ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

Mike, you are my hero! Consequently, I'm now able to fly out to SF and LA at a moments notice...I think I should finally take you up on some "expeditions" although I won't be able to sport the ROY's....How does your schedule look this summer?

Running into a comrade in ROYs was a great way to start the race. Zis has the inside track on those chambray skivees.

You'll forgive the expression on my face -- this was a combination of a hangover, too much caffeine and nerves about the race. I need to gather photos from people in a handful of locations, but a race post is coming.

Missed this earlier... Damn, starting that race with a hangover?? All of my friends said that the running was no problem, but the sleep deprivation killed them. They were all zombies that night. Let's see some photos!

I'm in full scouting mode for my new class that starts 7/1. It will focus on mountain ecosystems in Utah, and its the last of three courses that I've had to develop over the past few years. It's always a ton of work, so it's a relief to have the class actually start.

So, my daughter and I spent the day in Park City scoping out some hikes, chatting with trip leaders, and visiting the Park City Museum. Park City made its mark as a silver boom town after it was discovered in 1868. The museum commemorates the mining history and early settlement of the town.

cd491b49.jpg

Heading down into the shaft...

e8a241ed.jpg

Fire up the drill...

66e1dd07.jpg

And blast out some rock.

7d5ee042.jpg

After all that work, I had to head to the general store for some more Fels Naptha to wash my Roys.

7a66bff8.jpg

As well as another box of dynamite

a218c094.jpg

My daughter was misbehaving, so I threw her in jail for a few minutes. (The museum was built around the old city hall, which has the original Territorial Jail in the basement)

cb97e45b.jpg

Doesn't look too comfortable!

adab3862.jpg

Now I just have to Redjester her by writing her name on the wooden staircase.

f6d4a73c.jpg

The cellmate next door is Morse Barker, who's been doing time since 1937.

405bedf0.jpg

Ah, I gave in and let her out. We're hanging out in the hotel room now, me on one bed, and her jumping on the other...

A little while a go I shot the Huntington Park SWAT Team while they trained. I would not want to F with these doods.

Here's a small selection of the pics.

QMSWAT_0605.jpg

twins? :)...

i think if you two would change clothes, the pic still would look the same in some ways :D (though i don`t believe that the other guy could fit the roys as well as you do.)...

I don't hit West London that often.... it's great, but it doesn't feel mine. Last night we ventured out that way, though...

Finally it's stopped raining. The big building is the shard - I've posted pics of it with the glass cladding just started. Now the exterior is nearing completion. This will be the tallest building in Europe, designed by Renzo Piano. I don't think it's one of his most inspired designs - supposedly jagged and complex, it looks clumsier than the renderings. Of course. From some views it's awful, in particular Parliament Hill - but here it frames the river nicely. Tower Bridge is just to the left... and below The Shard and just to the right you can see a replica of the Golden Hind - the ship in which francis Drake circumnavigated the world, and robbed loads of treasure form the Spanish...

Shard.jpg

We were headed for the Albert Hall... to see Bright Eyes. I know it's uncool in the US where they're huge, but there's a couple of their albums I really rate. But this was a hilarious audience, loads of American girls over to see their heart-throb. They chatted all the way through, whooped in the quiet bits, and kept sending texts or emails to their friends, with lots of smileys. You know the kind of thing...

bandpic1.jpg

bandpic2.jpg

The Albert Hall itself is beautiful.. High Victorian, with beautiful champage bars. THey also have an exhibition of Yuri Gagarin photos around the corridors which somehow suited the music...

alberthallcircle.jpg

WE had to leg it home quickly afterwards to make it back to our part of town.... hence the blurred photos. The Albert Memorial is right opposite the Albert Hall, a high Victorian shrine to Victoria;s husband, who died fairly young. The shrine looks religious, as if he's Jesus or at least a major saint.But those taxis weren't going anywhere... traffic jams all round, made it home maybe an hour later.

memorial.jpgoutside.jpg

I would not have guessed you being into bright eyes Paul. The desaparecidos maybe, but I suppose really its no surprise a music guy is into music .

That building is awesome. I would love to visit some day, I would imagine its the sort of place that demands your respect and almost reverence considering all the acts who've played it.

great post.

well yeah, the desaparecidos were always one of my mojo faves - but then I was blown away by I'm Wide Awake it's Morning...[/i

Funnily enough, I think the last act I saw at the Albert Hall might've beem Tony Bennett. The crowd were not too similar.

Bright Eyes is great though I haven't seen them in ages. Happened to be living in Nebraska when they just started to get some traction and got to see them at the Cog Factory in Omaha. They played for maybe 100 people back then. Oh how things have changed.

Mike, you are my hero! Consequently, I'm now able to fly out to SF and LA at a moments notice...I think I should finally take you up on some "expeditions" although I won't be able to sport the ROY's....How does your schedule look this summer?

I hope you don't mind the heat, looks like you have a flexible schedule (must be nice) Zissou...Farhad...Paul and devilish:D- nice post.

A handful of friends run the Ragnar Wasatch Back Relay each year. One of their runners backed out and they tapped me as an alternate -- lucky me (10char). As Zis noted this is a 192 mile relay through the mountains of Utah. If you are running it with the traditional 12-person team, you break it up into two vans and each runner takes three legs over 18-30 hours. The running isn't going to kill you, but the sleep deprivation is a challenge.

ragbooze.jpg

I get together with a bunch of friends every Thursday to drink. I was going to take it easy, but this bottle showed up. And....

940f81c9.jpg

...I ended up in a goofy mood as coffee, nerves and that Scotch were battling it out inside me the next morning. Zis' jawns are looking outstanding. It was great to meet up with this fella, I wish we'd had a bit more time to talk, but I had to run....literally.

2010_06_18_0055.jpg?w=420&h=315

The route starts in Logan and heads out through a very scenic valley. My first leg was up over Avon Pass. Here is a photo I stole from the Internet. This leg was just shy of 8 miles and 1,200 feet of climb.

ragbaby.JPG

After my leg the final runner in our group ran down the other side of the mountain and into another scenic valley, where my wife and kids caught up with us for a late lunch. I'm sure the functional eyewear won't win me rep, but aside from the bandamna, steez last weekend was running fast not looking good.

ragJune_in_Utah.jpg

June in Utah?!?!

As the van 2 ran around for a couple hours, our group took a break, I had a nice ruben and we headed up to the second exchange at a great ski resort. Anyone heading Utah-way for some skiing, this is a good spot as it is a bit cheaper than the more popular resorts and less crowded.

ragnight.jpg

On to the night legs. You are required to run in a headlight and reflective vest at night. We all end up looking like a crazed road crew trotting around in the dark. My second leg ran out of Morgan, Utah. The leg was just shy of 5 miles and I was ready for a nap....Unfortunatly the official sleep spot was a high school gym on wrestling mats. I suspect I will come down with a nasty staph infection on my face from trying to sleep on that mat. Trust me, not the best way to spend the night.

ragrunner.jpg

Now the run heads toward Park City and the finish.

ragTeam.jpg

The team. They do a '80s television themed team. They don't run in costumes, but they make up shirts. The team name was In The Thicke of The Night -- Canadian Alan Thicke was the mascot.

Hebervalley.jpg

My final leg was down into Heber, Utah. This was my only flat/down hill finish, which I was happy about, needless to say. The leg was 3 miles and I ran like hell. The exchange was in front of the cemetery where my grandfather is buried. At this point the run was done for me, so the team headed to a cafe and I had a cold beer that I couldn't rate as the fatigue made that brew taste like the nectar of the gods.

ragfit.JPG

This week I got another treat. One of those sample pieces PaulT picked up from LVC made its way to my house (didn't fit the original owner).

Kangol

LVC

RxC

Saucony

Great post Cash.

Devilish- Watch what you say about Brit rock to Paul T. I said one little thing about the Beetles when I was in London and Paul shed a single tear right before back handing me.

Paul and I would probably agree on about 90% of our music taste, is my guess. Bright Eyes is just in the other 10% and I have no idea if he likes Coldplay (I really hope not though)

Me like Coldplay? That's fighting talk where I come from.

i am astonished by the quality of the pics posted here.

makes me feel like a real piece of shit sometimes but it is true.

i got an idea growing : i would be fucking happy to get a real book of that year with all the greatest pics of the thread.

problem is i dunno how to do it so ideas are welcomed .

best idea i came with so far is to tag the pics we think worthable and collect the raw jpeg somewhere then send all that to some book maker,( i personnaly use Aperture services and i am always satisfied).

problem is how to tag the pics and who collect the originals?

i would gladly do it but i am far from being the best placed to do that job...

well that is my 2 cents think of the day.

(Sansome landscape pic is tagged imo, Paul T 's pic of the skyscrapper just to mention the last 2 i saw . -)

Hell yeah, cash! Great photos, and yeah, it was totally random. Whenever I had a break in registering teams, I would sit back and look at everyone nervously preparing and think to myself: "Bunch of damn crazy people!" :)

I wish this wasn't the busiest time in a couple years for me or I would bring my daughter down to SLC more. there's always time for late summer/autumn meets, yeah?

hahah zissou, too comical the shot of you throwing your daughter in prison. fun times with the young one. you look like you have lost weight. have you?

It was a great time, indeed. We got home tonight, and I was happy to realize that we still have a weekend, after feeling like we spent a weekend exploring. Nah, I haven't lost weight lately- I've always been a skinny guy. Maybe I am just wearing less layers now that it's summer?? :)

More photos to come tomorrow...

And thanks for the nice +rep note, Heech!