d0c92.jpg

e4cad76f.jpg

this is where the loose laces and stuff get burned off before inspection.

continued...

the rest of the trip was pretty laid back. My grandma is a kind of family historian. Since both my grandparents were the only child in their family, my grandma has all the stuff from my dad's side of the family. Lots of interesting things.

her dad was a sailor and a photographer - this is his book plate - I thought it was awesome.

375dd70b.jpg

sunday we went to a picnic at a winery and watched a beatles tribute band. John and Ringo were really good. George was OK and Paul was a horrible singer. it was still fun.

ddaa284c.jpg

c20e6672.jpg

my grandma was doin a little dancin. shes 88 mind you.

d49cdeda.jpg

18e6e7d9.jpg

waywt : we went shopping for a new chair for my grandma. this chair was insane. went completely horizontal. totally ugly though.

32ff1664.jpg

Ugly or not, I need that chair :)

I was out of town on business for the better part of last week, and never got a chance to update…

We spent a day at the Busker Fest - street acts, jugglers, crowds, and, of course - food!

6125930194_f3f6f22638_z.jpg

6125376075_9d3deed3c9_z.jpg

6125962994_b0207edacd_z.jpg

I had to get this shot :D

6125913610_99955ea1a1_z.jpg

Elvis??

6125357601_0b27e22592_z.jpg

6125887730_4b01b54d7a_z.jpg

riff the pic with the fat woman rear view and thin woman on stilts is ART! Both women play a pivotal role in the beauty of that shot.

went for a walk down and around the basin

imposter!

weekend1.jpg

new shade sail things on old unused bridge

weekend2.jpg

new art on the boardwalk (its a giant eel net)

weekend3.jpg

new seats and new grass

weekend4.jpg

more new art

weekend5.jpg

old art

weekend7.jpg

reason council is spending all this money and making stuff look nicer

weekend8.jpg

home to drink free wines

weekend9.jpg

woken up to the sound of a weird bird

was a pheasant on the neighbours roof, saus is unimpressed

end1t.jpg

went for a walk down and around again

end2a.jpg

markets under the new shade sail things

loads of crafty crap and these men making noise

end3.jpg

loving the first sunny day in months

end4t.jpg

trees

end5.jpg

damn bird was waiting for me when i got home

end6.jpg

it flew up on my leg and pecked at me, then it followed me up the drive and up the stairs and i shut the door on it, it pecked at the door

then went to watch some girls dance so i could come up with costumes for them, sorry no pics of teenage girls in tights

then went for a paddle

end7.jpg

to try out my new underwater camera

end8.jpg

and new carbon paddle

end9n.jpg

there were creepy birds watching

end10.jpg

then we went out on a diner date

the end

went for a walk down and around the basin

imposter!

weekend1.jpg

Reminds me... I just watched exit through the gift shop... hilarious.

Geez, Mike, at first glance, I couldn't see any post-wash photos! :) Maybe you could use some of my 'miner's detergent'?

Speaking of which- here are mine drying on the fence after their fourth hand wash. I'll have a sizable update later today...

16879351.jpg