ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Jungle steezin'

Picture%252520646.jpg

Picture%252520647.jpg

VINES!

Picture%252520653.jpg

On the way back, we found this super creepy little bungalow built into the hillside

IMG_3553.JPG

IMG_3549.JPG

Maybe if I had dug around I would have found some Sansome-esque 19th century kitenge scraps?

A beautiful flame tree on the boda ride home from Lake Nkuruba

IMG_1979.jpg

Jungle-cuffs...

IMG_1987.jpg

Ended the day with some nice r&r

IMG_1990.jpg

The next morning, decided to do a jungle EDC shot

IMG_2010.jpg

On our way to another lake we stopped by the "Top of the World" hill

Picture%252520659.jpg

Gorgeous, Heech! Sorry to keep bogarting, but want to get all this shit up while I can...

Stopped by Nkuruba for breakfast

IMG_2022.jpg

Some different fauna this time: hornbills

IMG_3565.JPG

And on to the gorgeous Ndali Lodge

STB_2025.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

Back on the trail

Picture%252520678.jpg

Nice tree...

Picture%252520681.jpg

for climbing!

IMG_3596.JPG

Down a windy little trail

IMG_2038.jpg

to a bustlin harbor

IMG_2042.jpg

and back up

Picture%252520695.jpg

Jungles make me feel like this:

Picture%252520716.jpg

Up to a slightly different ecosystem

Picture%252520701.jpg

Wandering through village paths, wound up traipsing through a homestead

IMG_3607.JPG

IMG_2056.jpg

I was pretty nervous about hanging around for a minute to snap a couple quick pictures, due to the fearsome...

IMG_3614.JPG

GUARD DUCK!

Continuging along. I love the blue borehole gate

IMG_3621.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

Homegirl was inspired to show off her ninja skills

IMG_3636.JPG

Then I decided it was a good idea to follow a "trail" down to the waterside again.

Homegirl was less than entertained.

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

Finished out the hike by trekking through a different sort of "jungle": a primary school

IMG_3652.JPG

...where we picked up an entourage

IMG_2068.jpg

Finally they went their way and we went ours

IMG_3662.JPG

There's a storm a-brewin'

IMG_3673.JPG

The next night I discovered our tent was under close guard from all birds, small primates and other intruders. The next morning I made friends with our guard.

IMG_2079.jpg

We decided to drive into Kibale Forest a bit.

Lousy photo, but we learned that the locals have some interesting habits

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_3694.JPG

Stopped for some breakfast on the other side of the forest. Mmm, katogo (sarcasm...).

Picture%252520722.jpg

Passed by this nice looking place.

IMG_2096.jpg

But wait a second, is that...

IMG_2097.jpg

Whoa now!

Two more posts' worth of photos for now, hope you all won't ban me for this bomb...

Some more locals having a drink

IMG_3702.JPG

Baboons everywhere! They're considered quite a pest in this part of the world. The babies are still cute, though!

IMG_2099.jpg

There must have been about 50 of them at this point. Kinda spooky.

IMG_2100.jpg

Didn't want to run out of fuel around the baboons, so stopped at a petrol station

IMG_2106.jpg

Picked up a bit of a DIY dinner

IMG_2107.jpg

Hey little guy!

IMG_2109.jpg

Next morning, Into Bigodi Wetlands Sanctuary

IMG_3705.JPG

IMG_3706.JPG

At least somebody's hard at work

IMG_2111.jpg

IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_3707.JPG

Get a room, you two. This is a family show.

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_3713.JPG

Passed by some interesting exotic fauna. Notice how the body covering is carefully selected for maximum African-jungle-trekking-suitability and REI-supplied awkwardness. Me? Judgmental?

IMG_2118.jpg

Guarding neighboring crop fields from monkey invasions (seriously...)

IMG_2119.jpg

Back to Fort Portal. Damn traffic jams.

IMG_2120.jpg

After that action-packed five days, I met up with my good friend to visit her village home for the weekend.

IMG_2122.jpg

After so much moving for so many days, spending a weekend doing nothing but eating and sleeping was exactly what the doctor ordered. Not much to see; spent most of my time like this

Daniel.JPG

All right, I'll leave you all alone for a bit now. Got a handful of pictures (not nearly as much, I promise) to share from Nairobi, Kigali and my last days in Kampala (!!!) but I'll put those up in the next couple days. Now, back to travel-preparations!

Wonderful, wonderful photos, dkatz! It looks like you two are having quite an adventure. Can't wait to see what else you have.

IMG_3450.JPG

great picture you great ape. when i saw all these posts that you put up flooding 2 whole pages, i had the good mind to neg you but hell, those are such fantastic updates. i couldnt have asked for better updates, you are tearing this thread and your ROY x CONE's apart my friend. holy cow. more more more!

docblue, great pic of you on the bike, very cool.

good stuff from this thread. love it!

IMG_3702.JPG

Awesome posts, all, Daniel! You're going to miss Africa, aren't you?

I'll just throw this out there, not particularly at D since a lot of people have been doing this lately- I'm really not a fan of people making their pictures just a little (or a lot) larger than everyone else's (640pixels wide). It probably sounds like a good idea, but all it ends up doing is making me zoom out so I can see the whole picture, so I end up seeing them the same size anyway, but with the text illegibly small.

Maybe I'm just old and cranky.

Yep. I agree with you.

.......so I end up seeing them the same size anyway, but with the text illegibly small.

Reading glasses are a buck a pop at the pharmacy - get a pair, you old fart! :P

Awesome Daniel! Doc, seriously badass - glad you are up-and-about!

yCPGf.jpg

I love Little Cottonwood Canyon. Not that any of you will, but if any of you ever make it Utahway, there are two spots that you need to have at the top of list 1) Moab/Arches National Park 2) Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Hiking on the opposite side of the canyon is a blast, literally, there are signs regularly posted warning hikers to stay clear of old blasting caps as the area was mined for a century before it became a ski resort.

A friend and drinking buddy of mine was a deputy marshal for the town of Alta and has some great stories. Before his brief foray into law enforcement he worked on avalanche control which consisted of waking very early and firing a Korean-War era artillery piece at those mountains to trigger avalanches. That, or skiing along one of the ridges dropping charges off the edge and hopping the explosion or subsequent avalanche didn't kill him.

I love Little Cottonwood Canyon. Not that any of you will, but if any of you ever make it Utahway, there are two spots that you need to have at the top of list 1) Moab/Arches National Park 2) Little Cottonwood Canyon.

Hiking on the opposite side of the canyon is a blast, literally, there are signs regularly posted warning hikers to stay clear of old blasting caps as the area was mined for a century before it became a ski resort.

Little Cottonwood sure is great. The couple of days up there with my class reminded me that I need to spend more time up there. I never noticed before, but there are mine waste piles all over the hillsides up there. The mines are surely too wet to find some old denim :(

Thanks for the tip on Parley's. I work out of Park City from time to time, and sometimes bring my daughter along...

I'd add Bryce Canyon to the list and for me, the top of the list. It's especially nice in the Winter.

Speaking of Bryce Canyon in winter: The skier is another friend and drinking buddy named Noah Howell. The guys I drink with are a lot more interesting than me, you guys should have invited one of them into the contest.

n-4XI-3-pn0

Paul- your wood floors are damn amazing!!! We have the same taste in furniture as well. nice posts.

Dkatz- you're on fire. your girl can jump too

Erk, Cash, roy6 nice posts as well.

I helped the GF arrange a book signing with Mike at the Levi's store in Malibu and snapped some pics that's gonna be published in Malibu magazine. Here are some of the pics.

Apologies as I'll have to just post the link to my blog because I can't upload everything 2 times as time doesn't permit me to do so.

Click HERE to see the pics.

Cheers!!!

Dkatz, that last round is better than National Geographic by far. Mostly because it actually looks like a heck of alot of fun! I'm not much good for computerizing links and such, but if you can find Bunny Lamonte of Circus Contraption doing 'The Race is On' it gives a pretty good view of my impression of your adventures.

You guys are making me miss Utah something fierce. I've been a couple of times as both me and the G have friends in Salt Lake. I love when the wind shakes the aspen leaves.

Thank you everyone on the congratulations. We have been sort of defacto engaged for some time, but only just now actually said the 'will you's and 'yes's properly. If I have any advice for the younger folks here, it's get married when you are young. When you get as old as I am, it's really very hard to switch gears from the liberty of bachelorhood. Well, it's probably never easy, but it only gets worse.